Simon Goodwin: Why so little noise?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point, but there's been close to 0 heat.

It's less then duration/years of failure, and more how spectacular it has been.

Disappointment = Expectation - Actual Outcome.

At least with the Saints no-one expected them to be a Top 8 team. Similar with Bolts and North.

Melbourne were expected to win the flag by some. Traded in Lever and May to make your backline elite. Everything has been thrown in and done for the Premiership window...and then this.
Richardson has been in charge of the Saints for 6 years and had never gotten them to the finals. In fact I think he only had one season with a winning record. His coaching this year for everything the Saints have gone through has been alright but he was always going to struggle to see the year out

Bolton was stuffed the moment that SOS trading their first rounder away last year and in many ways is a victim of Carlton over achieving in his first two seasons. 3 wins in almost 40 games or whatever is was was always going to be hard to stay in a job

Brad Scott was a bit of a shock. Considering what he has had to do with with that team over 10 years I reckon he did a really good job. Having said that, any coach who has been in a job for 10 years without making a grand final is always going to be 1 bad season away from losing his job

Goodwin came in and went 12-10, 16-9 with a PF and then has had a shocking year this year no one can deny that. But his record after almost 3 years still sits at 50% and he delivered the clubs first finals appearance in 10+ years (that buys him time)

Fair point, but there's been close to 0 heat.

It's less then duration/years of failure, and more how spectacular it has been.

Disappointment = Expectation - Actual Outcome.

At least with the Saints no-one expected them to be a Top 8 team. Similar with Bolts and North.

Melbourne were expected to win the flag by some. Traded in Lever and May to make your backline elite. Everything has been thrown in and done for the Premiership window...and then this.
See that’s where it’s a load of bullshit media circle jerk, and it annoys me how people buy it. You realise last year prior to beating the Eagles in Perth we were a loss away from falling from the 8? We had a dominant patch before being flogged in our first real challenge by Collingwood, dropped away, then finished with two good wins prior to two finals wins.

So were we a real PF side? Or did we just get it together at the end? The media got hot and sweaty about us where in reality they should’ve bemoaned our lacklustre PF more and our sketchy season. We are just not a great side, inconsistent, and not finals ready let alone flag ready. Personally I thought we’d finish 7-8, how wrong I was.

See that’s where it’s a load of bulls**t media circle jerk, and it annoys me how people buy it. You realise last year prior to beating the Eagles in Perth we were a loss away from falling from the 8? We had a dominant patch before being flogged in our first real challenge by Collingwood, dropped away, then finished with two good wins prior to two finals wins.

So were we a real PF side? Or did we just get it together at the end? The media got hot and sweaty about us where in reality they should’ve bemoaned our lacklustre PF more and our sketchy season. We are just not a great side, inconsistent, and not finals ready let alone flag ready. Personally I thought we’d finish 7-8, how wrong I was.
Yeah most people (me included) didn't realise how close Melbourne were from missing the 8.

Still can't just say it's the media though. Champion Data had you ranked 1st for list strength. And on paper the ruck, midfield and backline are all amongst the best names.

Anyway, happy for Goodwin to stay on. Just was a bit annoying he seemed to get special treatment and it's consistent with the narrative that Melbourne gets special treatment/protection from the AFL-elites (Gil, Roos etc)

Yeah most people (me included) didn't realise how close Melbourne were from missing the 8.

Still can't just say it's the media though. Champion Data had you ranked 1st for list strength. And on paper the ruck, midfield and backline are all amongst the best names.
Ruck yes. Backline? There were no guarantees we’d get May and Lever would’ve been out most of the year. Oscar McDonald won’t get another game unless there’s an injury, which leaves Frost (great second or third tall) then Hibberd, Jetta and Salem.

Midfield is good if you want to judge contested ball winning ability as your major determinant. Outside run, speed, disposal all fail miserably.

You don’t have to be the best player to be the captain, and Jones has worked incredibly hard his entire career in a very poor team. His standards have always been really high. Age catches up with everyone however. Viney was inspirational in both our finals wins last year, his intensity was ridiculous.

I tend to think Jones should step down next year and leave Viney to it or maybe he should relinquish it also and give it to someone else. I don’t know. I think Viney should focus on being a really solid player first and foremost.

my point is that jones and viney start each week in the midfield somewhere-I would suggest partly because they are captains. Whatever they have done in the past isn't overly relevant as they are both very limited players. Viney literally can only crash and bash and kick in up in the air or 30 metres. He can't spread and his two way running is limited and he aint a goalkicker. As I said, no independent judge could possibly have either of them in the best 30-40 mids in the comp yet they start every week for you guys...I don't think it helps.

Because Goodwin coached Melbourne to finals, and won a couple of them last year, something the three previous coaches (including Paul Roos) didn't do.

Hell, if you are going to give a spud of a coach like Dean Bailey five years, then Goodwin deserves at least that long.

Goodwin, Lyon, Hinkley, Woosha why don't we just get rid of them all?

20292585833_2b5df81809.jpg

Anyway, happy for Goodwin to stay on. Just was a bit annoying he seemed to get special treatment and it's consistent with the narrative that Melbourne gets special treatment/protection from the AFL-elites (Gil, Roos etc)

?

Cmon mate, last time I checked we actually got a fine for tanking and you guys got off for free.

Goodwin will be under immense pressure next year if we start poorly.

Brad Scott was a bit of a shock. Considering what he has had to do with with that team over 10 years I reckon he did a really good job. Having said that, any coach who has been in a job for 10 years without making a grand final is always going to be 1 bad season away from losing his job

Scott had some significant shortcomings which bred a culture of mediocrity over a long time. More than any other coach at North, he would play his group of favourites no matter how badly they were playing, or how well others were going in the VFL. He'd turn up to press conferences, puff out the chest and say 'I'll back my players to the hilt". Whereas what he meant was, I won't drop my favourites.

It doesn't sound that bad on the face of it but it meant standards were compromised.

The other thing - he got outcoached a lot and was very reluctant to make changes during games.

There was a lot of hot air salesman type speak at press conferences mixed in with petulance when he didn't like a question. Most North supporters are rapt he's gone and find Shaw a breath of fresh air with his genuineness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott had some significant shortcomings which bred a culture of mediocrity over a long time. More than any other coach at North, he would play his group of favourites no matter how badly they were playing, or how well others were going in the VFL. He'd turn up to press conferences, puff out the chest and say 'I'll back my players to the hilt". Whereas what he meant was, I won't drop my favourites.

It doesn't sound that bad on the face of it but it meant standards were compromised.

The other thing - he got outcoached a lot and was very reluctant to make changes during games.

There was a lot of hot air salesman type speak at press conferences mixed in with petulance when he didn't like a question. Most North supporters are rapt he's gone and find Shaw a breath of fresh air with his genuineness.
The other thing - he got outcoached a lot and was very reluctant to make changes during games.Must be genetic cos it runs in the family

Injuries. The preseason toll was bad enough and had plenty of people talking when we were really bad but the situation hasn’t improved one iota. Of our best back 5 (because the 6th is often rotating):

May - 6/16
Lever - 2/16
Frost - 16/16
Hibberd - 13/16
Jetta - 5/16

It’s been impossible to pin down all year. Some blokes have been great (Hore), some ok (Fritsch), some terrible. Add that to McDonald having a mare early and the dysfunctional forward line, and it’s no surprise.

The other thing is our depth has been smashed. Plenty of second run players who just haven’t been fit. The sides who have had success in recent years have mostly had that fit depth to cover injuries to top liners - it’s not happening here.

See that’s where it’s a load of bulls**t media circle jerk, and it annoys me how people buy it. You realise last year prior to beating the Eagles in Perth we were a loss away from falling from the 8? We had a dominant patch before being flogged in our first real challenge by Collingwood, dropped away, then finished with two good wins prior to two finals wins.

had we lost our last 2 games we would have still played finals

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

you know the team better than i do, so i wont argue with you.

But do you honestly think North have had a team good enough to make a grand final or win a premiership over the last 10 years?

I tend to think Jones should step down next year and leave Viney to it or maybe he should relinquish it also and give it to someone else. I don’t know. I think Viney should focus on being a really solid player first and foremost.
Viney is practically illiterate. We need somebody with some oratory skills to be our captain. Just give it to Gawn and be done with it. I couldn't stand listening to Viney as our sole captain. He sounds about as sophisticated as a 7 year-old. He should just focus on being a consistent player. That he can do.

you know the team better than i do, so i wont argue with you.

But do you honestly think North have had a team good enough to make a grand final or win a premiership over the last 10 years?

No we weren't good enough but part of that over 10 years - which is a long time obviously - was about him allowing standards to be compromised by comfortable senior players who should've been dropped and moved on. He didn't make tough decisions.

And since he's left, the same side/list that he complained about as not having enough talent has done a lot better over 6 or so weeks. No coincidence - it's amazing how the media hasn't actually asked wtf Scott was actually doing.

Viney is practically illiterate. We need somebody with some oratory skills to be our captain. Just give it to Gawn and be done with it. I couldn't stand listening to Viney as our sole captain. He sounds about as sophisticated as a 7 year-old. He should just focus on being a consistent player. That he can do.
Viney is a full time gamer. When he isn’t playing or training he is gaming.

No we weren't good enough but part of that over 10 years - which is a long time obviously - was about him allowing standards to be compromised by comfortable senior players who should've been dropped and moved on. He didn't make tough decisions.

And since he's left, the same side/list that he complained about as not having enough talent has done a lot better over 6 or so weeks. No coincidence - it's amazing how the media hasn't actually asked wtf Scott was actually doing.
Who do you think should’ve been shifted sooner?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back