Simon Goodwin: Why so little noise?

Remove this Banner Ad

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Underrated/overlooked how much Melbourne's forward line is missing Jake Melksham's smarts and creativity. Led the league in goal assists per game in 2018, and is leading again this year (if you don't cut him out due to games played) too.
Now we have Lever May and Jetta back in we can also play Fritsch forward like on the weekend. A forward line of Tmac Melksham Fritsch Petracca Weideman/Smith and a small forward will look pretty good. Just need to find that small forward for next season.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Typical Melbourne supporters refusing to acknowledge their special treatment.

Isn’t Lyon on a football program with Roos?

Off limits are we?

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Isn’t Lyon on a football program with Roos?

Off limits are we?

Wasn't ware of all that. Fair enough, I agree with you then.

EDIT: Apologies, seems that I just hadn't come across it. I can see why you thought I was a conspirator now lol.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Juddernaut08 there are 5 articles I’ve found above in under 2 minutes. If the MFC was off limits pertaining to criticism then how do these articles get through? According to you we are off limits? So either they are written in a parallel universe or they are written about Melbourne this year in 2019.
I don't really go searching for news, but just seems I had read and watched stuff about Carlton and Saints all year. And hadn't heard a peep about Melbourne. Turns out it was happening, I just hadn't come across it.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wasn't ware of all that. Fair enough, I agree with you then.

EDIT: Apologies, seems that I just hadn't come across it. I can see why you thought I was a conspirator now lol.
It’s fine. But as I’ve said, the heat will appear much more intense within 4 weeks of 2020 if we fail to improve on our disastrous showing this year. There will be no man having more sleepless nights than Goodwin over the preseason, and it won’t be his broken down air conditioner keeping him awake in summer!

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't really go searching for news, but just seems I had read and watched stuff about Carlton and Saints all year. And hadn't heard a peep about Melbourne. Turns out it was happening, I just hadn't come across it.
I’d also be in the camp wanting him gone after 4-8 weeks of non finals type footy next year. You’re right, our list is good, but something is breaking down, let’s hope it can be remedied because not many Melbourne fans will accept a write off of 2020. You’d probably have posters here interviewing for coaching positions.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty obvious the answer to this entire thread can be made with one word:

Context.

It's not like there's some grand conspiracy to go easy on him or the Dee's
Dunno about that. According to the compelling burblings of some posters we are an AFL love child and bloody overrated Paul Roos and the media mafia have our awful underperformance hidden away in a protective cone of silence.

On topic: should there be more ‘noise’ on Goodwin? Absolutely, a s**t preseason + injuries don’t entirely account for a fall from 4th to 17th in the space of one season. I’d argue that on 2019 form, including those who have been sacked, that he is the worst coach in the league.

Why isn’t there ‘noise’ about Goodwin? Because the media love low hanging fruit. Richo never made finals in 6 years, sack him. Bolton - 3 wins in 40 odd games, sack him. The low hanging fruit when analysing Melbourne’s season is preseason + injuries.

‘Noise’ shouldn’t necessarily mean sack him either. But he absolutely deserves criticism for a terribly inefficient game plan. An omnishambles team defence structure when we’ve effectively sold the farm for A grade key defenders. Picking injured and unfit players is largely his responsibility as well. There has been maybe one or two players improve in their development since Roos which is also an issue that Goodwin deserves criticism for...

In short he’s achieved some good things but absolutely deserves a kick in the arse for this year.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Underrated/overlooked how much Melbourne's forward line is missing Jake Melksham's smarts and creativity. Led the league in goal assists per game in 2018, and is leading again this year (if you don't cut him out due to games played) too.
Absolutely. Melksham was our best forward along with McDonald last year. Take out 2 of probably the 3 forwards that matter that Melbourne have (Petracca the 3rd) and you've got a pretty lousy forward line. After the first 5 weeks when a heap of things went wrong and the players clearly weren't fit the Demons have been decent enough at most aspects of the game outside of inside 50 efficiency. The easiest way to fix that is to replace a bad forward with the leagues best goal assist forward! The club should have better forward depth, same goes for the wing, same goes for a lot of spots but coaches can't create good players overnight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Wowee 3 years/70 games of footy and not one rising star nomination.

Not that RS noms mean much but it's at least a small insight into the development of young players.

Damning stat imo.
We haven't recruited many eligible players though. We've traded for picks for Lever and May and drafted older players from state leagues who could play immediately and who didn't qualify for the RS.

The last year we had a nom we got four in the year, so I don't think you can say our development is that much of an issue.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
We haven't recruited many eligible players though. We've traded for picks for Lever and May and drafted older players from state leagues who could play immediately and who didn't qualify for the RS.

The last year we had a nom we got four in the year, so I don't think you can say our development is that much of an issue.
Yeah fair call.

Reminds me of when we traded all our firsts for Robbie Warnock and Brock McLean - we didn’t get a nom for 4 years I think. We were concerned at the time and rightly so as our list turned out a mess.

Do you think you gave up too much for May and Lever?

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wowee 3 years/70 games of footy and not one rising star nomination.

Not that RS noms mean much but it's at least a small insight into the development of young players.

Damning stat imo.
Soon Carlton won't be rubbish and you'll stop pretending the rising star matters. Trust me, it's nice.

The reality isn't development, it's far more drafting and the stage the list was in. After a stack of rising star nominations in the few years previous it was time to trade first round picks for Lever and then May.

2016 draft they had traded a pick up a year for Weideman, who easily could've snagged a nomination at some stage, he's not going amazingly but he's doing ok when fit and on the park, still early days. Hannan was picked in that draft, ineligible but not a bad pick. Other later picks missed.

2017 draft Fritsch ineligible at time of drafting. If Fritsch was a couple of months younger he would've got a nomination. Charlie Spargo had a good first year, could've got one if he had a standout game in the right week, bad second year, that happens some times. Oskar Baker and Harry Petty both going ok in year 2. Could go 0-4 in rising star noms but get 4 decent players out of that bunch.

First year kids this year were a raw bunch, the only one who's played in Sparrow then got injured for most of the season, the others are developing fine. They aren't being rushed because they all need a bit of time but there's a couple who could take a big leap over summer and play next year.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Yeah fair call.

Reminds me of when we traded all our firsts for Robbie Warnock and Brock McLean - we didn’t get a nom for 4 years I think. We were concerned at the time and rightly so as our list turned out a mess.

Lever's played 60 odd games, already made the AA squad and was named in the AFL's "Best 22 under 22" every year he was eligible. He'll be an absolute gun for a long time, his leadership qualities are highly lauded and I'm stoked we have him.

We might have overpaid a little for May but he was the best available for a role we needed filled. We should be aiming for a flag in the next few years and if we win won I'm not going to give a single * whether we got on the (slightly) worse end of the deal. I'm also happy to build a good relationship with other clubs as far as trading goes.

It's true we've traded a few firsts but our list is relatively young anyway (23 and under: Lever, Harmes, Petracca, Brayshaw, Oliver, Weiderman...) so I'm comfortable we're not setting ourselves up for another decade of misery!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah fair call.

We definitely needed KPD due to our backline being grossly underweight. After those 2 your next best tall defenders are Frost (great third tall) and Oscar McDonald. So we had to get talent.

Lever hasn’t even played 80 games, so he will be a huge player when he hits 100+. He has great leadership and had an amazing month last year before doing his knee. May has been solid this year upon his return, he is a solid blue chip defender and we need him. Great kick, aggressive and will settle in.

I think the prices were fair.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Absolutely. Melksham was our best forward along with McDonald last year. Take out 2 of probably the 3 forwards that matter that Melbourne have (Petracca the 3rd) and you've got a pretty lousy forward line. After the first 5 weeks when a heap of things went wrong and the players clearly weren't fit the Demons have been decent enough at most aspects of the game outside of inside 50 efficiency. The easiest way to fix that is to replace a bad forward with the leagues best goal assist forward! The club should have better forward depth, same goes for the wing, same goes for a lot of spots but coaches can't create good players overnight.
Melksham was one of the best medium sized forwards in the competition last year, his absence has really hurt us. He really has turned his career into a positive in so many ways.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Another pathetic season from the Demons
Pretty much. I am beyond the point of defending us against people that want to have have a shot at us. How do you have finals to play for and serve that up? If we were a half decent outfit then we’d have won by 4 goals. It’s all types of wrong.

Goodwin just has to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back