Universal Love Simon Madden - A True Legend

Remove this Banner Ad

There's enough misery around here at the moment to fill all of the saddest of guts in the world, so I'd like to celebrate a true legend of Essendon just for something of a relief from all that.

And, just for once, let's keep this one free of moaning about our current terrible state; every other thread on this board is full of it so we can take a break from that here, please.

Anyway, my father is a 56 year old Richmond supporter, and he says that Simon Madden is in the top five players he's ever seen, from any club, in his almost 50 years of following football. My father's word isn't exactly gospel, but that is pretty high praise. And he also says without any hesitation that he is the single best ruckman he's ever seen. The ruck work was second to none, he was basically an extra midfielder he was that mobile, and he also kicked the small matter of 575 goals over his 378 games, in 19 seasons.

It really was an incredible career.

When we think of that golden 1980s era for our club, we think of Madden, Watson and Terry Daniher as probably being our biggest three champions, with profuse apologies to the likes of Baker, Harvey, Thompson, Salmon, Duckworth, Van der Haar, Hawker and no doubt others perhaps just a rung below the very top echelon.

Unfortunately, as someone born in 1988, Simon retired when I was just four and so I have no memory of him playing; in fact I started following the season after he retired. If there was just one Essendon player I missed out on seeing that I wish I could have, it would be a three-way tie between Madden, Reynolds and Coleman for me; I couldn't narrow it down any more than that.

But unlike the other two there certainly is plenty of footage around of Madden:

How's this for a mark:

Post 1984 Grand Final interview:

Just absolutely taking the piss here - go to 1:55 in for some Madden magic from 1991:

I've had the pleasure of meeting him a handful of times, and he's always struck me as a very down-to-earth and decent man. The type who will give nearly anyone the time of day. And, well, that can be kind of cool when you meet someone who, alongside Hird, is probably our single greatest living player.

The great man is 60 now. For those who are a little older and got to see him, please share your memories and any other footage or clips you can find.

What made him so great? Have you seen a better ruckman in your time?

I was pretty young during the late 70s but kind of remember the early eighties though. I have not seen the 84 granny for a long time but I am pretty sure in that famous last quarter he put the ball on a silver platter for our mids. One of our best ever. On a side note I used to see him every year at Xmas mass down at Apollo Bay...he was a very good boy too!

The first tap in the last quarter of the 84 GF to Daisy and Baker ends up putting it through after a few seconds. That was awesome! A great player and bloke. I met him once but sadly didn't see him play enough.

Seriously disappointed I wasn't around to see him play. In his day, was nigh on unbeatable. Those highlight reels are the stuff of legend.
One of the most humble, well spoken men you could ever hope to meet, and would do anything for the club.

Gentleman of the highest regard.

The number 27 was on my first duffle coat in 1976. Was his third season. Got my moneys worth . 16 seasons:D
How much would you pay now days for a dominant tap ruck who could also play FF , take a grab and kick goals ?

Old enough to remember him very well.

Magnificent tap ruckman, supurb leaping and marking ability, dead eye kick for goal and did it in big games. Was the best forward amongst the rucks of his era.

Was horrible at two things and it’s difficult to decide which he was worse at - fighting (see 85 GF) and handballing.

Seems a ripping bloke - unlike his brother who I have never liked.

Last edited:
A master of his craft, a joy to watch at the centre bounces, great leap and he had that annoying ( to the opposing ruckman) habit of sticking his knee quite high up towards that ruckman,often kneeing him in the process. His ability to change direction mid flight at centre bounces and tap to our midfield players was poetry in motion. A very accurate kick for goals, you always had that confidence he would slot it home every time, and laslly he was a very solid mark. To endorse what has been said already, the best ruckman i have seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's enough misery around here at the moment to fill all of the saddest of guts in the world, so I'd like to celebrate a true legend of Essendon just for something of a relief from all that.

And, just for once, let's keep this one free of moaning about our current terrible state; every other thread on this board is full of it so we can take a break from that here, please.

Anyway, my father is a 56 year old Richmond supporter, and he says that Simon Madden is in the top five players he's ever seen, from any club, in his almost 50 years of following football. My father's word isn't exactly gospel, but that is pretty high praise. And he also says without any hesitation that he is the single best ruckman he's ever seen. The ruck work was second to none, he was basically an extra midfielder he was that mobile, and he also kicked the small matter of 575 goals over his 378 games, in 19 seasons.

It really was an incredible career.

When we think of that golden 1980s era for our club, we think of Madden, Watson and Terry Daniher as probably being our biggest three champions, with profuse apologies to the likes of Baker, Harvey, Thompson, Salmon, Duckworth, Van der Haar, Hawker and no doubt others perhaps just a rung below the very top echelon.

Unfortunately, as someone born in 1988, Simon retired when I was just four and so I have no memory of him playing; in fact I started following the season after he retired. If there was just one Essendon player I missed out on seeing that I wish I could have, it would be a three-way tie between Madden, Reynolds and Coleman for me; I couldn't narrow it down any more than that.

But unlike the other two there certainly is plenty of footage around of Madden:

How's this for a mark:

Post 1984 Grand Final interview:

Just absolutely taking the piss here - go to 1:55 in for some Madden magic from 1991:

I've had the pleasure of meeting him a handful of times, and he's always struck me as a very down-to-earth and decent man. The type who will give nearly anyone the time of day. And, well, that can be kind of cool when you meet someone who, alongside Hird, is probably our single greatest living player.

The great man is 60 now. For those who are a little older and got to see him, please share your memories and any other footage or clips you can find.

What made him so great? Have you seen a better ruckman in your time?

He was the type of player who was ahead of his time. He jump was beautifully timed. He could go forward or back. And he could kick goals and change games.

It’s why he polled so well come Brownlow night.

He was a gem to watch and always friendly.

We were very lucky because he was a true Essendon boy. He lived and breathed red and black and honoured the jumper so well.

Last edited:
The greatest ruckman we've had. One of the greatest players we've had. Imagine him tapping it to Reynolds, Hutchison and Hird?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back