News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2012
Sector 7g
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Bendigo Bank Cats
Good to see the club making inroads towards funding of the final and biggest stage.

Would be sad to see no standing room at all though, think the club would be wise to allocate a section, most likely at the back of the lower level, for those that prefer it. I for one would be happy to buy a standing room membership, think it could be a real point of difference for our ground/club. To me getting more people in at less expense is a no-brainer, and the atmosphere is so much better than in seated areas.

I will be writing to the club to make this point, and urge anyone who is like-minded to do the same.

Thoughts?

Good to see the club making inroads towards funding of the final and biggest stage.

Would be sad to see no standing room at all though, think the club would be wise to allocate a section, most likely at the back of the lower level, for those that prefer it. I for one would be happy to buy a standing room membership, think it could be a real point of difference for our ground/club. To me getting more people in at less expense is a no-brainer, and the atmosphere is so much better than in seated areas.

I will be writing to the club to make this point, and urge anyone who is like-minded to do the same.

Thoughts?

Personally, I've always enjoyed standing at games, I also love mixing with the standers at both the MCG and Etihad grounds, the views are that much better to me and you get a good feel of the atmosphere by hearing different views and observing it this way.
I think there should be standing sections kept so it caters for every supporters liking.

Link to an article?

They should definitely keep room for a few thousand standing room. It's an absolute no-brainer.

Will be used regularly and can be packed in like sardines for sell-out matches.

Link to an article?

They should definitely keep room for a few thousand standing room. It's an absolute no-brainer.

Will be used regularly and can be packed in like sardines for sell-out matches.

Today's Addy, with a further story on why Cook decided to stay set for Saturdays edition.

Sorry, if I knew how put a link in I'd do it, same with my avatar.

It's funny you say pack 'em in as even when sold out like this season you could still drive a truck through some parts. Probably down to health and safety but you could've fitted thousands more in, would've made for a better crowd atmosphere IMO.

A system whereby you had a marker on the ground designating your standing spot similar to a seating plan could work and is something the club should look at, it would attract new members and keep some of the old that won't look favourably on being made to sit.

Today's Addy, with a further story on why Cook decided to stay set for Saturdays edition.

Sorry, if I knew how put a link in I'd do it, same with my avatar.

It's funny you say pack 'em in as even when sold out like this season you could still drive a truck through some parts. Probably down to health and safety but you could've fitted thousands more in, would've made for a better crowd atmosphere IMO.

A system whereby you had a marker on the ground designating your standing spot similar to a seating plan could work and is something the club should look at, it would attract new members and keep some of the old that won't look favourably on being made to sit.
All those empty seats were sold, though.

The only way to get extras in for big games is by using the space better. There is no better way to get more people in a given area than standing.

Plus, some people love standing and it provides a cheaper option too.

All those empty seats were sold, though.

The only way to get extras in for big games is by using the space better. There is no better way to get more people in a given area than standing.

Plus, some people love standing and it provides a cheaper option too.

Was actually referring to the standing areas, maybe I'm old fashioned but if you can walk through a standing area at a reasonable click then there's simply not enough bodies in there!

I'd like a dollar for every extra person that could've stood this year. 2-3 people per step and shoulder to shoulder in a new stand with decent toilets, bars and food outlets behind them, with those seated in front having downstairs amenities similar to the Olympic Stand at the G would be the way to go..

The only way to watch footy is on your feet, leaning against the fence, with someone else going back and forth to the canteen to get the ice-cold VBs, and the car just behind you in case of rain.
The AFL has a lot to learn from local footy.

Standing beats sitting hands-down for atmosphere. Being Melbourne-based and membership-less growing up, some of my fondest memories are standing at KP.

Thoughts?

Why don't you write, or draft, a template letter that everyone on here can copy and send in.

I think people are more likely to follow up on this if the content of the letter is a cut/paste job.

Alternatively, we could create a petition on change.org and get everyone to sign it.

A personal memory...
I can't remember the exact season, but I remember standing at the back of the ground level seating at Optus Oval for a Carlton/Geelong match in the 90's.
We won a thriller by one point, with one of our players (Bizzel?) diving to touch through what would have been Carlton's winning goal with only seconds left.
I remember all the Cats fans in the standing section jumping up and down hugging each other on the siren. All complete strangers! It was brilliant.

Why not utilise the gappy section between the Players and Reg Hickey stands to be the standing area?
Solves two problems
Think there are plans to put a big screen/scoreboard there, Cook is apparently trying to raise the $1 million needed so it can ready by the first game on June 1st

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think there are plans to put a big screen/scoreboard there, Cook is apparently trying to raise the $1 million needed so it can ready by the first game on June 1st
The scoreboard will go on the back row section near the concourse for the Hickey stand it will still leave room for a standing room section in front of the scoreboard if they want one

Like the Players stand, any new stand at the city end could not be completely extended around to the Hickey. The fact there is a staircase leading to the Hickey stand, combined with insufficient room on the Moorabool Street side of the ground, would mean there will be a gap between the proposed city end stand/Hickey stand (if that makes sense).

Personally I would place any additional stand on the present site of the Brownlow-Ford stands, leaving the Ablett terrace as it is now.

The scoreboard will go on the back row section near the concourse for the Hickey stand it will still leave room for a standing room section in front of the scoreboard if they want one

Think they'll probably place seats in the gap, some OH&S issues could potentially arise from having standing room all the way down to the fence. Still like this suggestion nonetheless.

He added there would be a push for Geelong to return to playing nine home games a season at the ground.

Is this from 2014 onwards, or once stage 4 of the redevelopment is completed? With 9 home games a year you'd think we'll probably play the odd game at Kardinia Park against Carlton, Essendon, or Hawthorn (can't see the Pies playing here though unless they ever happen to be absolutely rubbish on/off the field).

IMO we should receive 9 home games at KP from 2014, and 10 once the final stage of the redevelopment is completed (although I would settle for one less).

Pl
Like the Players stand, any new stand at the city end could not be completely extended around to the Hickey. The fact there is a staircase leading to the Hickey stand, combined with insufficient room on the Moorabool Street side of the ground, would mean there will be a gap between the proposed city end stand/Hickey stand (if that makes sense).

Personally I would place any additional stand on the present site of the Brownlow-Ford stands, leaving the Ablett terrace as it is now.

Think they'll probably place seats in the gap, some OH&S issues could potentially arise from having standing room all the way down to the fence. Still like this suggestion nonetheless.

Is this from 2014 onwards, or once stage 4 of the redevelopment is completed? With 9 home games a year you'd think we'll probably play the odd game at Kardinia Park against Carlton, Essendon, or Hawthorn (can't see the Pies playing here though unless they ever happen to be absolutely rubbish on/off the field).

IMO we should receive 9 home games at KP from 2014, and 10 once the final stage of the redevelopment is completed (although I would settle for one less).
Please get 9 home games we barely loose at home so it could all help in positioning within the final 8

Surely the better option would have been to start afresh.

I know that we would have spent HUGE amounts of money building and entire new Stadium. But where KP is located as part of that precinct....its not best. No Parking, bad placement of all other ammenities and minimal crowd numbers even when full development is completed only highlights this problem to me further.

Yeah we might have been looking down the barrel of a $300M+ Construction, but we could have designed all the issues out from the get go, and realistically had 9 games at home, in a 45,000 - 55,000 Seat Stadium all done and dusted by 2015, wiht the finalcing taken care of before the Financial Crisis.

Maybe im just full of it, but to me, the Moorabool Street Wing seems to cut in too suit the road, and with the rest of the precinct containing some tennis courts, basketball courts, and a cricket pitch and swimming pools...it just seems like we have not made the best use of the available space.

The Footprint of Docklands would fit into KP Precinct quite nicely.

Having said all this, the design looks wonderful and im really REALLY looking forward to going to some games to see the finished product.

I know that we would have spent HUGE amounts of money building and entire new Stadium. But where KP is located as part of that precinct....its not best. No Parking, bad placement of all other ammenities and minimal crowd numbers even when full development is completed only highlights this problem to me further.

Yeah we might have been looking down the barrel of a $300M+ Construction, but we could have designed all the issues out from the get go, and realistically had 9 games at home, in a 45,000 - 55,000 Seat Stadium all done and dusted by 2015, wiht the finalcing taken care of before the Financial Crisis.

Maybe im just full of it, but to me, the Moorabool Street Wing seems to cut in too suit the road, and with the rest of the precinct containing some tennis courts, basketball courts, and a cricket pitch and swimming pools...it just seems like we have not made the best use of the available space.

Having said all this, the design looks wonderful and im really REALLY looking forward to going to some games to see the finished product.
I've often thought this too but to hard to get all the funding and forv8 games a year ?

In one way I agree with you. A brand new stadium at the location of our original home , the Corio Oval( or close to it ) , over at East Geelong Park would have been ideal. Another Dome.Or really a mini MCG being in the park. Make the playing area similar size to the G. Perfect.

But its an idealist dream that would never have been a realistic option. For a start the AFL would never agree to help us build something above 40,000. They have the Melb stadiums to protect.Im not sure the cost of the GC stadium or the GWS upgrade but 100's of Millions of debt is just is way beyond our ability to cope.

I think we have to embrace what we are luck enough to have. Who knows what will happen in several decades , with the increase in population in the area , perhaps one day this ground will be too small. On the other hand , building a ground too big before we really need it can be a huge drain on our financial position. We don't want to build a DeSal plant version of our home ground !!

On the issue of having 9-10 games at Geelong a year, not sure how likely that is to happen seeing how the AFL needs to play x amount of games at MCG and Etihad. Also the AFL is all about attendances so even games against the likes of Carlton and Essendon may not happen when they can get 45000-50000 at Etihad. I know its only 10000 or so but it makes their average attendances look better :p
I know I am in the minority here but as a Melbourne member I hope they keep a couple home games in Melbourne. Don't hate me for this lol

I think North Melbourne and Richmond are the most likely teams to play down there. On top of the normal ones like Melbourne and the Doggies. The only way the big clubs would play at KP is if one or both of the teams totally suck (hopefully not us!) which would cause fewer people to turn up no matter where it was played. Might happen one day but not any time soon I don't think.

Let's not forget this redevelopment came about over many years and a number of state and federal elections, we are lucky to have been in marginal electorates at the right time and with the persuasive powers of Costa and Cook at our disposal.

The idea of a brand new stadium was never practical nor achievable, and while its nice to dream a quick flashback to the 90's and the state of our ground as compared to what it will look like underlights in a few months is really quite remarkable.

Would be nice to see the likes of Essendon Carlton Collingwood at least play nab cup games in the future, if only to show off the home ground they no longer have.

Pl
Please get 9 home games we barely loose at home so it could all help in positioning within the final 8

I think Cook has said we're getting 8 games from 2014 and 9 once the stage 4 redevelopment is finished.

The only side we currently don't play at Kardinia Park that I can see returning any time soon is Hawthorn, once they aren't up the top end of the ladder. We won't draw 60,000+ against them when one/both clubs are out of the top 8.

Carlton and the Bombers could possiblyplay here once the city end is completed imo, but not Collingwood.

I think Cook has said we're getting 8 games from 2014 and 9 once the stage 4 redevelopment is finished.

The only side we currently don't play at Kardinia Park that I can see returning any time soon is Hawthorn, once they aren't up the top end of the ladder. We won't draw 60,000+ against them when one/both clubs are out of the top 8.

Carlton and the Bombers could possiblyplay here once the city end is completed imo, but not Collingwood.

Considering Cats/Hawks games regularly drew crowds of 30-40k prior to 2008, it wouldn't surprise me to see Hawthorn play here again once they are no longer a top 8 side and their crowds subsequently decline (like the Saints, who are playing here next season now that our 'rivalry' with them is less heated as a result of their fall down the ladder).

I see no reason why we shouldn't play Carlton and Essendon at Kardinia Park, considering the AFL already lock out thousands of patrons by scheduling our games against them at Etihad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back