News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone think the new social club will be worth it? I currently have platinum reserve seats in the Hickey stand and am considering leaving them and joining the social club. Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

Yes, group of 5 of us thinking of doing the same as long as we can get seats undercover. We're in C6 in the Hickey.

Sam you are one poster that seem to be on top of the upgrades.. can you tell me why the stand seems so close to the fence? It almost looks like its 2-3 M too close or the front seats will have to be on a far greater angle or something.
Have a look at the line of the Premiership stand for that level of seating and run it along the Brownlow stand.
It is the same
20160729_221441_zpsvyndfcqf.jpg

Yes, group of 5 of us thinking of doing the same as long as we can get seats undercover. We're in C6 in the Hickey.
Pretty sure there is no reserved seating in the Social Club. From memory, it is like the MCC first in type arrangement.
But that may have changed.

Are the seats reserved though? If so, I'd be very keen on joining. But if they are first in best dressed, then its quite possible you'd have to stand in the room and watch behind the glass. Or get crappy seats out in the open..

Are the seats reserved though? If so, I'd be very keen on joining. But if they are first in best dressed, then its quite possible you'd have to stand in the room and watch behind the glass. Or get crappy seats out in the open..

When I have been a guest in the Social club the close proximity of the bar was just a little too convenient for me.

Have a look at the line of the Premiership stand for that level of seating and run it along the Brownlow stand.
It is the same
20160729_221441_zpsvyndfcqf.jpg

The line is level...yet the gap from the line to the ground looks different...is it because the left end "Simonds" is a bit further back than the "Momentum / Morris Finance" end . The city end seems closer to the fence.

When I have been a guest in the Social club the close proximity of the bar was just a little too convenient for me.

Yes, I can certainly relate to that Rabbi. No doubt it will be the same for me. What was the old social club like in your opinion? Any good?

There will be three or four bays of seats on the broadcast side of ground city end center square line, don't think there will be many crappy seats there

The line is level...yet the gap from the line to the ground looks different...is it because the left end "Simonds" is a bit further back than the "Momentum / Morris Finance" end . The city end seems closer to the fence.
Really need a shot from the Ford stand back to Premiership stand to be able to tell.
From looking from Premiership to Ford it looked okay.

Yes, I can certainly relate to that Rabbi. No doubt it will be the same for me. What was the old social club like in your opinion? Any good?

I personally liked that old idea of the social club where you had to wear a jacket and look the part.
In the late 80's and early 90's top players used to come into the Social Club. When I was last in there a few years ago they were fringe players and new recruits. I was never a member of the SC. Just a guest every now and then.

I think that the social club used to operate as a separate business to the football club. This changed a few years ago.

Last edited:
Was it only members that had their seats relocated that got the email about it? Or was everything emailed about the new options ( i am really bad at checking my personal email)

Also if I talk to the club and tell them that if the same moron that has sat in front of me for the last 2 seasons is there again next year I want a new seat, they would check and help me? I am not asking for his personal information... I just don't want to sit near the f**kwit

Id like one from overhead... does google earth or something have live updates?
Google Earth doesn't look like it has been updated for a while as it still shows the old Wade Stand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it only members that had their seats relocated that got the email about it? Or was everything emailed about the new options ( i am really bad at checking my personal email)

Also if I talk to the club and tell them that if the same moron that has sat in front of me for the last 2 seasons is there again next year I want a new seat, they would check and help me? I am not asking for his personal information... I just don't want to sit near the f**kwit
Sorry. I'll quiet down in future.

For those with questions about the Social Club, this is what I was able to read as part of my seat selection options for next year:

GEELONG SOCIAL CLUB
THE MOST PREMIUM CATS MEMBERSHIP PACKAGE ON OFFER!

Located within the new Brownlow Stand, the Geelong Social Club is the ultimate match day experience for Cats home matches. With exclusive access to all new bar, lounge and dining facilities within the Brownlow Stand for matches at Simonds Stadium.

As a Geelong Social Club member, you will enjoy:
  • A sit down meal before the game in our all new café and dining foom
  • Relax with friends and family in our all new lounge area and terraced bars
  • Enjoy the premium viewing from a range of undercover and open air seating options
  • Watch the game inside from behind huge glass viewing areas
  • All this, plus much more and all the regular membership benefits, such as guaranteed priority to the Grand Final if the Cats compete

SIMONDS STADIUM HOME GAMES BENEFITS
  • Access to bar and dining facilities in the new state-of-the-art Brownlow Stand including:
    • Formal table service dining
    • Café meals in the lounge/bar area
  • Café meals in the lounge/bar area
  • Premium stadium seating located in the new Brownlow Stand:
    • Open and Undercover seating available on a walk up basis
    • Located directly in front of bar, lounge and dining facilities
  • Located directly in front of bar, lounge and dining facilities
  • Access to exclusive, premium amenities
  • Priority entry
  • Access to covered terrace bars at home games, exclusive to Geelong Social Club members
  • Access to casual lounge areas
  • Access to purchase guest passes at all Cats home games

MELBOURNE HOME GAMES
  • Access to bar and dining facilities on Level 2 at MCG and Etihad Stadium
  • Deluxe stadium seating
  • Access to exclusive, premium amenities
  • Access to purchase guest passes at all Cats home games
  • Access to Premium Level 2 Seating at Etihad and MCG

GEELONG SOCIAL CLUB BENEFITS
  • Guaranteed Priority 1 Access to Grand Final tickets (should the Cats compete)
  • Access to purchase tickets to Weeks 1 to 3 of the Finals Series
  • Access to Cats NAB Challenge matches
  • Voting Rights (over 18 yo only)
  • Premium, exclusive Geelong Social Club branded lanyard and scarf
  • Priority Access to Geelong Social Club facilities, should the Cats compete in a Finals match at Simonds Stadium – to be confirmed
  • Access to non-Cats events at Simonds Stadium – to be confirmed
  • Exclusive invitation to Cats events

We joined it after our kids decided family m'ships not the go, and with guaranteed GF seats, great for the 07-11 period.We = Polly Farmer and myself.
Seats not guaranteed on match day- first in, best dressed.
Can be wet outside for sure.
Inside crowded.
We do not drink alcohol or eat upstairs- so in that sense, not social for us, but there are facilities for coffee, tea, hot chocolate .
Views are good, not looking into the sun.
I can't believe that there are always smatterings of opposition supporters in "our" area.
Not the cheapest m'ship but that is our contribution annually.

We joined it after our kids decided family m'ships not the go, and with guaranteed GF seats, great for the 07-11 period.We = Polly Farmer and myself.
Inside crowded.
We do not drink alcohol or eat upstairs- so in that sense, not social for us, but there are facilities for coffee, tea, hot chocolate .
I can't believe that there are always smatterings of opposition supporters in "our" area.

Thanks Vdubs. Some really helpful info there :thumbsu:

Inside crowded.

I was in the Pivotonians last Fri night and even in that area , there were some Bulldogs scarfs in amoungst the Cats. And believe me thats not cheap either.

Inside crowded.
It's strange that there were Bulldog supporters in there as there isn't meant to be any guest passes this season due to reduced capacity

Inside crowded.
I had a social club membership for a few years.

Upside: reasonable ground position (but not as good as Brownlow which is where I moved to), has its own bar where you can drink beer out of glass pots instead of the plastic cup rubbish, flexibility to bring guests and sit with them. Guaranteed GF tix.

Downside: no allocated seating a pain in the arse because you have to arrive early to secure a seat - no good if you're coming from Melbourne. Expensive for what it is (you can buy a September member add-on and sit elsewhere for less). Virtually no undercover seating (this is about to change obviously.

I had a social club membership for a few years.

Upside: reasonable ground position (but not as good as Brownlow which is where I moved to), has its own bar where you can drink beer out of glass pots instead of the plastic cup rubbish, flexibility to bring guests and sit with them. Guaranteed GF tix.

Downside: no allocated seating a pain in the arse because you have to arrive early to secure a seat - no good if you're coming from Melbourne. Expensive for what it is (you can buy a September member add-on and sit elsewhere for less). Virtually no undercover seating (this is about to change obviously.

Hey CE, what was the general age demographic of social club members? Older, younger, families etc? I'd imagine the new social club will be somewhat more modern than the old one too?

Hey CE, what was the general age demographic of social club members? Older, younger, families etc? I'd imagine the new social club will be somewhat more modern than the old one too?
From my experience of 12 years SC m'ship, a real mix.
Some older people with permanent seats upstairs under cover; in the outer area, a complete mixture of families with young kids to old farts like us (55-65).
We like to sit near the fence , close to the action, but coming from Melbourne makes that nearly impossible- first in, best seat.

From my experience of 12 years SC m'ship, a real mix.
Some older people with permanent seats upstairs under cover; in the outer area, a complete mixture of families with young kids to old farts like us (55-65).
We like to sit near the fence , close to the action, but coming from Melbourne makes that nearly impossible- first in, best seat.

Thanks Vdubs. In terms of age demographic, a real mix is great I reckon. I think I'd spend quite a bit of time inside anyway, so I'm not too concerned about the seating situation. Although it would be perfect if seats were reserved and allocated. Hopefully it won't be too busy and crammed in the inside area though. I currently have platinum reserved seats in the Hickey stand, so it will be a big decision to give them up and head for the social club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back