News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Simonds Stadium will host a T20 game between Australia and Sri Lanka on February 19th

The Aussie female team will take on the Kiwi team on the same day.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...r/news-story/c1ba32b685600ee3442faf704f1fd195

Great news for the city, because of the obvious tourism benefits etc. You would also imagine that this (and future events) would help funding for the final stage of Simonds, and the shortfall on this one also. If it is used for a wider range of events, attracting more people to the region, Governments would surely be more inclined to help out financially.

So I suspect we will be training at Deakin for the entirety of the pre-season. Kardinia Park just confirmed to be hosting a T20 International between Aus and SL in February next year.

I suppose that these other events (cricket, soccer etc.) would be one of the main reasons why they would have had the deakin ground made in the first place then.

Great news for the city, [T-20 cricket at Simonds] because of the obvious tourism benefits etc. You would also imagine that this (and future events) would help funding for the final stage of Simonds, and the shortfall on this one also. If it is used for a wider range of events, attracting more people to the region, Governments would surely be more inclined to help out financially.
I suppose that these other events (cricket, soccer etc.) would be one of the main reasons why they would have had the deakin ground made in the first place then.

Exactly. This is excellent news on the back of the very successful round ball game recently. All that planning done from 2005? on is promising to bring some big benefits going forward.

Just watched the ladies rugby 7s. Very entertaining. These women will be fun to watch when they play a game that goes for more than 20 minutes.

KP is now screaming out for a home team in the ladies AFL comp.

Good the club - good for the stadium and the area.

Multiple rentals across codes is good on all fronts.

And the more that use it, the less myopic the hand out / government support seems to be.

Wins across the board.

Go Catters

Good the club - good for the stadium and the area.

Multiple rentals across codes is good on all fronts.

And the more that use it, the less myopic the hand out / government support seems to be.

Wins across the board.

Go Catters

Daz how does it work in the US... do certain stadiums get multiple uses , or are the games just so big they use them only for sole purpose.. My guess would be 82 rounds of NBA sort of means plenty of use in basketball... but 15 or 16 in the NFL sort of makes it hard. It would make sense to have 17 rounds here but the economies just kill it .. how could we justify doing anything at KP for 6 or so games.

Daz how does it work in the US... do certain stadiums get multiple uses , or are the games just so big they use them only for sole purpose.. My guess would be 82 rounds of NBA sort of means plenty of use in basketball... but 15 or 16 in the NFL sort of makes it hard. It would make sense to have 17 rounds here but the economies just kill it .. how could we justify doing anything at KP for 6 or so games.

Though advertising and TV rights are ludicrous in NFL. So that offsets the empty grounds. Though you'd expect domes to be used for other events. Unsure of outside stadiums

Though advertising and TV rights are ludicrous in NFL. So that offsets the empty grounds. Though you'd expect domes to be used for other events. Unsure of outside stadiums

Thats a good point... the ideal config for Geelong would be a Docklands type stadium ..in doors sport... although it may mean we lose a bit of home ground advantage. Fantasy stuff... something to consider in 30 plus years time , maybe the next Olympics etc.

Not so much other sports but more concerts if memory serves correctly for the off-season.
In season there are a few NFL teams that share their stadium with the local college but they are very few in number (think it is just the Arizona Cardinals now)

Thats a good point... the ideal config for Geelong would be a Docklands type stadium ..in doors sport... although it may mean we lose a bit of home ground advantage. Fantasy stuff... something to consider in 30 plus years time , maybe the next Olympics etc.
Something like that would mean a full knockdown rebuild which could see the oval moved away from Moorabool St enough to widen the oval

Something like that would mean a full knockdown rebuild which could see the oval moved away from Moorabool St enough to widen the oval
It might or might not even be at KP ..who knows by then. If there was no StMarys a knock down would be possible but it would seem to me a more plausible would be to leave whats it there and rebuild elsewhere. Who knows perhaps a return to the Eastern Park. The way pressure is on Dogs racing etc is going perhaps build a new stadium out there? Who knows what Geelong will be like by then.

A few of the basketball venues are multi-use. I know that both the Staples Center and Madison Square Gardens hosts NHL and NBA during winter, and then home venues for WNBA sides during summer; plus all the other stuff they host. One of the best sporting venue tours I have done was MSG when I was in New York in Jan, and we got to see them preparing the ice for the next NHL match, and then they spoke about how they prepare the ice & venue for the transitions to NBA games where it's a couple of layers of floor over the top of the ice.

Yankee Stadium is also a multi-use venue at the moment. As well as being used for the Yankees in MLB, it is also the current home for the New York City Football Club, while their own home venue is being built - so a chance to watch soccer at a diamond venue.

Rogers Stadium in Toronto has over it's time been used for baseball, Canadian football, American football, basketball and at the moment it is home to the Blue Jays in MLB and Toronto FC in MLS.

There are some venues that are multi-use, while others may not need to worry about it.

More cricket in Geelong! :thumbsu:

#lolsydney #lolbrisbane #lolperth

I would be betting on the Hickey stand coming down in the next decade or so, continue the same look of the stands all away around, hanging over Moorabool street,get rid of some of the slope that is on the ground heading down to the southern Moorabool pocket and reshape the wing so it's more symmetrical (stage 6!)

I would be betting on the Hickey stand coming down in the next decade or so, continue the same look of the stands all away around, hanging over Moorabool street,get rid of some of the slope that is on the ground heading down to the southern Moorabool pocket and reshape the wing so it's more symmetrical (stage 6!)
It's not coming down.
It's getting refurbished.

Fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't mean much, it would be getting refurbished again in 10 years anyway- FACT!

It would take a huge increase in demand to make the worth it..just how much more would you get in the place by doing it .. 1000 , 2000?

Sure it could be done.. we have seen some examples from around the world ..it can be done..I just don't see the demand increasing enough to make it worth the cost.
One must remember ..where does all the money come from. Unless it was a World Cups or the Olympics I cant see how the club would justify it to Fed , State and local government.

Last edited:
It would take a huge increase in demand to make the worth it..just how much more would you get in the place by doing it .. 1000 , 2000?

Sure it could be done.. we have seen some examples from around the world ..it can be done..I just don't see the demand increasing enough to make it worth the cost.
One must remember ..where does all the money come from. Unless it was a World Cups or the Olympics I cant see how the club would justify it to Fed , State and local government.

Here's the worry.
He's worried about it looking symmetrical.

What? From google earth?
Who gives a crap if it looks a bit square on one side from a shy shot.

It's those Simmonds walk ramps on each side that annoy me. Looks rubbish.
But would I spent 80 million to get rid of them? Nope.

That doesn't mean much, it would be getting refurbished again in 10 years anyway- FACT!
Cook has said they think stands need to be refurbished every 20 years.
And considering the hickey stand won't be done for another 5, you'll need to hold your whinge for another 25.

Oh, and if you want to buy all the properties on Moorabool St and donate them to the council so that they can demolish and create a sweeping road go ahead.

It would be far cheaper than building a a stadium over a road.

Here's the worry.
He's worried about it looking symmetrical.

What? From google earth?
Who gives a crap if it looks a bit square on one side from a shy shot.

It's those Simmonds walk ramps on each side that annoy me. Looks rubbish.
But would I spent 80 million to get rid of them? Nope.

Id agree that the ramps look tacky..although I not sure what the alternative would be as the rear is outside the ground ..under ground access? And unfortunately thats the camera side..

giphy.gif

Oh okay, that sounds really good. I have a good feeling about this social club thing next year. It's getting better and better. Cheers CE :thumbsu:
I think I'm going to join you if we delay moving interstate.

I keep looking at those Hickey Stand ramps and wondering what can be done there. I actually think those two pockets would be brilliant standing room areas- rip out the seats and squeeze as many walk up fans as can be sardined in each game.

The atmosphere within the ground would benefit from boisterous home and away fans who would love a cheap alternative to reserved seats and still have a good view of the game. Perhaps a second level could be added above the standing room with a few rows of seats, blocking the ramps a bit. It might add a thousand or so to total capacity at minimal cost.
It would be great to bridge that gap and the changed rake and configuration of the Hickey and Players stands.

I keep looking at those Hickey Stand ramps and wondering what can be done there. I actually think those two pockets would be brilliant standing room areas- rip out the seats and squeeze as many walk up fans as can be sardined in each game.

The atmosphere within the ground would benefit from boisterous home and away fans who would love a cheap alternative to reserved seats and still have a good view of the game. Perhaps a second level could be added above the standing room with a few rows of seats, blocking the ramps a bit. It might add a thousand or so to total capacity at minimal cost.
It would be great to bridge that gap and the changed rake and configuration of the Hickey and Players stands.
Like it! Put a bar under the screen. Could be our own version of The Hill.
We could call the punters that stand there every week The Murdoch Squad. ( Space fillers)

Social Club sounds darn tempting. Bit of a step up in price, but then I pay $200 for so-so seats in Ablett Terrace forward Pocket which were re-classified as "Silver" after being Bronze in the past. That also includes a surcharge that they added cause I'm an AFL member with Cats club support rather than a direct Cats member. This way they can't lay that guilt trip on me, & will be good for the old man who is starting to get on a bit & would appreciate the better facilities - if I can talk him into it! Only thing is a double up cause as a Full AFL member I already get access to GF tix.

The new stand is progressing well. The structure for the various rooms and public spaces is taking shape and everything is settling into its final footprint. You can start to get a feel for just how big the finished product will be. It actually extends further towards St Mary's oval than the Premiership Stand does. Some form work for the next level is also appearing. The next few weeks should be interesting.

image.jpeg image.jpg

And... did you get an email from the club today?

Nice photos and fly-through video of inside the stand. Check it out here: http://www.geelongcats.com.au/club/our-ambition/photos-and-video

Very thoughtful of the club to let us share the vision.
Oh, there's a small catch, they'd like an extra $1,000,000 please :)
Not to worry, the stand looks brilliant!

Slightly worried about the fans invading the pitch as the team run on though...

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 4.43.44 PM.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back