News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know for sure but all of the artists impressions that we've got so far have included the joint roofline... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

In the drawings I have seen and may have even posted early on, the last section of roofing on the Premiership Stand will be removed and replaced to match the new Brownlow Stand.

UPDATE: Construction is ongoing at Simonds Stadium today despite friction between construction bosses and trade unionists.

A meeting was held on-site this morning with Kane Construction and CFMEU representatives present although a public statement is yet to be made.

Dozens of workers remain operating on the $74 stadium project although Geelong Football Club bosses expressed concern last night that construction might grind to a halt.

“There is now an ongoing risk and uncertainty for the building work,” Geelong Football Club chief executive Brian Cook said.

“We implore the CFMEU to restrain themselves for this very important community project.”

EARLIER REPORT

CONSTRUCTION work at Simonds Stadium could grind to a halt following a face-off between construction bosses and the militant CFMEU.

After the union directed angry words at the project’s builder, there are now fears for the redevelopment’s completion in time for the first Cats home game against the Western Bulldogs in May.

Work had not stopped on the project last night but Cats bosses were nervous.

“There is now an ongoing risk and uncertainty for the building work,” Geelong Football Club chief executive Brian Cook said.

“We implore the CFMEU to restrain themselves for this very important community project.”

The Geelong sporting hub is one of 13 work sites run by Kane Constructions that are set to be impacted by protected industrial action launched by the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union.

The title sounds interesting... Could someone with a subscription please post a transcript? I know people have said that incognito works to get past the premium page, but I cant seem to get it to work.
0fe00a80934b2e65304aaf0e17990ec2

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...n/news-story/0fe00a80934b2e65304aaf0e17990ec2

Geelong Cats fear delays to Simonds Stadium construction
0fe00a80934b2e65304aaf0e17990ec2

by: Alex Sinnott and Anthony Galloway, Geelong Advertiser

UPDATE: Construction is ongoing at Simonds Stadium today despite friction between construction bosses and trade unionists.

A meeting was held on-site this morning with Kane Construction and CFMEU representatives present although a public statement is yet to be made.

Dozens of workers remain operating on the $74 stadium project although Geelong Football Club bosses expressed concern last night that construction might grind to a halt.

CONSTRUCTION work at Simonds Stadium could grind to a halt following a face-off between construction bosses and the militant CFMEU.

After the union directed angry words at the project’s builder, there are now fears for the redevelopment’s completion in time for the first Cats home game against the Western Bulldogs in May.

Work had not stopped on the project last night but Cats bosses were nervous.

The Geelong sporting hub is one of 13 work sites run by Kane Constructions that are set to be impacted by protected industrial action launched by the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union.

The builders have steadfastly refused to sign up to a new enterprise agreement that would fall foul of the Federal Government’s tough new building code and includes pay rises of 18 per cent over four years.

It comes as Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull notched up a win yesterday in federal Parliament with the Australian Building and Construction Commission (ABCC) watchdog given the green light by Senate crossbenchers to be reinstated.

CFMEU assistant secretary Shaun Reardon said the union would continue to negotiate with the construction group, adding that the outcome would “become apparent shortly.”

“While most major builders in Victoria have signed up to industrial agreements that offer certainty and stability, Kane Constructions has decided to use their workforce as political fodder in its efforts to assist Malcolm Turnbull’s campaign to introduce his anti-worker laws,” Mr Reardon said.

“In taking this provocative stance, Kane Constructions has decided to place its workforce in a position where they have no choice but to engage in lawful protected industrial action at Simonds Stadium.”

Kane Constructions was contacted by the Geelong Advertiser yesterday but did not respond in time for deadline.

Corangamite MP Sarah Henderson said the reintroduction of the commission was a necessary reform for Australian jobs.

Corio MP Richard Marles said that under the reinstated ABCC, workers would be “guilty until proven innocent”.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...n/news-story/0fe00a80934b2e65304aaf0e17990ec2

What needs to happen is that in 2018 we play our 9 games with 6 at night. Then in 2019 complete Stage 5 and open the stadium in early 2020 to host all games at Simmons.
40K Plus should fit

Would be a very immature move by the unions getting in the way of sport for political gain.
Not really. They don't have much of a choice.
Not great with the club pulling out the community project card and asking the union to "restrain themselves" FFS, while not even mentioning Kane refusing (illegally?) to not acknowledge the new building code.
If your not willing to pay your workers the legal award rates don't hire them and don't take the contract.

Not really. They don't have much of a choice.
Not great with the club pulling out the community project card and asking the union to "restrain themselves" FFS, while not even mentioning Kane refusing (illegally?) to not acknowledge the new building code.
If your not willing to pay your workers the legal award rates don't hire them and don't take the contract.

The club have nothing to do with it. The unions and the contractor hired for the project are the players here. The club is just unlucky to be in the middle. They need this project to be finished on time.

Do you really think that if a builder in Victoria didn't pay award rates they'd be still in business? Militancy would be rampant.

Codes were only just introduced, regarding unfettered access by unions; which the EBA should have been signed prior to this code, but stalling perhaps meant CBA was delayed.

So who was stalling?

don't use the codes as ammunition, as with an understanding of what's actually happening, you're shooting blanks.

Hopefully the threat to construction will be sorted quickly... nice progress at the moment:
The "canopy" over the new entrance is taking shape. it is immense and will make for a striking approach to the ground.

IMG_4544.JPG IMG_4547.JPG

And the fabric inserts are being installed between the roof sections.

IMG_4558.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4545.JPG
    IMG_4545.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4551.JPG
    IMG_4551.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club have nothing to do with it. The unions and the contractor hired for the project are the players here. The club is just unlucky to be in the middle. They need this project to be finished on time.

Do you really think that if a builder in Victoria didn't pay award rates they'd be still in business? Militancy would be rampant.

Codes were only just introduced, regarding unfettered access by unions; which the EBA should have been signed prior to this code, but stalling perhaps meant CBA was delayed.

So who was stalling?

don't use the codes as ammunition, as with an understanding of what's actually happening, you're shooting blanks.
You're right the club has nothing to do with it which is why they shouldn't have put it on the Union.
No one could be naive enough to see that Kane isn't stalling and trying to hold out just long enough to see if new laws can get through the senate.

You're right the club has nothing to do with it which is why they shouldn't have put it on the Union.
No one could be naive enough to see that Kane isn't stalling and trying to hold out just long enough to see if new laws can get through the senate.
Already passed the Senate
Malcolm Turnbull has secured the passage of legislation to re-establish the Australian Building and Construction Commission.
The Senate voted by 36 votes to 33 to pass the bill which was one of the triggers for the July 2 double dissolution election. The other, to establish a registered organisations commission, passed last week.
Read more: http://www.afr.com/news/politics/ma...k-xenophon-deal-20161129-gt0epx#ixzz4RdCwZVRV

The part about registered organisations?
I'm sorry. The parts I'm thinking of has been passed. But they have up to 2 years to come in and still have a good chance of being blocked.

"The building code, the worst part of the ABCC bill, won't come into effect for two years and could still be disallowed by the Senate."

The title sounds interesting... Could someone with a subscription please post a transcript? I know people have said that incognito works to get past the premium page, but I cant seem to get it to work.

When you get subscription pages, just highlight the title of the story on that blocked page, then right click it then choose search google for (title of story) and it will open up a google page with that story at the top - click on it from there and you will have access.

Spazz Cat, let's keep the political crap out of this.

The Union and Kanes are both to blame. The CFMEU don't have a good track record and either do alot of construction companies.

The reality is that the Unions trying to use the footy club as a negotiating tool is not right in my mind and I fully back the club's comments on this one.

Let's keep politics out of anything related to football. Football is something that brings people together not tears them apart.

Kanes and the Union can both go and get ****ed as far as I'm concerned if it effects the GFC.

This what happens when you let criminal organisations run building sites.

On a brighter note...the stand looks fantastic!!!

The reality is that the Unions trying to use the footy club as a negotiating tool is not right in my mind and I fully back the club's comments on this one.

The same argument is used against nurses as a way to ensure that they can't take action to improve their situation without being accused of disregard for patients and families. Same goes for teachers. Our club should not be seen to pick sides in any dispute.

This what happens when you let criminal organisations run building sites.

On a brighter note...the stand looks fantastic!!!
Lol i must admit the moment I heard this news I thought the unions are playing up purely as they know they can squeeze here as there is a strict deadline

I do have an exceptionally low opinion of the unions though so that may cloud my judgement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back