News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

The ground might be getting a bit more use in the Summer time

Way they were talking on 10 news, it depends on how many people rock up to the Australia - Sri Lanka T20 match on Sunday. If they get a solid turnout they think it'll go a long way to securing one of the expansion licences for the BBL.

Way they were talking on 10 news, it depends on how many people rock up to the Australia - Sri Lanka T20 match on Sunday. If they get a solid turnout they think it'll go a long way to securing one of the expansion licences for the BBL.
Ten news piece here:
https://tenplay.com.au/sport/sport-news/2017/2/13/turn-up
(Geelong stuff finishes at about 0:42)

EDIT
something to take out of the video relating to the current redevelopment is that seats have been put in on the top tier of the general seating half of the stand, it appears as though the new presidents room has had the glass installed overlooking the ground, and some of the lighting hanging off the roof has been installed.
13_02_2017 for bf.jpg

Last edited:
Ten news piece here:
https://tenplay.com.au/sport/sport-news/2017/2/13/turn-up
(Geelong stuff finishes at about 0:42)

EDIT
something to take out of the video relating to the current redevelopment is that seats have been put in on the top tier of the general seating half of the stand, it appears as though the new presidents room has had the glass installed overlooking the ground, and some of the lighting hanging off the roof has been installed.
View attachment 336098

Those Ford stand seat are not getting any less restricted are they?
A-League , BBL , AFLW ... could we honestly host them all?

Unless the weather goes to s**t I think a good turnout is a sure thing

Unless the weather goes to s**t I think a good turnout is a sure thing
We're in Victoria, that's more probable than possible.

It's a magic eye thing. Squint hard then adjust your focus. You'll also see a sailboat and a seagull.

I swear that I saw Adriana Lima when I squinted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may be a totally stupid question, but do we have a naming rights partner for the stadium this year or is it KP this year?

I know that GMHBA takes over the naming rights next year and that the Simonds rights finished last year, though the it was announced they hoped they would extend their partnership by a year to cover 2017.

Reason I ask is that I'm at the cricket and noticed the Simonds name has been removed from the top of the Reg Hickey stand - not sure if a requirement from Cricket Australia (other sponsors have their names covered over) or we have no stadium naming partner this year

This may be a totally stupid question, but do we have a naming rights partner for the stadium this year or is it KP this year?

I know that GMHBA takes over the naming rights next year and that the Simonds rights finished last year, though the it was announced they hoped they would extend their partnership by a year to cover 2017.

Reason I ask is that I'm at the cricket and noticed the Simonds name has been removed from the top of the Reg Hickey stand - not sure if a requirement from Cricket Australia (other sponsors have their names covered over) or we have no stadium naming partner this year
I noticed the same thing... On the cricket update photos that have been all over the KP Facebook page in the past week, they had removed all sponsors except the Simonds signs all over the ground (as of monday) as though the stadium management weren't sure either... I wonder if they are still in negotiations???
Note, they normally leave the simonds advertising signs up for non AFL matches. Also note that it is still referred to a SS and Simonds Stadium on the AFL website. So my guess is that they are still negotiating for this year.

Wasn't able to watch the game due to work commitments. Can someone tell me how the crowd was? Would you say it was well supported by the local community? Ground looks fantastic from the photos I've seen.

Wasn't able to watch the game due to work commitments. Can someone tell me how the crowd was? Would you say it was well supported by the local community? Ground looks fantastic from the photos I've seen.
Being there I'd guess 14,000-15,000. Was very well organised/run, great atmosphere also (better than most AFL games there).

The ground certainly got a tick from me for cricket, the pocket-pocket pitch worked really well. I sat basically 'behind the goals' near the front in the premiership stand and it was fantastic to watch cricket from. The steep seating works for cricket beautifully, with the thin wings keeping it fairly confined and easy to watch. I actually think it was better to watch cricket than football at.

Did it help our BBL bid? Probably not, but it probably didn't harm it either. 14,000 is justifiable given the amount of top players out, the time of year, weather and the fact it was on a Sunday night in school time. One of the big strengths of our bid is Surf Coast holidaymakers too which was irrelevant tonight. Does anyone know what they got to the MCG Friday night?

Being there I'd guess 14,000-15,000. Was very well organised/run, great atmosphere also (better than most AFL games there).

The ground certainly got a tick from me for cricket, the pocket-pocket pitch worked really well. I sat basically 'behind the goals' near the front in the premiership stand and it was fantastic to watch cricket from. The steep seating works for cricket beautifully, with the thin wings keeping it fairly confined and easy to watch. I actually think it was better to watch cricket than football at.

Did it help our BBL bid? Probably not, but it probably didn't harm it either. 14,000 is justifiable given the amount of top players out, the time of year, weather and the fact it was on a Sunday night in school time. One of the big strengths of our bid is Surf Coast holidaymakers too which was irrelevant tonight. Does anyone know what they got to the MCG Friday night?
From memory it was 40k ish at the g on Friday.

Agree completely with what you say about the crowd figure. Sat in just about the same spot as you, awesome (surprisingly) ground to watch cricket at.

The combination of the weather that would even have turned away supporters from AFL games (showers all day long, and 10 degrees by the end of the game), the high price of tickets (close to $150 for a platinum ticket in the premiership stand) and the timing all make for a lower crowd than they would have hoped for. I also heard on ABC radio that they nearly sold the ground out, so only 13,600 there shows you how bad the weather was.

Awesome atmosphere where I sat, and I reckon given better circumstances (say a big bash game on a warm Sunday evening in the school holidays) and it would have just about sold out and got over 20,000, which would be a great achievement.

Faaaaarrrrkkkk it was cold.
Crowd wasn't bad, rained nearly all day and was footy weather which didn't help.
I went with some mates who hadn't been to KP in years and they loved it. Absolutely loved how close you are when in the stands

From memory it was 40k ish at the g on Friday.

Agree completely with what you say about the crowd figure. Sat in just about the same spot as you, awesome (surprisingly) ground to watch cricket at.

The combination of the weather that would even have turned away supporters from AFL games (showers all day long, and 10 degrees by the end of the game), the high price of tickets (close to $150 for a platinum ticket in the premiership stand) and the timing all make for a lower crowd than they would have hoped for. I also heard on ABC radio that they nearly sold the ground out, so only 13,600 there shows you how bad the weather was.

Awesome atmosphere where I sat, and I reckon given better circumstances (say a big bash game on a warm Sunday evening in the school holidays) and it would have just about sold out and got over 20,000, which would be a great achievement.
Yep. Thanks CA for giving us a chance, but you kinda screwed us over. If you could get Mother Nature on board next time that would be good too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back