News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory, Stage 5 also includes a light refurb of the hickey stand as well (half life refresh) with the intention being That eventually a stage 6 will occur 20 years down the track whereby the hickey stand is rebuilt to make the full ring with moorabool st re routed
They have never, ever spoken about making the ground a ring.

$180 for a couple, or assuming 9 games over 5 1/2 months at $1620 just isn't sustainable.
They couldn't do it. The stadium won't fill over 30,000 unless it was an unexpected blockbuster.

No ones paying that unless it's social club / corporate.
They'd be shooting themselves in the foot. What was the origin of the email?
No idea she said she deleted it. Without a reserve seat it'll cost you $90 to attend a game was what she was led to believe.

I think it will be interesting what they will do in stage 5 in terms of interior administration spaces and facilities. It has been stated in the past that this stage of the redevelopment will be mostly about cricket and getting it up to standard to be able to host a big bash team. With the broadcast rights for the Big Bash due for renewal at the end of this coming season (the catalyst for expansion), the A-league considering expansion and Geelong in the box seat for getting an AFLW team in the next two seasons, I think that a large amount of office spaces could be needed.

NOTE: All of the following is IF Geelong gets an AFLW team (near certainty) and a BBL team (the BBL is considering expansion after 2017/18 season, while the proposal for the redevelopment is due before the 2018/19 budget), forgetting about the A-league as it is suggested that they will build their own stadium.

I had a crack this afternoon at working out what they could do, and this is what I came up with. I thought indoor cricket nets would be a great thing to have, as there isn’t a large amount of facilities available in the city at the moment. They could be hired out to the community in the times that they aren’t being used, bringing in a bit of revenue for some of the KP Trust’s running costs, and obviously be used by a future BBL team (or international cricket). The area above these indoor nets could be used for a sort of food market on match days, with all the usual food trucks + a few more gourmet style options. There is also a raised viewing area for both the cricket nets (for match days, shamelessly ripped off from the MCG) and for the Geelong Cricket Ground, as well as clubrooms for the Geelong Cricket Club.

Inside the stadium itself, I included office spaces for Big Bash (450 square meters) and AFLW/VFLW (200 square meters), as well as a cricket change room and football change room, and a warm up area for football.

It is obviously very rough, with proportions quite a bit off and scaling not quite right, but I was just interested to see what sort of things they could have in the stand. The same thing (minus Geelong cricket club facilities and indoor nets) could be achieved inside the stand itself, but I thought the indoor training facility, viewing area for outdoor nets and larger concourse could be useful. There would also potentially be enough height to have two levels in the office areas, but probably not in the changerooms and warm up area where extra height is needed.

Stage 5 #1.jpg Stage 5 #2.png Theoretical Stage 5.jpg

I think it will be interesting what they will do in stage 5 in terms of interior administration spaces and facilities. It has been stated in the past that this stage of the redevelopment will be mostly about cricket and getting it up to standard to be able to host a big bash team. With the broadcast rights for the Big Bash due for renewal at the end of this coming season (the catalyst for expansion), the A-league considering expansion and Geelong in the box seat for getting an AFLW team in the next two seasons, I think that a large amount of office spaces could be needed.

NOTE: All of the following is IF Geelong gets an AFLW team (near certainty) and a BBL team (the BBL is considering expansion after 2017/18 season, while the proposal for the redevelopment is due before the 2018/19 budget), forgetting about the A-league as it is suggested that they will build their own stadium.

I had a crack this afternoon at working out what they could do, and this is what I came up with. I thought indoor cricket nets would be a great thing to have, as there isn’t a large amount of facilities available in the city at the moment. They could be hired out to the community in the times that they aren’t being used, bringing in a bit of revenue for some of the KP Trust’s running costs, and obviously be used by a future BBL team (or international cricket). The area above these indoor nets could be used for a sort of food market on match days, with all the usual food trucks + a few more gourmet style options. There is also a raised viewing area for both the cricket nets (for match days, shamelessly ripped off from the MCG) and for the Geelong Cricket Ground, as well as clubrooms for the Geelong Cricket Club.

Inside the stadium itself, I included office spaces for Big Bash (450 square meters) and AFLW/VFLW (200 square meters), as well as a cricket change room and football change room, and a warm up area for football.

It is obviously very rough, with proportions quite a bit off and scaling not quite right, but I was just interested to see what sort of things they could have in the stand. The same thing (minus Geelong cricket club facilities and indoor nets) could be achieved inside the stand itself, but I thought the indoor training facility, viewing area for outdoor nets and larger concourse could be useful. There would also potentially be enough height to have two levels in the office areas, but probably not in the changerooms and warm up area where extra height is needed.

View attachment 363332 View attachment 363333 View attachment 363334
Sorry for the essay of a post btw!!! :);)

There's one huge problem on that front.
I can't see channel 10 even bidding.

362896_87bbcb58e50979fb5c530b8621436245.png
Think that the space between the Hickey and Players Stand near the scoreboard should be best utilised as a standing area.
Allows the folks who love standing to still have their space

Think that the space between the Hickey and Players Stand near the scoreboard should be best utilised as a standing area.
Allows the folks who love standing to still have their space
Agree 100%. The two gaps either side of the Hickey Stand are perfect for standing areas, right in the pockets. They would generate a lot of atmosphere and the lower slope of the terraces would be offset by the standing fans.

Keeping in mind that this is only a preliminary concept plan and $3.9m has to be spent before we see the real plan, the gap between the Hickey ramps and the stage 5 stand is smaller than at the other end. Perhaps we will see what the omitted bays of the Players Stand would have looked like.
Also, right at the bottom of the photo there is a large deck area above an external section of the stand.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.19.37 am.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on this week's game against Collingwood, the MCG is predicting a crowd of 44k. With that in mind would the club be open to one day scheduling Collingwood at Kardinia Park once the redevelopment is completed? Essentially rotating our big Melbourne home games around other sides so each club at one point in a two or three year period has to make the journey down the freeway? I don't like the idea that we typically play the Dogs and the Demons in Geelong but the likes of Collingwood and Essendon haven't made the trip in a decade or more.

Just on this week's game against Collingwood, the MCG is predicting a crowd of 44k. With that in mind would the club be open to one day scheduling Collingwood at Kardinia Park once the redevelopment is completed? Essentially rotating our big Melbourne home games around other sides so each club at one point in a two or three year period has to make the journey down the freeway? I don't like the idea that we typically play the Dogs and the Demons in Geelong but the likes of Collingwood and Essendon haven't made the trip in a decade or more.

I know the Hawthorn and Collingwood games are considered our "blockbusters" and games against Essendon, Carlton and Richmond fit into that category too when they are having good seasons, but I don't think any club, regardless of their ladder position, should be excluded from playing at any ground.
Definitely rotate the big teams so we get to see them at KP every few years (and gain a real home ground advantage).
Of course we would get twice as many attending a match at the MCG if we played a top four Hawthorn or Collingwood, but 40,000 at home would be financially better for us, the game would rate through the roof on TV and our supporters would finally get top value for their memberships.
As I said back in the Stage 4 thread a few days ago, we used to regularly get 35,000+ to Cats v Pies games in the 60s.

Once we get the 9-2 schedule going on the home game front, 2 of Rich, Ess, Carl, Haw, Pies should be at KP each year. If that needs to reduce to 1, then so be it, but we need the 9 KP games and they need to include a "big 4 " team each year... with 38k sell outs to boot.

And there is now NO reason at all that the AFL schedule ANY GFC home games at Jihad.

NONE.

GO Catters

Absolutely no reason why the AFL should give us any less than nine home games next year... and i reckon Cooky, everyone at the club, its 55K+ members and countless supporters would be furious if they didn't.
If the AFL is so hellbent on creating a fair competition through equalisation and a possible 17-5 fixture, how the hell can a few wealthy clubs be excluded from making the trip down to Geelong so that more of their supporters (losing both the home ground and home crowd advantage) can get into the game???

Absolutely no reason why the AFL should give us any less than nine home games next year... and i reckon Cooky, everyone at the club, its 55K+ members and countless supporters would be furious if they didn't.
If the AFL is so hellbent on creating a fair competition through equalisation and a possible 17-5 fixture, how the hell can a few wealthy clubs be excluded from making the trip down to Geelong so that more of their supporters (losing both the home ground and home crowd advantage) can get into the game???

Equalisation is not the end or ultimate aim, it is a means to the end of maximising the size of the overall cake.

No idea she said she deleted it. Without a reserve seat it'll cost you $90 to attend a game was what she was led to believe.
I hope it never costs that much but I can sorta see it.
25$ to get in the ground for a non member + 10$ booking fee + 55$ for a reserve seat.

Another consideration I just thought of... If it is supposed to attract cricket to the city, then won't they need commentary boxes behind the bowlers arm somewhere? The makeshift ones in the premiership stand were fine for a one off t20, but I wonder if they might have to have a small section of media boxes in the back the new stand, on the Ablett terrace side, if they expect more regular matches? Also If they were to attract an ODI in the future, there needs to be a viewing area for the players... Something similar to the MCG would do the trick.

Even the Hawthorn game looks to be growing stale, if both sides are ever middling or one is right down the doldrums I can see the crowd dipping under 40k.
Maybe we could organise for the Richmond and Hawthorn games to be swapped (considering contracts with vendors, advertisers etc. would be for 7 games)

Even the Hawthorn game looks to be growing stale, if both sides are ever middling or one is right down the doldrums I can see the crowd dipping under 40k.

Unless Hawthorn's form significantly improves, the Round 17 game will struggle to draw that figure. Probably means they start travelling to Simonds again and I'd even cast doubt over the Easter Monday fixture.

Can't see Collingwood and Essendon returning to Geelong until the final stage is completed, however. Improvement from one/both over the next few years would probably eliminate that possibility.

Well I'm sure now that the powers inside the club will feel that this last stage must and will be completed... its just a matter of dollars and how long. I

Agree , the look of the stadium will not really be finished till its done. The how might be a bit more difficult when the opening game with the new Brownlow could not even get us to 31,000 in the new 36,500 capacity. I guess most stadiums struggle to fill to their max capacity but the G obviously has a much bigger number and has to cater for the super premium games. Can we justify getting another 100M being spent if we can only fill it to 80% capacity?

Personally I dont care if the money come from government..doesn't most of the money for the g come from their purse? But I'm sure some will say enough is enough when there are many worth causes to spend money on.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back