News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

The how might be a bit more difficult when the opening game with the new Brownlow could not even get us to 31,000 in the new 36,500 capacity.

Cook said pre-match on the Rush Hour that figure of 36K was not really practical, as it accounts for the 4 function rooms being full as well as all seats being filled and standing room allocation being exhausted (which is impossible). He said (from memory) that the realistic capacity was 33.5-34K, and that they normally get around 10% no shows. That means that the crowd they got was only just short of what they were hoping for, which was 31K.

Given that almost all reserved seat packages have been sold, I don't think that it is quite right to say that we will struggle to fill the ground. The general admission section was where the crowd was lacking, so given better circumstances (such as decent form in the three weeks leading up to the match), I feel like there would be more walk ups and therefore a better crowd.

Also, the last upgrade is needed in order to attract other sports, and therefore get more use out of the stadium. The facilities for cricket at the moment are sub-standard, and if they are to attract international cricket (bringing huge economic benefits to the region) or even BBL, these need to be upgraded.

I take your point about it perhaps not being worth the money and that there are other, more important things to spend the money on, however I disagree with the argument that the crowd numbers we get don't warrant the last upgrade.

Cook said pre-match on the Rush Hour that figure of 36K was not really practical, as it accounts for the 4 function rooms being full as well as all seats being filled and standing room allocation being exhausted (which is impossible). He said (from memory) that the realistic capacity was 33.5-34K, and that they normally get around 10% no shows. That means that the crowd they got was only just short of what they were hoping for, which was 31K.

Given that almost all reserved seat packages have been sold, I don't think that it is quite right to say that we will struggle to fill the ground. The general admission section was where the crowd was lacking, so given better circumstances (such as decent form in the three weeks leading up to the match), I feel like there would be more walk ups and therefore a better crowd.
Another factor would have been the forecast rain. It didn't eventuate but the idea of sitting in a downpour would have kept a lot away, especially with the game live on TV.
I think the club also needs to advertise that there is good general admission space available at a reasonable price. If people think their only option is an expensive reserved seat they'll stay home, but if they know there is standing room and an allocation of general admission seating it is suddenly a more affordable family option.

Another factor would have been the forecast rain. It didn't eventuate but the idea of sitting in a downpour would have kept a lot away, especially with the game live on TV.
I think the club also needs to advertise that there is good general admission space available at a reasonable price. If people think their only option is an expensive reserved seat they'll stay home, but if they know there is standing room and an allocation of general admission seating it is suddenly a more affordable family option.
Haha everyone at work was saying I was crazy to go down to Geelong Friday night with the rain expected but in the end you could not have asked for better weather for a night game, just cool enough to wear a jumper, no wind, no rain, spot on!

Spot on about the GA tickets. Just had a look, they are $25 for adults and $5 for kids, as compared to the reserved bays in the Ablett Terrace that are $41 for adults and $15 for kids. They should look at better advertising about that, as I doubt many non-members know it is available (especially since you couldn't get a walk up ticket last year, so anyone who tried last year probably won't be trying again this year). At those prices the addy could possibly run some sort of give away to make more people aware that GA seating still exists (like $15 with your paper or something).

Also, the last upgrade is needed in order to attract other sports, and therefore get more use out of the stadium. The facilities for cricket at the moment are sub-standard, and if they are to attract international cricket (bringing huge economic benefits to the region) or even BBL, these need to be upgraded.

I take your point about it perhaps not being worth the money and that there are other, more important things to spend the money on, however I disagree with the argument that the crowd numbers we get don't warrant the last upgrade.

Im not say one thing or the other on money.. I'm just speculating it might be more difficult to raise the capital if we struggle to get 32,000 in a 36,500 capacity stadium. No matter what Cooks says to try to a fire blanket on the issue , the papers simply say capacity is this.... it never mention the realistic capacity. The money mostly comes from Canberra doesn't it? Id say the 10% non attendance is fair enough , it would be good to study all the other AFL grounds for a comparison. My bet is West and South would be much closer , and North of the border far less. When I watched the Oranges the other day V Tigers , the second tier appeared ed to be shut.

The ground will not looked finished till the City end is done , so I hope it is done. Im not sure its a great ground for the other sports when we have to rotate the pitch to squeeze in the cricket , and soccer is alway making noises about only wanting to be on rectangular arenas... so it will be interesting to see just how much non afl it does get. Not to mention if we get AFLW , that will crossover these other sports.

Im not say one thing or the other on money.. I'm just speculating it might be more difficult to raise the capital if we struggle to get 32,000 in a 36,500 capacity stadium. No matter what Cooks says to try to a fire blanket on the issue , the papers simply say capacity is this.... it never mention the realistic capacity. The money mostly comes from Canberra doesn't it? Id say the 10% non attendance is fair enough , it would be good to study all the other AFL grounds for a comparison. My bet is West and South would be much closer , and North of the border far less. When I watched the Oranges the other day V Tigers , the second tier appeared ed to be shut.

The ground will not looked finished till the City end is done , so I hope it is done. Im not sure its a great ground for the other sports when we have to rotate the pitch to squeeze in the cricket , and soccer is alway making noises about only wanting to be on rectangular arenas... so it will be interesting to see just how much non afl it does get. Not to mention if we get AFLW , that will crossover these other sports.
The only issue with any potential crossover is with cricket and the football codes due to the pitch. AFLW and A-League are perfectly fine sharing the ground week to week.

The only issue with any potential crossover is with cricket and the football codes due to the pitch. AFLW and A-League are perfectly fine sharing the ground week to week.

I have heard several time on the radio , soccer people saying KP is not ideal..that they have gone past playing on ovals. I doubt we will ever ave more than the odd game because of that.

Well I'm sure now that the powers inside the club will feel that this last stage must and will be completed... its just a matter of dollars and how long. I

Agree , the look of the stadium will not really be finished till its done. The how might be a bit more difficult when the opening game with the new Brownlow could not even get us to 31,000 in the new 36,500 capacity. I guess most stadiums struggle to fill to their max capacity but the G obviously has a much bigger number and has to cater for the super premium games. Can we justify getting another 100M being spent if we can only fill it to 80% capacity?

Personally I dont care if the money come from government..doesn't most of the money for the g come from their purse? But I'm sure some will say enough is enough when there are many worth causes to spend money on.
Hard to say, that game was 100% of effective capacity I'm really not sure where the other 5500 seats were because I didn't see what would equate to almost a 5th of the stadium being empty.

One thing I think they need to fix is the scores on the Brownlow Stand's videoscreen. The scorebug in the corner was way too tiny to read on the other side of the ground for me. They need to make the scores twice as big.
Also looked like the scorebug graphic was something from the 90's. Give it a bit of Geelong flavour at least like below.

upload_2017-5-24_16-27-2.png

Then again, a good start would be getting the scores right...

DALloThUIAE-axN.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I think they need to fix is the scores on the Brownlow Stand's videoscreen. The scorebug in the corner was way too tiny to read on the other side of the ground for me. They need to make the scores twice as big.
Also looked like the scorebug graphic was something from the 90's. Give it a bit of Geelong flavour at least like below.

View attachment 374019
How is that the score when Dangerfield is running in to kick the first goal of the game.

I want their crystal ball.

View attachment 374019

DALloThUIAE-axN.jpg
Really, the side did well to fight back to the lead from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 374019

DALloThUIAE-axN.jpg

Id like them to have 3 scoreboards that are close to each other in size.. One is too small , one has the screen reduced because of momentum advertising.. the latest seems fair good depending on where you are sitting.

If it get done in 5 years id be very surprised. My bet is will take a couple of close elections.

One of my rare political posts.

I cannot see the current Federal Government funding stage 5 at all. Corio is a safe seat and this Government has not funded any stadium builds or upgrades whatsoever. I can see the opposition "maybe" making a pledge leading up to the election but personally I think that's as far as we'll get.

I'm with Turbocat, it'll take a couple of close elections and/or maybe a successful bid for the "Regional Commonwealth Games" before we see the commencement of stage 5.

One of my rare political posts.

I cannot see the current Federal Government funding stage 5 at all. Corio is a safe seat and this Government has not funded any stadium builds or upgrades whatsoever. I can see the opposition "maybe" making a pledge leading up to the election but personally I think that's as far as we'll get.

I'm with Turbocat, it'll take a couple of close elections and/or maybe a successful bid for the "Regional Commonwealth Games" before we see the commencement of stage 5.

Sam , any idea about the scoreboards? The momentum side advertising on scoreboard2 really kills what could be a lot better imo. Dis they pay for it , is it on ongoing revenue arrangement? If so why not have it on scoreboard3?

Sam , any idea about the scoreboards? The momentum side advertising on scoreboard2 really kills what could be a lot better imo. Dis they pay for it , is it on ongoing revenue arrangement? If so why not have it on scoreboard3?

As the scoreboard at the river end was a part of Stage 3 and as well all know the funding came up short, I'd assume that the advertising is because of an "arrangement" to get the screen in that stage of the redevelopment as opposed to having it cut out like the two upper bays of the Players Stand.

I was at the ground during the screen's commissioning and as a full video screen (I don't get to see it game day as we're 4 rows from the back of the Hickey Stand) it's up there with what I think are the best for viewing and clarity of those at Metricon & Spotless Stadiums.

As an ex-long term administrator of a large local sporting club I would love Brian Cook to sit down and write a book about some of these projects/stages. It would make for a fascinating read for someone interested in that stuff.

As an ex-long term administrator of a large local sporting club I would love Brian Cook to sit down and write a book about some of these projects/stages. It would make for a fascinating read for someone interested in that stuff.
That would be a great read... once his time is up at Geelong I hope he writes a book, not just about these particular projects (which would be very interesting) but all of the things he has done over the past 16 years or so which have contributed to out long term success.

Heard Moons on SEN tonight intimate completion of the $90m 5th stage could be quite some time off. He didn't say why but I'd guess it is a largely a funding matter.
The CEO of the KP trust last Friday was saying that they are looking to break ground at the end of next football season to have it completed in time for the 2020 Women's Soccer World Cup

Would be amazing if the trust could arrange that imo but perhaps the world cup thing can be leveraged . How big is it?
The women's world cup is pretty big from memory the last one in Canada had over a million people attend the games.
Just had a look and the next WC is in 2023 but on last Friday night, the CEO was definitely talking about starting work after next AFL season. Will try to find his chat on KRock

The women's world cup is pretty big from memory the last one in Canada had over a million people attend the games.
Just had a look and the next WC is in 2023 but on last Friday night, the CEO was definitely talking about starting work after next AFL season. Will try to find his chat on KRock
The T20 world cup is in Australia in 2020, might that be what he was talking about? That could be something they're looking at, however 23 matches in 20 days doesn't really warrant the use of an extra stadium over the 7 already in use.

Looking at the last bid time line for the Womens world cup , in was confirmed in 2015 France for the 2019..assuming that its the same..it may well be that in 2019/2020 they decide if the get to host it...and if they do then they may get funding. Sort of the same deal as when we bid for the Mens world cup...but maybe more likley for women?

I may have missed something. Maybe it's been mentioned somewhere.
But it was said last night that Cook was meeting with the Port ceo to discuss the possibility of Geelong playing in China next year. And the inference was that we'd give up a home Etihad game.
But if we are going for 9 home games then surely there'd be no Etihad game to give up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back