News Simonds Stadium to be renamed GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

GEELONG’S new-look stadium next year will get a new name, with GMHBA to take over as naming rights sponsor.

The Cats will unveil stage four of the Kardinia Park stadium redevelopment early next season, with a new stand replacing the former Brownlow and Jennings stands.

The stadium will also have its fifth different naming rights sponsor later in the year, with the local health insurance company to replace Simonds Homes, which has held the name since late 2011.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...m/news-story/9019ba3dd19066586b4fca8ec5435563

I’m pretty happy with the name change, and mainly because this is a Geelong based company coming on board – so good to see local connections working together, and building stronger ties to Geelong. We know that Ford is closing in Geelong, so to see another Geelong company linked in with the club is a strong move.

I was curious how NIB & GMHBA would work together in sponsorship of the same team, but the article answered that question in that there would be no crossover, and hoping that Simonds stays on for another year.

I think this is good news for the club, and now to wait on the name of the new stand,

IIRC someone on this board last year saw a sponsorship sign or something that suggested this was going to happen...

Was that on the plans/images/sketches of finished stadium redevelopment as released by the club? Might still be something in the stage 4 redevelopment thread.

IIRC someone on this board last year saw a sponsorship sign or something that suggested this was going to happen...
This was it:
173107_68a69eb9e467bb9ddb63490c36ffa45b.png

Not sure if anyone has noticed but in pic 5 on top of the hickey stand the Simmonds stadium sign is gone and replaced with gmhba stadium. A new stadium sponsor perhaps?

I’m pretty happy with the name change, and mainly because this is a Geelong based company coming on board – so good to see local connections working together, and building stronger ties to Geelong. We know that Ford is closing in Geelong, so to see another Geelong company linked in with the club is a strong move.

I was curious how NIB & GMHBA would work together in sponsorship of the same team, but the article answered that question in that there would be no crossover, and hoping that Simonds stays on for another year.

I think this is good news for the club, and now to wait on the name of the new stand,
I'm happy because it'll put paid to me continually saying "Skilled Stadium" instead of "Simonds Stadium".

Now I have no alliteration excuse to use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh it needs to be something starting with S. Guaranteed GMHBA will end the sponsorship in 2-3 years. I'm surprised they can even afford it to be frank

Ahh yes the baytec era. Where the fixture for that year 2002? Had as playing at baytec stadium.

Shell Stadium
Baytec Stadium
Skilled Stadium
Simmonds Stadium
GMHBA Stadium

Worst name by a mile.

What would be great is if GMHBA would just say to the Cats, put our logo everywhere and we would like you to call it Kardinia Park or the Cattery. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back