News Simonds Stadium to be renamed GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Ever heard things like N.I.B,Bega Cheese,Devondale Milk,Goulburn Valley fruit .....etc ?
BTW GMHBA have offices all over Vic
But the food companies are trying to evoke a connection with pleasant, fresh, natural, local. Where is GMHBA? Why does this mythical place enhance the quality of whatever GMHBA does?

Should we open the bidding for "commonly referred to as..."? You know it is going to end up being called "goomba" or the like.

I will probably still continue to call it K'Park or Kardinia Park.
I will probably on occasions refer to it as GuMuHuBA stadium.

But the food companies are trying to evoke a connection with pleasant, fresh, natural, local. Where is GMHBA?

Where it has been for yonks mate. At the bay end of Moorabool street almost directly across the road from the WoolExchange pub. GMHBA stands for Geelong Medical and Hospital Benefits Association.
Why does this mythical place enhance the quality of whatever GMHBA does?

"GMHBA is an Australian not for profit health fund with more than 80 years’ experience. Through our personalised approach and exceptional customer service, we put the health and wellbeing of our members and communities first".

"The foundation of GMHBA dates back to 1934, in Geelong. Concerned about the rising costs of healthcare, a group of workers from the Australian Cement Company developed the Cement Workers Hospital Benefits Scheme – a health insurance scheme designed to protect families. Their concept was simple; if they pooled their resources together, they could support each other and ensure they all enjoyed quality health care."

https://www.gmhba.com.au/about/gmhbas-history

Interesting foray by GMHBA into new territory. Outside of Geelong GMHBA is virtually unknown. They have a small office in Melbourne and recently ran a TV advertising campaign. I wonder if this is simply to stop NIB from increasing its local market share, or whether GMHBA has bigger, national plans.

'GMHBA' is not a name that rattles off the tongue all that easily. Don't like the new name!!

Bruce was great in the 90s, from the 2000s onwards, he's that weird uncle that the children fear and feel uneasy around.
That game from round 1 99 against North
.... Bruce is epic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am assuming that N.I.B's sponsorship of Geelong ends at the end of this season, they must be a bit pissed off about this renaming being announced so early.

A little off topic, but I have a friend heading to the Supercross at GMHBA stadium on Saturday.
Any recommendations on where to find a car park nearby?

A little off topic, but I have a friend heading to the Supercross at GMHBA stadium on Saturday.

It's a night event, yeah?

If you don't mind a short walk, pretty much any of the streets (some exceptions) near the ground will have unlimited parking after 12:30 or 5 on a Saturday.
If you want to avoid "traffic" after the event just pick a street about 700m away in the direction you'll be traveling to go home.

It's a night event, yeah?

If you don't mind a short walk, pretty much any of the streets (some exceptions) near the ground will have unlimited parking after 12:30 or 5 on a Saturday.
If you want to avoid "traffic" after the event just pick a street about 700m away in the direction you'll be traveling to go home.
Thanks mate.

You could try and sneak a park at the South Geelong Rail carpark.
Other than that, Kardinia park itself may be open for parking. Or you should have no trouble finding one down by the river just south of the bridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back