Roast Simpson needs to wake up

Remove this Banner Ad

amazingjoshy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I have an inkling, which is obviously a completely unfounded theory, but whatever:

Simpson has set the side up to win games using one very effective gameplan/ method, and the coaches have gone all in. There is no alternative.

The players have bought into this gamplan, and will give full effort when the game is played on these terms.

However, in the back of their minds, the players have learned that the gameplan is completely ineffective against some opposition approaches.

As a result they completely disengage as soon as it becomes apparent that the game is not going to be played on their terms.

It’s surely possible to wrestle the game back on their terms, but it takes a huge amount of grit, and for whatever reason not enough of the players have it in them to do it often enough. Luckily they did in 2018.

IMO it just has to be something along these lines, because nothing else can explain how AA players can become absolute shells of themselves as soon as the opposition changes something up.

Either the gameplan is too flimsy to hold up to the full gamut of opposition tactics, and should be scrapped, or they need to devise and buy into an alternative.
I think you may be spot on. The glaring lack of a plan B when things are going against us has been obvious for the last two years.

And when your gameplan almost completely breaks down when there's any hint of moisture about, that's a fair indictment on the coaches

Tugga27

Premiership Player
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah the question was have we ever got a Victorian with kids over.

Im guessing Christie was born in 1990

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
No it wasn't.

The question was about a guy working full time in the media and who already is working part time in coaching
with a young family.

You cannot compare full time coaches like Lyon, Harvey and Malthouse to Lewis.

WCErevival

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
I think you may be spot on. The glaring lack of a plan B when things are going against us has been obvious for the last two years.

And when your gameplan almost completely breaks down when there's any hint of moisture about, that's a fair indictment on the coaches
The 6/6/6 has hurt us a bit. Simmo loved to put an extra on the back of the square. Especially when other teams had a run on.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
while we are at it can we please stop with nonsense play 4 quarter footy. In modern footy, it is very hard to play 4 quarters and almost no one can do that. All we need is to break even when the opposition is having a purple patch. So please stop this nonsense. Even looking at Richmond last year even in the GF they didn't play 4 quarters of great footy.

So when I criticize Simmo it is not about playing 4 quarters it is about the gap of performance between quarters that needs to be reduced. Lol, we won the first quarter against cats last week.

Ambrose Burnside

Premiership Player
Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
In modern footy, it is very hard to play 4 quarters and almost no one can do that. All we need is to break even when the opposition is having a purple patch.
When people talk about playing 4 quarters, that's exactly what they do mean. Breaking even is playing. Bending over and getting reamed to the tune of 10 goals (or even 4 or 5) in a quarter is not.

Cuzz09

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
True, we have never managed to convince a Victorian with kids to come over and coach us.
No it wasn't.

The question was about a guy working full time in the media and who already is working part time in coaching
with a young family.

You cannot compare full time coaches like Lyon, Harvey and Malthouse to Lewis.
Technically not a question but it was raised.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Karim Abdul Yeo

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
When people talk about playing 4 quarters, that's exactly what they do mean. Breaking even is playing. Bending over and getting reamed to the tune of 10 goals (or even 4 or 5) in a quarter is not.
you'd be surprised what others think of what 4 quarter footy means. They think we have to win full throttle every quarter for every game to be considered a chance.

Luuuc

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
In modern footy, it is very hard to play 4 quarters and almost no one can do that. All we need is to break even when the opposition is having a purple patch.
Bit of a tangent, but what is the origin of that phrase?
I think it needs to be repurposed. Surely a purple patch should mean a period of misfortune, such as an individual taking 13 shots at goal that result in 12 behinds, or a whole team taking 21 shots at goal that result in 19 behinds.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

Any game plan without desperation at the contest will fail.

Remove this Banner Ad