Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you considered that maybe.....just maybe the club has a better idea on who is fit to play and who isn't?

I don't assume the club always gets it right. I think they made a mistake if they rested Nic.

We 'coulda' played Nic and we 'coulda' won the game maybe. We 'coulda' not rested anyone and IF we were lucky no one woulda got injured. You have put up just as many coulda woulda statements as anyone.

We could cry over a review which WC has no control over or have done something WC had control over, like play Nic.

What would you have said if we played a sore Nic and he copped another injury?

It was the risk that had to be taken, as winning meant keeping top 4 in WC's own hands. He'd be back for the start of finals if he'd done a hammy due to a tight back.

Your 20 20 hindsight unfortunately isn't something the club has access too.

My call isn't a matter of hindsight, as I called for Nic not to be rested last Wednesday. In an earlier post I provided the evidence.

Yeah I get what you mean. But I reckon it's a weak top 4 this year- does anyone really think Port or Brisbane are a premiership side? It'll be Richmond, Geelong or us, and if we can string a few good weeks together we're still every chance from 5th.
Fifth this year isn't the death sentence it is for us other years. As much as I generally loathe the prefinals bye, this year it will actually work for us.

It will give us time for our best 22 to be fit and ready. We can come home for the week off and then play our first final here in Perth.

That's two weeks at home.

On the assumption we win and keep winning, we're back to the hub for the last 3 weeks.

No travelling back and forth. Just set up as we are now but with a week's recovery between games rather than 4 days.

That's 3 games we need to play against opponents I think we can beat on our day.

Of course, top 4 gives us the best chance, but we can definitely still win it from 5th or even 6th.

its not simpsons fault that we lost yesterday

we were completely fatigued. nic nat was rested for back soreness. better than letting him play

we have been completely unlucky (and probably ****ed over by afl and the WA government as well) with what has panned out this year. the year is done even if we get top four the injuries are accumulating quick and fast.

its not simpsons fault that we lost yesterday

we were completely fatigued. nic nat was rested for back soreness. better than letting him play

we have been completely unlucky (and probably f’ed over by afl and the WA government as well) with what has panned out this year. the year is done even if we get top four the injuries are accumulating quick and fast.
(We have been completely unlucky) Yep, there is a certain amount of luck attached to our game and the footy Gods have not been shining on us this year. They did in 2018 though and things change, lets all say a prayer and wake the fu#*@&s up.

Yeah I agree but it was the same conversation we were having after finishing 5th last year. The reality is, we’re not knocking off Geelong or Richmond if we have to go the long way around. There’s no way we’re that much better than them, if at all. We all thought after smacking Essendon in the elimination final that we’d sweep through Geelong and face off against Richmond again. Even if we got past the Cats the Tigers were waiting after chilling for an extra week.

Same scenario this year. It’s nice to think we could go on a tear and win 4 games on the trot.. but we couldn’t even win 4 games in a row against pretty average opposition to close out the season, let alone 4 finals games.

I also agree about the Port and Brisbane point. It should really be Port, Geelong, Tigers, us followed by Brisbane. They’ve been shithouse and have won a whole heap of identical games to the one we lost tonight. One of Port or Brisbane are 100% going out in straight sets and we’re going to be cooked based on our finishing position to not be able to challenge the other two and it should be pretty easy pickings for a GF pair from here.

Top 4 or we’re realistically done. I’d like to be positive and think we could do a 4 game sweep but last year and also 2017 we thought the same thoughts and it never got close. We need that automatic shot at a prelim more than the “double chance”. Semi’s don’t usually go down to well with us.
We were a worse team last year. There was no lift or effort in the boys whereas this year we are getting that.

It's true, we haven't won 4 games in a row these last few weeks but look at the difference:

We have had 5 days at most between each game since GWS while the Dogs had almost double that recovery time,

we have had injuries to key players since GWS,

we have been in every one of those games and could have won all four.

we will have come off a much needed bye plus a likely home final before we head back into the hub.

If Nic played, WC more than likely wins and the review becomes irrelevant.
Or

Nic pings his hammy in the first quarter just before Hutch does his.

We are down our ruckman and key tagger and two rotations for the entire match.

Williams, likely included as backup to Nic, is required to take on first ruck duties in his first game.

Psychologically, the dogs smell blood, the Eagles lose confidence and are completely smashed.

End result: we lose 4 points, percentage, confidence in our game, and probably our most influential player for 4-5 weeks.

Shuey had already done his hammy. The bad call to put him back on only compounded the issue. The situation isn't the same as Nic's.
I don't want to get into an in depth conversation here but unless you are in the WC medico teams pocket, or better still, part of the team, you would know this how? Where is your source of knowledge coming from?

Or

Nic pings his hammy in the first quarter just before Hutch does his.

We are down our ruckman and key tagger and two rotations for the entire match.

Williams, likely included as backup to Nic, is required to take on first ruck duties in his first game.

Psychologically, the dogs smell blood, the Eagles lose confidence and are completely smashed.

End result: we lose 4 points, percentage, confidence in our game, and probably our most influential player for 4-5 weeks.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as evidenced by the loss. Winning requires calculated risk. WC's aversion to such is in part why they lost.

Last edited:
I don't want to get into an in depth conversation here but unless you are in the WC medico teams pocket, or better still, part of the team, you would know this how? Where is your source of knowledge coming from?

I know because I watched the game and Shuey's slight hobble and shake of the head. I, nor anyone else, need be a medico to understand this.

I don't assume the club always gets it right. I think they made a mistake if they rested Nic.

It was the risk that had to be taken, as winning meant keeping top 4 in WC's own hands. He'd be back for the start of finals if he'd done a hammy due to a tight back.

My call isn't a matter of hindsight, as I called for Nic not to be rested last Wednesday. In an earlier post I provided the evidence.

Have you ever thought you might be wrong? Because you simply don't have the information at hand the club has?

Or are you a Trumper who 'follows my gut' and if the science doesn't back up your gut feel it must be wrong........because you are always right? You certainly read like a Trumper.

A risk that had to be taken?

Yep, lets risk one of the most important players on our list who is sore, has had two knee recos and hasn't had a break for quite a while.

Why would you risk a player that important in a game and season like this?

Because your gut told you?

OK!!! :think: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

This is not the time to make silly calls and take silly risks with your best players. IF it was a prelim or GF in a normal year you would think about it and explore it as we did with Gov in 2018. But that game v Dogs and this season resting him is a no brainer from where I'm looking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were a worse team last year. There was no lift or effort in the boys whereas this year we are getting that.

It's true, we haven't won 4 games in a row these last few weeks but look at the difference:

We have had 5 days at most between each game since GWS while the Dogs had almost double that recovery time,

we have had injuries to key players since GWS,

we have been in every one of those games and could have won all four.

we will have come off a much needed bye plus a likely home final before we head back into the hub.
Yeah I don’t doubt that it’s still “possible” with the inclusions to come but it just feels like one of those years where we’re on a knifes edge the entire time and something out of our control is going to dick us no matter what we do or how good we turn it around (the Bont 10 metre pass plus ARC utensil up as a nice example). Compound that with the rest of the top 4 not doing us any favours, despite being just as poor at times, and our injuries that have culled our entire small forward group + 2 starting centre bounce mids.

The only thing that has gone our way this year has been the home hub, and even then, we didn’t get our full home allocation which could have a huge affect on our top 4 hopes given we’ve just lost to the two sides we’d have likely had at home and might only miss top 4 by one game (I understand Vic sides haven’t been home all year but that doesn’t excuse the fact that we were fine to play our games in Perth and get our full 9-10). Isolated they’re all “excuses” but when you throw it all together, then only miss top 4 by a game or so, it’s just a bullshit flat feeling.

I fully expect Richmond to beat Geelong on Friday (if we don’t lose to Saints first). It’s just been that sort of year.. our small slip ups are fatal while others just arse their way through.

I know because I watched the game and Shuey's slight hobble and shake of the head. I, nor anyone else, need be a medico to understand this.
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: You nearly had me there. Don't cherry pick the conversation,,, How do you know Nic could play???

Yeah I don’t doubt that it’s still “possible” with the inclusions to come but it just feels like one of those years where we’re on a knifes edge the entire time and something out of our control is going to dick us no matter what we do or how good we turn it around (the Bont 10 metre pass plus ARC utensil up as a nice example). Compound that with the rest of the top 4 not doing us any favours, despite being just as poor at times, and our injuries that have culled our entire small forward group + 2 starting centre bounce mids.

The only thing that has gone our way this year has been the home hub, and even then, we didn’t get our full home allocation which could have a huge affect on our top 4 hopes given we’ve just lost to the two sides we’d have likely had at home and might only miss top 4 by one game (I understand Vic sides haven’t been home all year but that doesn’t excuse the fact that we were fine to play our games in Perth and get our full 9-10). Isolated they’re all “excuses” but when you throw it all together, then only miss top 4 by a game or so, it’s just a bullshit flat feeling.

I fully expect Richmond to beat Geelong on Friday (if we don’t lose to Saints first). It’s just been that sort of year.. our small slip ups are fatal while others just arse their way through.

You raise some good points.

It feels a bit like the season is breaking late against us, injuries at the wrong time, condensed fixture when our list is at it's weakest etc.

The most likely outcome is we finish 5th or 6th, but top 4 is still in the equation.

If there is a year to win the flag from outside the top 4, this year is it.

Whatever happens this year, is what happens.

It's too early to pack it in, but we are somewhat up against it.

Best thing about this year is it has highlighted the areas that we need to improve. A lot of that is down to improving list depth.

My big hope is 2021 is a season which closely resembles a normal season.

Cats will flog Richmond.

I agree with Obeani that the Cats can take it up to the Tiges and beat them, and i will add that i hope they do.

Have you ever thought you might be wrong? Because you simply don't have the information at hand the club has?

Of course there's the possibility that I may be wrong. I can only go by the information I have at hand, like every other poster here. The difference between me and many on this forum is that I'm not such a sycophant so as to not question the club on its decisions.

Or are you a Trumper who 'follows my gut' and if the science doesn't back up your gut feel it must be wrong........because you are always right? You certainly read like a Trumper.

Your preconceived notion / bias invalidates the point of the question.

A risk that had to be taken? Yep, lets risk one of the most important players on our list who is sore, has had two knee recos and hasn't had a break for quite a while. Why would you risk a player that important in a game and season like this? Because your gut told you?

When I've answered this over and over again and you still don't understand why I hold the position I do evidences you're either not paying attention or you're not the sharpest tool in the tool kit. Your post here is just emotional venting at someone who disagrees with you more than a good faith question. Your passive aggressiveness is telling.

This is not the time to make silly calls

"Silly" is your opinion. This supposed silly call played a part in WC losing not only the game but keeping their top 4 aspirations in their own hands. ;P

Last edited:
Simpson said his back is a bit tight. Tight, sore, stiff, aches and pains comes with the job. Players just get on with it and play through it.
O.K, good to know. You are getting your info from the T.V, like the rest of us. It is "The Vibe" of it. Got it.

I agree with Obeani that the Cats can take it up to the Tiges and beat them, and i will add that i hope they do.
Yeah I hope they do too and it should be a good game. But my point was more directed at the fact that we’ve constantly had to be inch perfect all year just to make 4th, rather than being already locked away in the top 4 and pushing for top 2 (those two things aren’t as far away as they sound).

7-0 at home, lose once to Richmond, need to go 3-0 to guarantee top 4, lose by two points in a game full of absolute cheese and all of a sudden we need someone else to win plus win our last 2. Just been like that all year while teams like Brisbane continue to arse their way through their infinite home games, constantly keeping them “safe” a game clear in the 4. Collingwood is basically what we would have been without our home hub.

O.K, good to know. You are getting your info from the T.V, like the rest of us. It is "The Vibe" of it. Got it.

As I previously stated: " I know because I watched the game and Shuey's slight hobble and shake of the head. I, nor anyone else, need be a medico to understand this."

Seeing it for oneself isn't a "vibe." But you continue to tell yourself whatever you have to though to help you cope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back