Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think Simpson really did throw the cat among the pigeons pardon the pun in the press conference. Quotes like "physically we looked weak", "no excuses for what we did today", "embarrassing" surely he gets a response. It would be alarming if he didn't. If the players don't respond with effort we have even bigger problems after that bake than who coaches us.

Faaaaark me there is a lot of spoilt supporters among us bunch. I was upset as much as everyone else about not only yesterday's game but also against the saints. I believe our leaders need to have a hard look at themselves on what they are producing away from home.

But to say Simmo needs to be sacked. For crying out loud!!!!!!!!!

I think the management of the club need.to.give Simmo the support he needs in the right assistant coaches. Having Hickmott as the midfield coach to me is the wrong move.
Does Simmo need to change a few things? Yes he does.
Every successful Senior coach has gone through trials and tribulations.
Look at Clarko, Thompson and Hardwick over the years.
Winning games of footy and a flag is hard and i don't think we appreciate this as much as we should.

Only a couple on here are saying sack the coach. Very small minority.

I think you are under selling exactly how much power the senior coach has at a football club. He is King, numero uno.
He decides the game plan, he creates it. He empowers his assistant coaches to implement it.
He would also have the final tick off on any of his assistants. If Simmo didn’t want them or think they can’t do what he wants they would not be employed.
Same with recruiting, there is no way in hell any player is recruited to the club without the tick of approval from the head coach.
This is why they earn huge money, the responsibility is enormous and lies with the head coach.

I can think of plenty of replacement coaches same as I can think of plenty of better mods. Not hard to to.
There was a pretty reasonable request to post constructively without playing the man, so to speak.

You’ve backed it up by playing the man even more. Just steady on mate, everyone’s has a bad 24 hours from an Eagles perspective, pull it back a little bit with the personal stuff. If you can’t make your point without playing the man, it’s probably not a point that needs to be made.

I think you are under selling exactly how much power the senior coach has at a football club. He is King, numero uno.
He decides the game plan, he creates it. He empowers his assistant coaches to implement it.
He would also have the final tick off on any of his assistants. If Simmo didn’t want them or think they can’t do what he wants they would not be employed.
Same with recruiting, there is no way in hell any player is recruited to the club without the tick of approval from the head coach.
This is why they earn huge money, the responsibility is enormous and lies with the head coach.
Definitely gameplan, selection and assistants. The whole game day program is the head coach’s job, and the buck stops there. I’m not swayed by the “selection committee” argument some people make. If there’s 10 of them in there, and nine of them want one bloke but the head coach wants another, you’d better believe the head coach’s one is getting picked (or at least I’d hope that’s how it works).

Recruiting I’m not sure about. Certainly in soccer, many top clubs recruit independently of their coach. Not diminishing the point of your post at all - the buck stops entirely with Simmo when it comes to selection and performance. Just not sure how much say the coach would have on all facets of draft night.

Definitely gameplan, selection and assistants. The whole game day program is the head coach’s job, and the buck stops there. I’m not swayed by the “selection committee” argument some people make. If there’s 10 of them in there, and nine of them want one bloke but the head coach wants another, you’d better believe the head coach’s one is getting picked (or at least I’d hope that’s how it works).

Recruiting I’m not sure about. Certainly in soccer, many top clubs recruit independently of their coach. Not diminishing the point of your post at all - the buck stops entirely with Simmo when it comes to selection and performance. Just not sure how much say the coach would have on all facets of draft night.
Think I've heard Simmo say before that he has very little to do with recruitment. Sure he gives the recruitment team his game plan and what he wants in a player, but it is their job to find players to suit his needs.

Think I've heard Simmo say before that he has very little to do with recruitment. Sure he gives the recruitment team his game plan and what he wants in a player, but it is their job to find players to suit his needs.
Doesn't he sit at the table during the draft though?
Even if he just tells them what he wants he could probably do with telling them he wants a player who can win the ******* ball once in a while

how did we smash port?

its all mental baby

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Reason - we had a handy midfield player who also happens to be the captain named Luke Shuey playing his only game for the year

I don’t think we would have beaten PA without him, our midfield is so pedestrian and unbalanced without him (plus Yeo).

Last edited:
Doesn't he sit at the table during the draft though?
Even if he just tells them what he wants he could probably do with telling them he wants a player who can win the ******* ball once in a while
True, I think he does.

Maybe he's there to reinforce his ideas but doesn't really have much to do with the behind the scenes research? They already have their list of preferences coming into the draft, the work is all done prior.

The thing I'd like to know is what actually happened at the end of 2018 that caused us to change our playing style out of nowhere and ramp up our contested game.

In losing Nicnat and Gaff particularly it changed the structure of our side.

We then had players come in and player career best football.

Shuey and Yeo played as though they were the top 2 mids in the competition. Yeo so much in the first 2 finals that Collingwood tagged him in the first half destroying his output. Shuey responded, putting on statistically the best grand final performance of any mid to half time. Buckley made the tag switch but it was too late, Shuey was on fire and was untaggable, continued on and now without the tag Yeo stepped up as well.

Redden and Sheed went to a whole new level both on the inside and the outside. Redden went from a maybe to a star and Sheed went from the verge of selection to a grand final hero.

Masten became a lot more accountable and showed aggression at the ball and the man that Gaff (or masten for that manner) had never previously been able to replicate or perform since from the wing.

Lycett and Vardy in a tandem went in super hard at every ruck contest and destroyed the games best ruck combinations.

Schofield played what I consider to be the best defensive game i've ever seen in the grand final.

Whilst he dropped a mark which would have ended the game Darling stood up in the 3rd quarter as a dominant force in the manner of Carey and dragged our forward line and himself into the game.

Lecras, Rioli and Masten played their roles to perfection in helping transition the ball and create inside 50's.

Jetta although injuring his calf in the first 5 minutes of the 1st quarter of the grand final stayed on the field, leaving what the opposition saw as two creative nightmares from defence in himself and Hurn. If he goes off the ground, Collingwood lock down on Hurn and we are in further trouble. He told Tom Cole and cole covered for him defensively. (massively underrated)

Sam Mitchell made one of the most hard arsed 3/4 addresses to the side known in the qualifying final. Simpson was seen to be there with a follow the process approach and there was always next week. Mitchell stepped up after being a 4 time premiership player and told the team that if they didn't win the qualifying final there was no chance they could win the grand final. It resonated with the players and we saw the 4th quarter of the qualifying final.

Lastly pretty much every coaching decision from half time made by simpson and co worked and every one by buckley didn't. In reality we dominated the second half and should have won by 5-6 goals but it didn't go down like that. As much as the players all stepped up I still believe to this day that as much as the players deserved it and played out of their skins if collingwood didn't change their setups at half time they would have won the GF. The buckley curse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you take that grand final side and where does that leave us.

A change in rules not allowing us a creative player running from the back of the square to help improve the midfield and offensively transition in clearance situations.

The loss of run and creativity of Lecras, Jetta, Rioli, Masten and Schofield.

We are no longer able to transition the ball the way we did and we are getting destroyed at ground ball gets as well because of those player losses.

We lost Lycett and with the drop off from him to Hickey and Vardy going from career best form to a liability we are now cursed in not being able to cover secondary ruck coverage for Nicnat.

We are missing 6/7 of our first picked players and likely 5 or 6 of them are from our first 10 picked.

The afl sped up the game and any speed we had is gone. We can't cover the over the top throws and handball chains with the players we have.

Father time is / has caught up not only with who is no longer on the list but also with players like Nicnat, Kennedy, Darling (repeat efforts) on all 3 and cripps who has gone from not only an offensive threat and best defensive forward (likely in the league) to a liability. Hutchings has gone from a role player and great defensive stopper (destroying sidebottom) to a question if he will ever play again due to soft tissue injuries and will never be able to run with and nullify the oppositions best mid.

Players who had career best outputs have slowed down.

We have no midfield depth and lack the uncoachable on ground creativity lost players provided.

Now what have we gained.
Nicnat, Sheppard, Gaff and their desire to replicate the success of the team really helped us from dropping off too far in 2019/2020.

Kelly who starred at Geelong as our third mid but is struggling to replicate consistent form and take up the mantle.

Ryan has taken his game to a whole new level and is a star player.

With a fully fit best 22 (including Rioli) if we are somehow able to make the top 4 or get on a great run at the end of season and be top 6 we are a shot at beating anyone. To win 3 away finals to win a grand final however for a Perth based side is nigh on impossible.

Where do we realistically stand.
Without depth and what we have lost I picked us as a 6-12th side this year with the rule changes. If things go incredibly well from here we could be above that. If they stay as they are or get worse we could finish 13-16th.

Sheed and Nicnat basically won us Round 1 and bar cripps kicking into the man on the mark would have won us round 2. Our fall away against the saints in the second half and the game against Geelong with the missing players are probably closer to where we are than our first half against port and our valiant effort against the dogs.

With our lack of depth and without returning mids or our current ones playing at career bests we will lose more than we win. We win 10-12 games for the season with probably (we are on 3 now) 5-6 of those coming out of our last 7 games. We don't make finals, Kennedy, Hurn, Hutchings and maybe even Cripps retire. Shuey's likely can't be relied upon and we need to rebuild. The window is closed. We are a mid table side who need to absolutely nail 2 full drafts for us to be a shot at a flag again before the remaining stars are too old / retire and we need a lot more depth when it comes to flankers and roleplayers. Hopefully some of those guys are already on our list.

If we don't nail the next couple of drafts it is likely we are 5+ years away from contending again and 7-8 before being a Mature team able to win a flag with a few of the current players left as role players in our next generation.

What do we need long term moving forwards. 2 star mids to replace Shuey and Yeo. 4 role playing / B grade mids to support them. Speed and run from defence and 1 more top tier creative kicker.

Our defensive pressure on the man and the ball to greatly improve and a more running based game plan. This may or may not require a new coach.

A lift in the soft cap spending. Being on the other side of the country and having been the wealthiest club in the league we have been able to rely on spending to give us the assistance we need off field. Being based in WA and coming from that background we have lost some of our most important support staff and won't be able to hire league leading replacements / have them move to WA.

A new strength and conditioning team, we are years behind league leaders like Brisbane and the Hawks in these areas.

I have heard Simmo’ s post match address a few times. To ‘say their eyes glaze over’ as a coach is simply not good enough. He is there to act not fall into a stunned mullet state. Why wasn’t Allen moved back in the second quarter when the ball never went near our deep forward. He’s been trained as a versatile player - why wasn’t it used? Why wasn’t either he or Brander put on Cameron, Sheppard was completely out of his weight division and it showed. Why wasn’t Nelson who was being played as a stopper put on Duncan who was destroying us? That capitulation was what you get from a team like NM which you wonder is going to win a game at all, not a supposed contender. Sure there were a number of soldiers out, but there were still a number of experienced players on the field. That defeat was pathetic and not good enough. You have to take losing but not like that. ‘Embarrassing’ and ‘weak’ are definitely the words.

Lastly can we stop calling players soldiers, particularly on ANZAC and Remembrance day.

As a veteran and someone from a service family it is completely ******* disrespectful. To compare 18-30 year olds who play a game to those who fight, have fought for our country or died in it's service is abhorrent and disrespects all Military personnel, veterans, support staff and their families as well as those long gone.

This comment should not need to be made, particularly on ANZAC day.

embarrassing , weak be careful Simmo on the rampage this week .
Nah, he might say that stuff to the media but we all know that behind closed doors all he does is dish out hugs and honour certificates
/s

That is an unnecessary childish comment and you shouldn’t be such a hypocrite.

You should ban yourself but that would require you to act like an adult.
Who’s your replacement coach?

That is an unnecessary childish comment and you shouldn’t be such a hypocrite.

You should ban yourself but that would require you to act like an adult.

He (and another mod) told you several times to stop with the personal attacks and you responded with more personal attacks.

You don’t get to jump up on a high horse, champ.

giphy.gif

I some what agree with you there mate and agree that the game plan is the coaches baby and he will have some imput to his assitants but the overall say is still with the GM of football. Recruitment is O'Brien's or list managers job not the coaches. I agree the game plan or more then one needs to be developed so we aren't so screwed structurally when we have important players go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back