Status
Not open for further replies.
2019 regular home and away games:
ranked no 3 in 1st quarters
Rank 14 in 2nd quarters
Rank 9 in 3rd quarters
Ranked 9 in 4th quarters

Ranked 8th overall

Overall, won 45, lost 42, drawn 1, 52.27% win / loss ratio via quarter by quarter. It's a miracle we even made it higher than 8th position going into finals.

That is not the performance of a team that's going to make a dent in the finals.
Can you do this for 2018 to show what a premiership team apparently looks like.

I have an inkling, which is obviously a completely unfounded theory, but whatever:

Simpson has set the side up to win games using one very effective gameplan/ method, and the coaches have gone all in. There is no alternative.

The players have bought into this gamplan, and will give full effort when the game is played on these terms.

However, in the back of their minds, the players have learned that the gameplan is completely ineffective against some opposition approaches.

As a result they completely disengage as soon as it becomes apparent that the game is not going to be played on their terms.

It’s surely possible to wrestle the game back on their terms, but it takes a huge amount of grit, and for whatever reason not enough of the players have it in them to do it often enough. Luckily they did in 2018.

IMO it just has to be something along these lines, because nothing else can explain how AA players can become absolute shells of themselves as soon as the opposition changes something up.

Either the gameplan is too flimsy to hold up to the full gamut of opposition tactics, and should be scrapped, or they need to devise and buy into an alternative.

I think you may be spot on. The glaring lack of a plan B when things are going against us has been obvious for the last two years.

And when your gameplan almost completely breaks down when there's any hint of moisture about, that's a fair indictment on the coaches

Yeah the question was have we ever got a Victorian with kids over.

Im guessing Christie was born in 1990

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
No it wasn't.

The question was about a guy working full time in the media and who already is working part time in coaching
with a young family.

You cannot compare full time coaches like Lyon, Harvey and Malthouse to Lewis.

I think you may be spot on. The glaring lack of a plan B when things are going against us has been obvious for the last two years.

And when your gameplan almost completely breaks down when there's any hint of moisture about, that's a fair indictment on the coaches
The 6/6/6 has hurt us a bit. Simmo loved to put an extra on the back of the square. Especially when other teams had a run on.

while we are at it can we please stop with nonsense play 4 quarter footy. In modern footy, it is very hard to play 4 quarters and almost no one can do that. All we need is to break even when the opposition is having a purple patch. So please stop this nonsense. Even looking at Richmond last year even in the GF they didn't play 4 quarters of great footy.

So when I criticize Simmo it is not about playing 4 quarters it is about the gap of performance between quarters that needs to be reduced. Lol, we won the first quarter against cats last week.

In modern footy, it is very hard to play 4 quarters and almost no one can do that. All we need is to break even when the opposition is having a purple patch.

When people talk about playing 4 quarters, that's exactly what they do mean. Breaking even is playing. Bending over and getting reamed to the tune of 10 goals (or even 4 or 5) in a quarter is not.

True, we have never managed to convince a Victorian with kids to come over and coach us.
No it wasn't.

The question was about a guy working full time in the media and who already is working part time in coaching
with a young family.

You cannot compare full time coaches like Lyon, Harvey and Malthouse to Lewis.
Technically not a question but it was raised.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When people talk about playing 4 quarters, that's exactly what they do mean. Breaking even is playing. Bending over and getting reamed to the tune of 10 goals (or even 4 or 5) in a quarter is not.
you'd be surprised what others think of what 4 quarter footy means. They think we have to win full throttle every quarter for every game to be considered a chance.

In modern footy, it is very hard to play 4 quarters and almost no one can do that. All we need is to break even when the opposition is having a purple patch.
Bit of a tangent, but what is the origin of that phrase?
I think it needs to be repurposed. Surely a purple patch should mean a period of misfortune, such as an individual taking 13 shots at goal that result in 12 behinds, or a whole team taking 21 shots at goal that result in 19 behinds.

Any game plan without desperation at the contest will fail.

I'm probably just reading too much into it, but is anyone else concerned with Simpson's approach at the moment? Primarily going off his fan question answers for the week.

'We won't win every week' - while true, it's not really the mentality I want the squad to have, especially away from home. He also suggests we'll pinch some away wins as opposed to trying to maintain positive form consistently. There doesn't seem to be an 'any time, any place' ethos, as there was in 2018. I just feel as though this reeks of settling for a lower half of the 8 finish?

He didn't really address the question about us being 18th for tackles, either.

Again, I'm probably just extrapolating too much from literal fan service.

I'm probably just reading too much into it, but is anyone else concerned with Simpson's approach at the moment? Primarily going off his fan question answers for the week.

'We won't win every week' - while true, it's not really the mentality I want the squad to have, especially away from home. He also suggests we'll pinch some away wins as opposed to trying to maintain positive form consistently. There doesn't seem to be an 'any time, any place' ethos, as there was in 2018. I just feel as though this reeks of settling for a lower half of the 8 finish?

He didn't really address the question about us being 18th for tackles, either.

Again, I'm probably just extrapolating too much from literal fan service.
I was thinking the same but he is just being honest. We aren't a top 4 team so people shouldn't be expecting us to beat the opposition every week.

I was thinking the same but he is just being honest. We aren't a top 4 team so people shouldn't be expecting us to beat the opposition every week.
If we're not a Top 4 team then should we expect Hurn and Kennedy to be phased out by the end of the year?

Not much point treading water. Which it seems like we're doing until Yeo and Shuey are back.

Sadly we'll be in a much worse position for their return than we potentially could have been. Those away losses will haunt us.

If we're not a Top 4 team then should we expect Hurn and Kennedy to be phased out by the end of the year?

Not much point treading water. Which it seems like we're doing until Yeo and Shuey are back.

Sadly we'll be in a much worse position for their return than we potentially could have been. Those away losses will haunt us.
I am hoping both Hurn and Kennedy are gone at the end of this year. Dont want to end up like the current Hawthorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back