Opinion Simpson to the Roos BS

Remove this Banner Ad

I couldn't blame them for having a red hot crack at Simmo. They'd basically be negligent not to.
The timing of his success here, and pretty much every other factor, could hardly have been worse for North's chances though.

Naaahh David Kings their man .............. he apparently has all the answers.

But the truth of the matter is that the likes King never apply for coaching jobs, as its far easier to sit on the grassy knoll and snipe away.
That's apparently what Brad said too. :)

Not good timing. Into his 6th season and contracted for 3 more. He's coaching his team now and we're not due for big playing list changes for a year or two. If he was going to leave mid contract it would make more sense in 2020/21.

North would be silly not to inquire but I doubt Simpson would entertain it. Given the length of contract remaining I doubt the club would just let him walk anyway.

North would be silly not to inquire but I doubt Simpson would entertain it. Given the length of contract remaining I doubt the club would just let him walk anyway.
Truth be told if he wants to walk we'd let him. We dont want someone to coach who doesnt want to be there. It'd be detrimental to the team.

I very much doubt he leaves anyway. North were better off sacking Scott a couple years ago and trying then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am almost hoping he leaves it to the last minute to rule out the possibility just so we can be entertained by our friends over on the NM board as they yet again go through the emotions of their never-failing always-failing recruitment cycle we have seen oh so many times now :tearsofjoy:

It's quite simple.
Players have a love of their club.
Coaches love the club they played for, but also love the club they coach.
Premiership coaches don't jump ship in their prime as a coach and a culture they've developed.
Think Simmo might feel a bit sad the position North are in, but he's a professional coach now.
He aint going nowhere, WCE boy now.
A big part of why Gaff stayed...culture, (sorry Basil).

There's more chance of Simmo inviting the whole squad around to his next birthday than going to north next year

It makes a certain amount of sense, and were WC not so primed for a few more flag tilts I'd say it'd be very likely.
- Favourite son returning home sorta thing
- way more money
- as someone else astutely pointed out, miles away from Basil Zempilas (surely this is the main attraction)
- leaving the eagles in an almost Lycett-esque, "he won us a flag so we love him anyway" kinda vibe
- a coaching job with no expectations but at the same time, a chance to stamp yourself into the game as a coaching all time great if you somehow get them to a flag

Yeah I dunno, it'd be dumb if the roos didn't at least consider it, and it'd be dumb if Simpson didn't give it a bit of a thought. I figure it'd just be how much moving house sucks that keeps him here.

It makes a certain amount of sense, and were WC not so primed for a few more flag tilts I'd say it'd be very likely.
- Favourite son returning home sorta thing
- way more money
- as someone else astutely pointed out, miles away from Basil Zempilas (surely this is the main attraction)
- leaving the eagles in an almost Lycett-esque, "he won us a flag so we love him anyway" kinda vibe
- a coaching job with no expectations but at the same time, a chance to stamp yourself into the game as a coaching all time great if you somehow get them to a flag

Yeah I dunno, it'd be dumb if the roos didn't at least consider it, and it'd be dumb if Simpson didn't give it a bit of a thought. I figure it'd just be how much moving house sucks that keeps him here.
Way more money? Our club can afford to pay him whatever he wants - even if it did mean we breach the footy department cap and have to pay 100% tax to the league. North are trying to convince everyone that they are cashed up but no-one believes them.

I have seen two Fox Footy boof heads blathering on about North should make a call to Simmo to explore coaching role at the Roos. I just can't see it myself - why would a successful coach move from the WCE to the Roos? You would have to be a footy masochist.

There must be a reason why they can not lure big name players there even though they stump up big dollars.

Thoughts?
Now we should not be too cruel. If you needed a date and had the phone number for Miranda Kerr/Kendall Jenner/Gisele Bündchen, would you make the call?

Of course you would - never get if you don't ask. Just ask Tom Brady.

Now what are my chances with one of them saying yes?

About the same as Simmo saying yes.

What more could Simmo want? Kids are settled, built a new house near the beach (and not to be confused with that shitty bay they call a beach in Melbourne), new club facilities, team play in front of 55k each week, built a winning culture, has a quality list (OK so we still need to learn to draft midfielders), more flags looking likely in the next 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back