Opinion Since 2008 ........... July is the month Port fans turn to sport in the northern hemisphere

Borrowing from our membership campaign of a couple of years ago, I was thinking this last night. So many July's since that disastrous GF in 2007, I start turning off footy because the malaise sets in and I know we wont make September action.

I still hope and barrack for us to win and make finals, but the writing is usually on the wall. Our W-L record after our last game played in July hs been;

2008 5-12
2009 8-9
2010 7-11 after being 5-2
2011 2-15
2012 5-12
2013 10-7
2014 12-5 after being 10-1
2015 7-9
2016 9-9
2017 11-7
2018 12-6 after being 11-4
2019 8-9 will probably be 8-10 after the GWS game

But since Halcyon days pre 2008 we actually had a great record in August. Those days are over and that's why July has become the turn off month.

Port had an unbelievable record in August between 2000-07
2000 W - the Olympics so season finished one month early
2001 WWWW (W 1st weekend of Sept)
2002 WWWWW
2003 WWWWW
2004 WWWW
2005 WLWW (Loss was by 7 pts to crows)
2006 LWLW (Losses 19pts North, 2 pts Colingwood)
2007 LWWWW (Loss was by 8 pts to crows)

So that's 28-4 with 3 losses in single digits in August. The build up to September was always great with lots of anticipation.

Kenny's record in August
2013 WLWLL
2014 LLWWL
2015 LWWW W(Rd 23 Sept) too little too late when we were 8-10 and start winning
2016 LLLW
2017 LWWW
2018 LLLL
That's 12-15 so far.

That's why July has now become the critical month. Its why I started and keep posting in this thread;

So in July, I now look forward to Wimbledon, British Open, Tour de France every year, and if I have pay TV, my interest in MLB picks up. Even watch more of the grand prixs than normal.

Every second year the odd numbered years the world champs in athletics and swimming are usually on.

Every fourth year there is usually the Olympics, Ashes tests.

Then there are other events squeezed into July in different years, like this year with the Cricket World Cup.

Its gone from the month of hope, to the month of death for our finals chances.

Last edited:

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Borrowing from our membership campaign of a couple of years ago, I was thinking this last night. So many July's since that disastrous GF in 2007, I start turning off footy because the malaise sets in and I know we wont make September action.

I still hope and barrack for us to win but and make finals, but the writing is usually on the wall. Our W-L record after our last game played in July hs been;

2008 5-12
2009 8-9
2010 7-11
2011 2-15
2012 5-12
2013 10-7
2015 7-9
2016 9-9
2017 11-7
2019 8-9 will probably be 8-10 the

But since Halcyon days pre 2008 we actually had a great record in August. Those days are over and that's why July has become the turn off month.

2002 WWWWW
2003 WWWWW
2004 WWWW

So that's 28-4 with 3 losses in single digits in August. The build up to September was always great with lots of anticipation.

Kenny's record in August
2013 WLWLL
2014 LLWWL
2016 LLLW
2017 LWWW
2018 LLLL

That's why July has now become the critical month. Its why I started and keep posting in this thread;

So in July, I now look forward to Wimbledon, British Open, Tour de France every year, and if I have pay TV, my interest in MLB picks up. Even watch more of the grand prixs than normal.

Every second year the odd numbered years the world champs in athletics and swimming are usually on.

Then there are other events squeezed into July in different years, like this year with the Cricket World Cup.

Sad, but true! To make things worse...
Riccardo struggling at Renault
The Aussies bumped out the cricket world cup
The women knocked out early in the soccer World cup
The Wallabies just got smacked by the Springboks
Cameron Smith fading in the British Open, and
Richie Porte now out of contention for the Le Tour GC

Nowhere to turn for succor!

Liked for the insight, not the raw data :/

It’s probably not just us though. Viewer and listener figures over the season, by team supported, would be interesting to map to actual and “anticipated” performance. As reality sets in, which fans pack it in when hype and expectations fail embarrassingly (our last 5 years) and which fans persevere through ups and downs and crap they they already might have reasonably expected (say, Saints, Freo, North)?

Not even a a fortnight ago had the sports triple header around London with two once-in-a-lifetime contests... I stayed up all the way through Wimbledon.

Maybe that softened me up for this week been up until the early hours watching the Test and the TdF - last night’s cycling finish was amazing.

I am surviving on random isolated pockets of 2-3 hours sleep now, interrupted by bouts of FB shizenposting at equally random hours ;)

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

68vette

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2014
RAdelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Baseball for me.

Hoping the Dodgers can go one better this season. Watching consecutive World Series losses has not been fun at all.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I July my thoughts have turned to the NRL in recent years and in 2016 I got to celebrate a Premiership in that code. This year I, and Capital Power, have a problem as our NRL side the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks is about as successful as the Power. The Sharks have lost the last five matches, four of them by two points or less. It is looking like we will only have the Port Magpies to follow come September but on the strength of today's 'on the nose' performance from the Magpies that is by no means a given.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
At least the EPL is only 2 and bit weeks away. I'll be up at all hours watching City go for three in a row, and the Champions League campaign and the cup runs. I have more fun doing that at stupid times of the night and morning then I do watching Port Adelaide.

It's at the point now where I get more into City's games, and what they are doing and Port come second now. Never thought that wouod happen.

Toronto Raptors fan here. Last season they sacked their head coach, despite him having gotten them to four playoff series in a row, because just making the playoffs wasn't considered good enough. This season they won their first ever NBA championship. Funny how that works.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

I still hope and barrack for us to win and make finals, but the writing is usually on the wall. Our W-L record after our last game played in July hs been;

2008 5-12
2009 8-9
2010 7-11 after being 5-2
2011 2-15
2012 5-12
2013 10-7
2015 7-9
2016 9-9
2017 11-7
2019 8-9 will probably be 8-10 after the GWS game

2002 WWWWW
2003 WWWWW
2004 WWWW

Kenny's record in August
2013 WLWLL
2014 LLWWL
2016 LLLW
2017 LWWW
2018 LLLL
That's 12-15 so far.

Brazilian/South American soccer, the Rugby Championship, and NRL are great Southern-Hemisphere alternatives. #justsaying :p

----

On the subject-matter, it only shows what we all already know: our team is sadly lead by chokers. Most of them aren't exactly "no-hopers," but are in positions that doesn't suit them. We lack proper leadership — on and off the field.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm a huge cycling fan.
Two of the last 4 stages have been won by Aussies, Caleb Ewan and Mitchelton Scott.

Very happy that the following have been added to SBS's schedule recently:
Arctic Race of Norway – August 2019
CRO Race – October 2019
Tour of Oman – February 2020
Volta a Catalunya – March 2020
Tour of Turkey – April 2020
Eschborn-Frankfurt – May 2020
Tour de Yorkshire – May 2020
Tour de Hongrie – June 2020

Cancelled my Foxtel Sports because everything I care about is on SBS anyway.

I really don't care if an Aussie wins the TDF or not though, very happy for Alaphilipe to give France its first victory for 20+ years.
After all the terrorism and the Notre Dame incident I want to see them have some happiness.

Look forward to July every year.

And next July we have Tokyo 2020 and being in our timezone the coverage will be huge (and I love Japan after having visited last September).
We watch some NHK most nights ( I dropped Sports but the wife still has her channels).

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Lucky you guys, I don't like other sports that much.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baseball for me.

Hoping the Dodgers can go one better this season. Watching consecutive World Series losses has not been fun at all.
The Indians have lost yesterday, but is back into the divisional race. It is one of the worst Cleveland squads of this decade, but once in the Finals, one never knows what might happen...

----

My teams:
Brazilian soccer - Grêmio FBPA
International soccer - Brazil; Uruguay
Gaucho futsal - Associação EU
AFL/SANFL - Port Adelaide FC
MLB - Cleveland Indians
NFL - New York Giants
NBA - Detroit Pistons
MLS - DC United
College football - Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Last edited:

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Speaking of American sports, I can't understand their obsession with college sport.. Ffs there nothing more pathetic than a bunch of 50-60 year olds banging on about their college team.. So what you went to a school 30 years ago... Hook em... Get fked...

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Speaking of American sports, I can't understand their obsession with college sport.. Ffs there nothing more pathetic than a bunch of 50-60 year olds banging on about their college team.. So what you went to a school 30 years ago... Hook em... Get fked...
It is actually a really interesting phenomenon. It is the American version of "local sport clubs".

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Aston Villa back in the Premier League is probably the most exciting thing for me.

I was excited about the Dolphins prospects but I just checked and Trevor Lawrence isn't draft eligible until 2021, so all the crushing losses will be for nothing.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Aston Villa back in the Premier League is probably the most exciting thing for me.
Norwich too, hoping for my Canaries just to stay up for more than 1 season.
I'm a golf tragic so the Open Championship is a highlight for me. Great win by the very popular local Shane Lowry.
Eldrick Tont aka "Tiger" Woods not making the cut is an added bonus.
So over the media's fixation on him even when he's no-where near contending.

That's because you don't understand American institutions and Americans.

The overwhelming majority of Americans who go to college/uni, go away from home - then college becomes an important institution in their coming of age years - as they don't live with their folks, those 4 years become special as does the institution and people they become friends with.

A significant percentage of Americans grow up in 1/3rd of the country, go to college in another 1/3rd and then start their career and spend a big chunk of their life if not the rest of it in the other 1/3rd of the country. The Australian experience is at the other end of the spectrum, stay in your home city, live with the folks, go to a uni down the road or across town, not in a country town or another state and find work in the same city/state.

The US don't have a strong history of amateur sports, even semi-professional sports. High school football and basketball in particular is huge because they don't have a local team down the road to go play for in the u/12, then u/14, u/16 like you do in Oz sports once you hit high school. That playing/following your high school only, gets transferred when they travel across the country to attend college.

Plus their Alumni's become important institutions especially for careers. The annual home coming games, for the different sports, become a big thing and an opportunity to catch up with people who have moved all over the country, once a year.

A lot of Americans can't get interested in a team that is owned by an individual or family, who is there to make money, takes money out of the club, is happy to have a "500" winning season and not win the lot. And they can't buy season tickets in many instances.

My Canadian mate used to be an ice hockey nut. He said once he left college moved to Toronto from Thunder Bay, and saw it was a just business, he just lost interest as a passionate fan. He stopped going to Maple Leaf games. His late brother was a well known high school hockey coach in Toronto, so he used to spend a lot of time watching his teams play. Canada has a lot stronger history of amateur sports, similar to Oz, than the USA.

Do you like Koch and the way he has guided Port? Imagine if Koch 100% owned Port Adelaide. Would you have the same attachment if for 20 years he ran Port like the way he has guided us and the last 5 years have turned out, or would you go and watch your amateur club that you knew the people and knew their kids playing thru the grades? College teams becomes the local club down the road for many Americans.

Last edited:

68vette

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2014
RAdelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
The Indians have lost yesterday, but is back into the divisional race. It is one of the worst Cleveland squads of this decade, but once in the Finals, one never knows what might happen...

A couple of really good teams in the American League being the Yankees and Astros in your way. I am not sure if the Twins can keep going in your division. They have surprised everyone. Trade deadline 31st July. Indians have gone from sellers to buyers.

Back