News Sinclair retired, Ramsay and Oxley delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess it frees up that extra rookie spot though. Oxley is too soft to make it even as a wingman IMO.

There were aspects of his game at VFL level that gave me hope. Sadly, it wasn't on display enough at senior level. I certainly didn't think he was soft, soft players don't back into oncoming packs which I've seen him do all too often.

Remember without a Cat B rookie the list will drop from 45 to 44.
Cox being the Cat B Rookie.

Tell me if I have this wrong!

So at the moment 7 off, 2 in, only leaves 5 spots in total to get to 44.
Off: Keefe, White, Sinclair, Ramsey, McCarthy, Schade, Mackie,
Oxley to rookie list.
In: Cox, Murphy.

Last year 39 + 5 = 44 plus Cox 45.
At the moment 36 + 3 = 39.

Rules state 40+4, or 39+5 or 38+6. Plus up to 3 cat B’s
So we have 5 spots left. Up to 4 draft selections + 1 rookie.

He has to be... he's the only 'small defender' we have now, considering Smith isn't quick & can't really defend one-on-one, & Maynard is supposedly moving up the ground...

Was a discussion about the senior list on the CFC web page which has had some updates but still doesn't/didn't include Murray, not about where he'll be ultimately listed which has to be the senior list.

Cox being the Cat B Rookie.

Tell me if I have this wrong!

So at the moment 7 off, 2 in, only leaves 5 spots in total to get to 44.
Off: Keefe, White, Sinclair, Ramsey, McCarthy, Schade, Mackie,
Oxley to rookie list.
In: Cox, Murphy.

Last year 39 + 5 = 44 plus Cox 45.
At the moment 36 + 3 = 39.

Rules state 40+4, or 39+5 or 38+6. Plus up to 3 cat B’s
So we have 5 spots left. Up to 4 draft selections + 1 rookie.

At the moment it's 36 and 2 until we actually re-list Oxley in the RD as I understand it. Still some uncertainty about Smith and Blair.

At the moment it's 36 and 2 until we actually re-list Oxley in the RD as I understand it. Still some uncertainty about Smith and Blair.
I would like to see more changes than 4 draft picks and a rookie.
Blairs time is up, Smith I would keep.
Mayne, Varcoe, Wills should go but all have contracts!

I would like to see more changes than 4 draft picks and a rookie.
Blairs time is up, Smith I would keep.
Mayne, Varcoe, Wills should go but all have contracts!

Dont think we lose too much if Smith and Blair depart and I wouldn't be too concerned if Mayne also got the chop, but I think Varcoe and Wills should be retained. Varcoe because he'll be important in a small defender role, Will because he could become an inside midfield clearance beast.

Dont think we lose too much if Smith and Blair depart and I wouldn't be too concerned if Mayne also got the chop, but I think Varcoe and Wills should be retained. Varcoe because he'll be important in a small defender role, Will because he could become an inside midfield clearance beast.
Mayne has to stay because if you chop him he still collects is $400K salary per year for the next 3 years. You need to either have to bribe him to take early retirement or find a role he can play in the senior team. Another year playing VFL won't cut it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mayne has to stay because if you chop him he still collects is $400K salary per year for the next 3 years. You need to either have to bribe him to take early retirement or find a role he can play in the senior team. Another year playing VFL won't cut it.

Keep him, front load him an extra 2 or3 hundred k (every cent we can afford up to the cap) and then if you need to delist at the end on 2018 it won’t hurt so much or impact much our chances of landing a big fish eg lynch.

If he plays VFL so be it. He has to deserve senior selection.

Pretty happy with the delistings this year, weeding the club of some fairly long term list cloggers. Next year we should see 5-6 more list cloggers go as their contracts expire and then I think we can build a much better and deeper list up to premiership contention if we are able to draft and recruit well learning from the errors of 2013-2016.

Every year lists have players who won’t make it or who are nearing the ends of their careers. Some people call them list cloggers, others call them depth or “project players”. They are just words really. No team has a full list of 40 250 gamers. They will always be half a dozen who are making up the numbers for one reason or another.

If we enter 2018 with Smith and Blair as our only “list cloggers” (plus Mayne who is a different story) then that’s not too bad.

If we enter 2018 with Smith and Blair as our only “list cloggers” (plus Mayne who is a different story) then that’s not too bad.
None of those 3 look like modern footballers, they're dumpy and slow compared to the prototype tall athletes of today, but yeah they're depth at least

Remove this Banner Ad

Back