Opinion Sinclair

Remove this Banner Ad

esc0bar

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've seen a few posts on this board talk about Sinclair. If my memory serves me correctly, he was drafted in 2009 along with Josh Thomas after we took Jolly with pick 14.

This guy is obviously an anomaly and for us "outsiders" it's hard to get a gauge on where the club rates him.

Does he fit into the pies game plan? Our game plan consists of a forward press and he brings the speed and pressure needed to implement it. We saw Leon hold down this role in 2010, where his 1%ers were enough to keep him in the side despite his performance issues.

What about his skills? I have seen nothing which suggests to me that he has the level of skill required at AFL. However in the forward line his woeful kicking may not be as exposed, especially if he continues to play deep or as a crumber.

Decision making: This guy actually has great awareness and is exemplified by his ability to find the ball. He knows where to sit under a pack and run to receive the ball.

Will he make it? With the club delisting Barham only a few season ago (after showing something against Brisbane) i would say the odds are against him. However a few things that Barham didn't have (due to his limited exposure to AFL as a kid), was great decision making skills and time to develop in the seniors.

It seems we are given Sinclair every chance to show something and perhaps he will improve his skill level by 25% once he gets the confidence. This could be enough to be enough for 100 games but that is being optimistic.

What are your thoughts?

He has Shocking Skills and get Deer in the Headlight look when he has the Ball.

Has Great Speed and Puts Great Pressure on but the Above that Negates this

So Dave do you think that he can improve or do you think (being an avid VFL watcher) this is a problem he will always have?

So Dave do you think that he can improve or do you think (being an avid VFL watcher) this is a problem he will always have?

Well he Could a bit but I can't see him improving enough

He needs to steady at senior level and start making cleaner disposal, but his tenacity in the chase and second efforts are commendable. It's just a pity that he seems hell bent on butching the pill 75% of the time when he wins the ball.

Definitely needs to take some deep breaths when he gets the ball, and then execute with a clear head. Some players never get over that, and as a result he might never have good skill execution at AFL level.

Also, a huge deficiency in his game I feel is that he has probably one of the slightest frames in the AFL and just gets bumped off the ball unbelievably easily. Fairly sure a stiff breeze would knock that kid flat.

I'm not a Sinclair fan and was surprised he wasn't delisted last season. Having said that I think he showed some positive things against Hawthorn despite the criticism he has copped. He shows an ability to run to good positions and a commitment to win his own ball. He shows he is committed to applying defensive pressure. Thats what Sinclair has. Commitment. You just can't write those players off. I think its also good to have individuals like that around the club.

As an aside he reminds me a bit of Dennis Armfield in his build and style of play.

I'm not a Sinclair fan and was surprised he wasn't delisted last season. Having said that I think he showed some positive things against Hawthorn despite the criticism he has copped. He shows an ability to run to good positions and a commitment to win his own ball. He shows he is committed to applying defensive pressure. Thats what Sinclair has. Commitment. You just can't write those players off. I think its also good to have individuals like that around the club.

As an aside he reminds me a bit of Dennis Armfield in his build and style of play.

Same here mate - Thought he was lucky to not get De-Listed when Bucks Came in.

Maybe being a Weak Draft saved his Ass.

He needs to steady at senior level and start making cleaner disposal, but his tenacity in the chase and second efforts are commendable. It's just a pity that he seems hell bent on butching the pill 75% of the time when he wins the ball.

Definitely needs to take some deep breaths when he gets the ball, and then execute with a clear head. Some players never get over that, and as a result he might never have good skill execution at AFL level.

Also, a huge deficiency in his game I feel is that he has probably one of the slightest frames in the AFL and just gets bumped off the ball unbelievably easily. Fairly sure a stiff breeze would knock that kid flat.

I noticed this too. He looks like a kid amongst men out there but as Quicky mentioned he does have the commitment. I am sure Bucks had a lot of say about Barham getting delisted so im not sure on why they kept Sinclair. This was more the purpose of the thread. To try to see the perspective of keeping him on the list and keeping him in the side this week. Maybe a late change?

Looks decent in training though. Not sure if his kicking is due to feeling rushed in games, because if that's the case, then it will improve with more senior exposure. Remember, he's only played about 5 games, was sub for a few too.

I think his rushing was highlighted in the NAB cup, and also last weekend, when he had heaps of time running into the 50, but rushed and shanked it for a behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One things for sure, were not gonna be a top 4 side if were full of people like young sinclair keefe... need to get some more young talent this draft desperately. Hopefully we get 2 really top class young guys

.....or apparently that little insignificant thing called the salary cap

Sinclair was drafted in '09 anyway, which meant his initial contract finished last year. I would've never re-signed him, hence no affect on the salary cap by cutting him.

Remember he was signed as a project player, he has had injuries which haven't helped his development and this year is the first year he has had an uninterrupted pre-season/finally got the body to compete at AFL level.

So with that in mind, how can one judge him from one match this year. Watching him I actually rated a lot of things he did against the Hawks, his field kicking was very good, pressure amazing and he showed signs of ball winning ability (which is the key, doesn't normally rack up huge numbers). Beside his shank at goal, he was good, give him the an extended run in the seniors and watch him gain confidence and play well.

BTW from all reports absolute ripping person, which is what you want around the club!

One things for sure, were not gonna be a top 4 side if were full of people like young sinclair keefe... need to get some more young talent this draft desperately. Hopefully we get 2 really top class young guys

This i dont get... look at the age of our team, pendles,daisy,sidebottom,beams, shaw, cloke, reid, dawes and the list can go on, all under 25, to say we desperately need young talent is odd, we have alot of great young talent used our rookie picks pretty well and nsw players, in the last 6 years we have played finals, so where was collingwood meant to get any extra "talented youngsters" with the picks we had, u cant draft guns and play finals every year...we have done well.. plus we have a GF, clubs doing pretty well in my book...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back