Single Coaches

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Has there ever been a coach who was single?

Just thinking of Nathan Buckley tonight and the amount he thinks about the game - he lives, breathes, sleeps footy - I can imagine having a wife and kids to come home to helps him chill out - even for 20 mins.

If there was a single coach I can imagine how it could take over your whole life (moreso than normal) - you would just get home, order a pizza and go over more stuff.

Cant think of anyone who has been single?

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Isn't Brad "The Messiah" Scott single?

Is he??

Ah there ya go,...I wonder how he handles everything. Im sure once you get into a routine you would have to find some time to chill out.

I wonder if he has a spare room full of white boards/DVDs/Big screen for studying etc..

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Actually thought both the Scotts are or were until not long.

There would have been quite a few, and more as coaches get younger and younger.

Yeah that is true.

I wonder if the guys deciding on a coaching panel take this into account when making their choice?

Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners and Seahawks
I thought both Scott's were single too..........

I actually think being single would be good as a coach. Yes a wife and kids take your mind off things but that is full on too.

Nolsey21

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If there is, you would definitely thinks hey would be able to have more time to dedicate to footy

Bluish

Team Captain
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Brad was single when he started at North, but I seem to remember him paying tribute to his partner/girlfriend during his speech last year's B&F count. So I think he is taken for the moment, unless anything has happened over the last few months.

EDIT: Found it here (at 5:05) if anyone is that interested; TBH I can't for the life of me work out why you would be.

chris referenced his father-in-law being unhappy about his 'best day of my life' comment.

I thought that was hilarious, said something like "He was unhappy when I said it was the best day of my life, but then my wife said it was the best day of her life too."

And Huddo made some sort of suggestive noise, as if Scott showed his wife how happy the day had made him later on. ;)

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
Brad was single when he started at North, but I seem to remember him paying tribute to his partner/girlfriend during his speech last year's B&F count. So I think he is taken for the moment, unless anything has happened over the last few months.

I seem to remember him meeting her at a Hawthorn game

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah that is true.

I wonder if the guys deciding on a coaching panel take this into account when making their choice?

I'd be extremely surprised if so, not to mention it maybe being kind of discrimination.

Everyones different, for some people a family may help with relaxing down time, others may struggle to manage their time. It's all about the individual and their ability to do the job.

Do reckon theyd all need understanding partners! As would any senior business execs etc...

Has there ever been a coach who was single?

Just thinking of Nathan Buckley tonight and the amount he thinks about the game - he lives, breathes, sleeps footy - I can imagine having a wife and kids to come home to helps him chill out - even for 20 mins.

If there was a single coach I can imagine how it could take over your whole life (moreso than normal) - you would just get home, order a pizza and go over more stuff.

Cant think of anyone who has been single?

On the flip side, I can see having a spouse or partner like that being a distraction from the job - having to split time and energy, the inevitable arguments and fights.

Single coach would be able to be more dedicated. Feeling lonely? Get a dog, they don't complain because a tactics session ran 3 hours overtime.

Back