Single Entity Teams That Have Disappeared In The Last 25 Years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
How many Football Clubs can you think of around Australia, that have disappeared from the scene as a single entity, Senior football club by way of either a) a merger or b) folding, in the lat 25 years?

From Tasmania the list would be:

Southern Districts Cats (TFL)
Sandy Bay (TFL)
Cooee (NWFU)
Burnie Tigers (NTFL)
East Launceston (NTFA)
City South (NTFA)
Franklin (HFA)
Lachlan (STFL)
Risdon Vale (TFA)
Cambridge (TFA)
Port Arthur (PFL)
Eaglehawk Neck (PFL)
Premaydena (PFL)
Colebrook (TFA)
Upper Derwent (ODFA)
Railway (TFA)
Bridgewater (Sthn Amatuers)
Campania (Sthn Amatuers)
Woodsdale (ODFA)
Parattah (ODFA)
Kempton (ODFA)
Strahan (WTFA)
Lyell-Gormanston (WTFA)
Smelters (WTFA)
Zeehan (WTFA)
Maydena (UDFL)
New Town (OSFA)
Beauty Point (NDTAFL)
Exeter (NDTAFL)
Northern Districts (NDTAFL)
Beaconsfield (NDTAFL)

These are some of the ones I can think of, off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Franklin (HFA)

Franklin was actually a merger with Huonville, to become the Huonville Lions.
They used to play 2-3 games a season at Franklin oval on the riverside down there, not sure about now though.

Correct LFC, they merged with the Huonville Bulldogs at the end of Season 1997.
They did play a few games at the old Franklin ground, down by the river-side.
I saw a Hobart - Lions match there once, the Colts was played in a pea souper fog so bad, that the players virtually couldn't even see thier opponent:D
I remember it as a ground that the mud smelt appaling, had very poor facilities and was tiny, but very picturesque I might add.

They haven't played there since the infamous match against Claremont a couple of years ago when the umpire had to be put near the pie oven because of hypothermia, and the match was called off in the last quarter because of the sheer freezing conditions.

Quite a few of those teams listed are gone by way of mergers, that is what I mean by "single entity clubs";)

Originally posted by SOUTHERN TIGER

They haven't played there since the infamous match against Claremont a couple of years ago when the umpire had to be put near the pie oven because of hypothermia, and the match was called off in the last quarter because of the sheer freezing conditions.

Oh, I remember that game/weekend well. Was at Kermandie that day I think, and it wasn't much better down there!!
Was at Franklin a couple of times in the colts myself. Not a fun place to be at 8:30 in the morning with a frost happening!

Originally posted by LFC
Oh, I remember that game/weekend well. Was at Kermandie that day I think, and it wasn't much better down there!!
Was at Franklin a couple of times in the colts myself. Not a fun place to be at 8:30 in the morning with a frost happening!

LOL yeah, you're not wrong. The wind is ball-tearingly cold when it blows off the Huon River there.
I think we were at the TCA that day and it snowed from memory - one of those horrific TCA days - wind so strong you can't stand up, so cold it cuts you in half, ground so muddy you need a tow-rope to get across the field:D

Ohhh fun days they were :cool:

Semaphore Central and Exeter were two bitter rivals in the SA Amateur League who shared the same oval for about 70 years. Many of the players either went on to play for Port Adelaide or were ex Port players who had ended their SANFL career. When the SAFA was formed in 1978 these two rivals merged to form Port Districts, a sad day indeed. In the early 1970s Port Adelaide were playing a holiday Monday match in the SANFL. On the Saturday Semaphore Centrals played Exeter and the crowd was more than 2,000. Interestingly Port Magpies now struggle to draw many more than that to many of their games in the SANFL.

Newcastle NSW:

Western Suburbs (my old club :( )
Wallsend (merged with Wests then both went under)
Maitland
Coalfields
Muswellbrook
Singleton
Williamtown RAAF

Central Coast NSW:

Bateau Bay
North Central Coast

Heytesbury Mt. Noorat Football League (SW VIC): wound up last season.

From HMNFL:
Glenormiston FC merged with Noorat FC (kept Noorat FC name)
Noorat FC merged with Kolora FC to form Kolora-Noorat FC in Warrnambool & District League
Timboon FC merged with Heytesbury FC to form Timboon Demons in the W&DFL
Otway Districts FC and Simpson FC moved to the Colac & District Football League

Hampden (SW VIC)
Mortlake FC merged with Derrinallum FC to form Western Lions FC
Western Lions fell apart; Derrinallum formed new alliance with Lismore FC to form Lismore-Derrinallum FC, Mortlake formed new alliance with Terang FC to form Terang-Mortlake FC

Here's a few from the AFLQ (nee QAFL) -

Coorparoo Roos
Windsor-Zillmere Eagles
Kedron Demons
Western Districts Bulldogs
Sherwood Magpies

That leaves

Sandgate Hawks - reformed 1990's
Wilston-Grange Gorillas - reformed 1990's
Mayne Tigers - re-emerged 4 years ago

Morningside and Southport are the only untouched clubs.
:(

Others to disappear -
Everton Park
Ipswich
Banyo
Oakleigh
Beenleigh
Hemmant

without even trying !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a few

In WA 2 teams i played for dont exist any more.
Norseman footy club was in the kalgoorlie football league when i was there,it then changed to the esperance league and then folded.

Railways footy club in narrogin this year merged with towns to become a part of what for years was the arch enemy.
now a one team town.

a league i played in in victoria..the maryborough district league had teams from chewton and a local maryborough side called primrose which have disappeared altogether.

up in merredin there is now no team in merriden at all in the merriden league.

i have seen many leagues disappear altogether over here merging with others to stay viable.

Moonambel, Landsborough, Marnoo all folded from the Lexton FL.
Others :
Horsham DFL - Horsham North/Homers, Longerenong College, Gerang-Kiata, Netherby-Lorquon.
Loddon Valley FL - Yarrawalla, Korong Vale.
Maryborough-Castlemaine DFL - Chewton, Primrose.
Central Highlands FL - Korweinguboora.
Southern Mallee FL - Yaapeet.
Northern Mallee FL - Mittyack.

... the list goes on.

(and that's just the single entity deaths. those that disappeared by way of merger is a more extensive list again)

Single Entity Teams That Have Disappeared In The Last 25 Years

In the WRFL they have lost Kealba Green Gully, Ascot Vale, Newport, East Newport and West Newport. Also they have North Melbourne-Kensington bu they were kicked out.

re ascot vale

back around 1968 ascot vale and ascot youth centre AYC had teams in the essendon district league.junior and senior.
AYC folded not long after i left to play at avondale heights but ascot vale was still there then.
most of the AYC players went to riverside stars or the moonee imps.
wonder if those 2 are still around now.

Yarra Valley Mountain District F.L
Marysville (1983) Green & Gold Stripes
Croydon North (1997)
Worawa College (2003)
Boronia Park (2002)
Tungamah League (folded 1995)
Invergordon (1988) Hawthorn colours
Benalla District F.L
Benalla Rovers (late 80's, although they did win the flag in 1986)
Strathbogie (Late 80's) Black & Royal Blue Stripes
Panton Hill F.L. (folded 1987)
Donnybrook (1980) Geelong Colours
St Andrews (1984) Richmond colours
Kinglake (1980, re-formed in 1990 in Yarra Valley MDFL, moved to Diamond Valley in 1996) Green with a Gold V
St George/Reservoir (1982)
Coolaroo Rovers (1987) Royal Blue with light blue monogram on the left brest
Keon Park (1987, briefly re-appeared in 1994, but folded yet again) Black with Gold Yoke & Gold Shorts
Reservoir Rovers (1987)
Heidelberg Colts (1987) Navy with white middle stripe with HC Monogram
Diamond Valley F.L
Thornbury (1990) Port Melbourne Colours
Research (booted out in 1991) Red & White Stripes, previously in Footscray colours in the Panton Hill League 1958-1985
St Andrews/Coburg (1995) West Coast Eagles (early 90's) jumpers Royal Blue & Gold
Fairfield Park (1996)
Omeo DFL
Ensay (1995) Royal Blue with gold hoop
Victorian Football Association
Sunshine (1989) Navy with white Yoke
Camberwell (1991) Red white & blue bars with a red cfc monogram in the middle
Northcote (1987) green & gold stripes, previously green with a gold saddle
Moorabbin (1987)
Waverley (1987) red & black stripes
Oakleigh (1994) purple with gold trim & OFC monogram
Dandenong (1994) Melbourne colours then white with red & navy V's
Brunswick (1991)
Echuca League (folded 1990)
Bunnaloo (1989, they won the flag in thier last year) Green with Gold sash
Bamawm Extension (late 80's)
Heathcote League
Tooborac (1987) (Geelong Colours)
Bendigo League
Northern United (1996-7?)
Kennington/Strathfieldsaye (80's)
And a few more that can't remember right now

Re: re ascot vale

Originally posted by snappytom
back around 1968 ascot vale and ascot youth centre AYC had teams in the essendon district league.junior and senior.
AYC folded not long after i left to play at avondale heights but ascot vale was still there then.
most of the AYC players went to riverside stars or the moonee imps.
wonder if those 2 are still around now.

I know a bit about Riverside Stars and Moonee Imps has Maribyrnong Park is my local football club. Riverside Stars and Moonee Imps merged together to become Maribyrnong Park. The meger happened at around 1980

Also remember Ascot Vale play games as a kid at Walter St in the late1980's and early 1990'd

Originally posted by The Scarecrow
Soon you'll be able to add Lindisfarne to the Tasmanian list, they are struggling on and off the field.

Nah mate they are throwing $$$ around like nobody's business. They are quite financial, and only need to recruit a quality couple of players capable of bringing more with them a la Sorell this season, and they'll be right on track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back