Single Entity Teams That Have Disappeared In The Last 25 Years.

Remove this Banner Ad

1959.... Man I was way off!

Looks like we both have the same book :)
Yeah I've got all Peter Lines' SA footy books, theyre awesome.

On that point does anyone know if there is any similar books about country footy in Victoria? I know there's a few books about certain leagues/districts but I'm yet to see one that covers all of Victoria.

Yeah I've got all Peter Lines' SA footy books, theyre awesome.

On that point does anyone know if there is any similar books about country footy in Victoria? I know there's a few books about certain leagues/districts but I'm yet to see one that covers all of Victoria.
Lines, along with Peter Argent, are both absolute legends due to their work and interest in SA Country Football. Both should be recognised in the SA Hall of fame.

East Warrnambool for WDFL have gone into recess for 2020 season. Astonishing the number of clubs in Warrnambool remaining considering the population.

Does anybody know which leagues these defunct South Australian clubs belonged to?

Perponda
Port Neill
Wynarka

I know it's a heck of a bump but no one answered this.

Perponda were in the now defunct Mid Murray FL and folded in 2000.

Port Neill merged with Arno Bay in 1989 - both were in the old Country Jervois FL. The new club - "Ports FC" - became a founding member of the Eastern Eyre FL. Ports are currently struggling at the moment, along with quite a few Eyre Peninsula clubs.

Wynarka was in the Murray Lands FA and in 1994 merged with Karoonda - Borrika and United Football Clubs to form Karoonda Districts in the new Mallee FL.

Actually Covid has probably staved off extinction of a few clubs in Tassie.
Swansea and Oatlands from the ODFA looked likely to go prior to Covid, have managed to get their clubs going again.
Yeoman and Natone in the North West, likewise.
Old Scholars club, Richmond and SFL club, Claremont look to be the two current ones in some sort of trouble with a lack of player numbers at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The word in the street is it could be a 10% drop off in Vic Country Clubs - AFL Vic has $0 money having been raped by the AFL
That doesn't surprise me one bit.
There's significant rumour out of Tassie that the Tasmanian State League won't be renewed when it's contract is up for renewal, either end of this year or the next. Gets very little funding from the AFL as it is.
No money in the league at all, abysmal attendances, media not interested in it, no longer shown on TV, young players leaving the competition in droves to go back to regional football, terribly lopsided competition over the past several years.
No north-western clubs in the league as they both quit years ago, the two Launceston teams dominating it by so far it's laughable as they have virtually half the state to pick from. The southern clubs, Clarence, Glenorchy, North Hobart, Kingborough all uncompetitive (or at least) no show of winning a flag.
Lauderdale heavily recruited interstate players for years and still couldn't win a grand final from several attempts.
TSL also not seen as a credible recruiting zone by AFL recruiters any longer.

While not single entity teams, there's a few clubs on the Eyre Peninsula in SA that are rumoured to be amalgamating - Wudinna United and Central Eyre are rumoured to he merging in time for this coming season and moving to the Eastern Eyre FL.

However there is also rumours that one of the few stand alone clubs left, Elliston, may merge with Western Districts and also move to EEFL.

Update on Elliston.

Elliston at the moment are applying to join the Great Flinders FL along with Western Districts, under the "Elliston Districts" moniker, for 2021. While not a merger per se, it is a combined team for 2021 with more decisions and discussions to take place after the season.

Elliston are one of the few stand alone clubs left on the EP.

Re: Single Entity Teams That Have Disappeared In The Last 25 Years

Was Kealba Green Gully one team, or did you mean to mention them as two: Kealba, Green Gully?

I only have a reference for a Kealba FC.

Also do you happen to know, prior to the WRFL coming about in 2000, which clubs were in the FDFL and which were in the WSFL?

I've never been able to find out!

Sorry if someone else has already replied, haven't gone through all pages.

Of the current WRFL clubs, Hoppers Crossing, Altona, Laverton, Sunshine Heights, Wyndhamvale and Newport (disbanded and reformed) joined from the old WSFL. Others that came over and since disbanded were West Newport, East Newport, Williamstown United and Central Altona.

Kealba were known as Kealba Green Gully when they joined but became Kealba before folding about 1997.

Someone way back mentioned new teams being formed.

Currently a Seaford Giants FC (based in Seaford SA) are trying to form properly and enter the Great Southern FL.

Rather sad reading this thread particularly in regards to country clubs. Hopefully with the current exodus from our cities, country footy may benefit.

Better news from Melbourne's Western Region FL is that there has been 6 new start up clubs in the past 6 seasons or so - Tarneit, Wyndham Suns, Point Cook Centrals, Truganina, Manor Lakes, whilst Newport have reformed.

Rather sad reading this thread particularly in regards to country clubs. Hopefully with the current exodus from our cities, country footy may benefit.

Better news from Melbourne's Western Region FL is that there has been 6 new start up clubs in the past 6 seasons or so - Tarneit, Wyndham Suns, Point Cook Centrals, Truganina, Manor Lakes, whilst Newport have reformed.
Werribee's an astounding growth area. It's no wonder so many new clubs are forming there. It's so stunning I sometimes enjoy just throwing up google maps and looking at the region to see basically what else has been added!

Campbell's Creek have gone into recess in 2021 as they were looking at only fielding 8 out of the required 12 sides needed for football/netball.
I believe Dustin Martin played a few junior games for the club back in the day.

With no football or netball in 2 years it would be a herculean task to get the club up and running again whilst navigating through salary caps & points as well.

Campbell's Creek have gone into recess in 2021 as they were looking at only fielding 8 out of the required 12 sides needed for football/netball.

With no football or netball in 2 years it would be a herculean task to get the club up and running again whilst navigating through salary caps & points as well.
30 years on from when they made sensational history v Primrose ... sad

That's a shame that's my junior club, thought there where on the right track a few years ago but I guess not

I have some insight into the in Western District and we’re approaching judgement day in about 2 weeks - lots of clubs will not field reserves (even in Major Leagues) - independent umpires are in short supply - grassroots has been forgotten

Remove this Banner Ad

Back