Single Entity Teams That Have Disappeared In The Last 25 Years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate I think you can do your own research here, but I’ll start you off Ouyen, Walpeup, Underbool Kiamal, Tiega, Tempy, Gorya, Patchewollock, Torrita, Lascelles
This is what I have found from Paul Daffey’s book stating only 9…..I thought 30 was a stretch hence why I asked you to possibly name them. I see the previous attachment with a list of clubs….so not sure what to believe 🤔

Attachments

• 5F9DF849-8BAD-4B71-B373-93AEC3868AF6.jpeg
    5F9DF849-8BAD-4B71-B373-93AEC3868AF6.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 81
The nine direct clubs to form Ouyen United have originally come from 30 clubs (see Attachment 1).

I assure you I am not pulling your chain.

As Daffey has written himself, the 30 clubs listed are the foundation clubs of Ouyen United - they are all part of the club's family tree.

The colours of the nine totems are shown below:

iENWsJMpYx5wfr0S8zD9.jpg

Last edited:
The nine direct clubs to form Ouyen United have originally come from 30 clubs (see Attachment 1).

As Daffey has written himself, the 30 clubs listed are the foundation clubs of Ouyen United - they are all part of the club's family tree.
All good buddy appreciate the information….funny how many teams were once in the Mallee region, yet now only have a couple left. Back in his day every man and his dog played footy sadly no longer the case.

The colours of the nine totems are shown below:

iENWsJMpYx5wfr0S8zD9.jpg
Which itself is outdated due to the merger with Walpeup/Underbool which know sees them where the Kangas colours

Can definitely understand Ouyen feeling like they lay claim to all those contributing clubs, but do we know for sure that places such as Pirro or Yellumjip officially combined or were absorbed by any other team, as opposed to simply disbanding, and their remaining players going to other clubs in the list?

Ouyen United is defoes the biggest of the webs of clubs in my collection tho. Glen Eira that someone mentioned is also an absolute belter!

I agree. The merger occurred in 2016 (between the sign being made and Daffey's book being written).

I can't find a list of the clubs featured on the nine poles anywhere on the internet and only four are photographed in the book (Tempy, Gorya, TG-P and Tiega).
The leagues up there used to be the Tyrell League (as in Lake Tyrell ie. Sea Lake) which I think became the Northern Mallee League & the Southern Mallee league, then they combined to form the Mallee League

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Afternoon all

Just trying to get to the bottom of the disappearance/merger of the famous old Richmond Rosellas back around 94/95?

Was speaking to a Spanish bloke recently who told me his version of events 35 pots deep down St kilda.

Questions still remain til this day that have not been answer and some answers may have been taken to the grave by old Mr McDonald!

Burning questions I’d like answers too are.

1. Why did phillip Bayliss get sacked?

2. how was Yamen appointed, how did
he get the gig?

3.Why did Yamen only last 3 weeks as coach. Did Mr McDonald have anything to do with his sacking him in the end?

If anyone out there can get me any information on this beautiful old club I would love to hear back from you.

Regards Reggie Rumour.

Afternoon all

Just trying to get to the bottom of the disappearance/merger of the famous old Richmond Rosellas back around 94/95?

Was speaking to a Spanish bloke recently who told me his version of events 35 pots deep down St kilda.

Questions still remain til this day that have not been answer and some answers may have been taken to the grave by old Mr McDonald!

Burning questions I’d like answers too are.

1. Why did phillip Bayliss get sacked?

2. how was Yamen appointed, how did
he get the gig?

3.Why did Yamen only last 3 weeks as coach. Did Mr McDonald have anything to do with his sacking him in the end?

If anyone out there can get me any information on this beautiful old club I would love to hear back from you.

Regards Reggie Rumour.
A bit before my time, as I thought the Richmond Rosellas were the same Richmond Centrals club that currently play in the VAFA and changed their name when they moved there…..but obviously not! The coaches you mentioned Bayliss and Yaman had a bit to do at St Kilda City from memory as well. Bayliss coaching a flag there in 2001

For the wrong reasons there will be a few sides added to this list from the off season and some who might not even make the R1 starting line up for 2023

For the wrong reasons there will be a few sides added to this list from the off season and some who might not even make the R1 starting line up for 2023
Will some of these sides ever come back? Surely Corowa would be the most likely. I’ve heard there is at least 5 non starters from last year.

Will some of these sides ever come back? Surely Corowa would be the most likely. I’ve heard there is at least 5 non starters from last year.
Corowa Rutherglen seniors are in recess - think the juniors and Netball will go on with the hope of a return in 2024 when their Clubrooms are back up and running.

but here’s the thing

Covid has unfortunately changed people’s behaviour and particularly in a volunteering way. Older folks are more conscious of their health and as the virus is still around - the need to mingle amongst a wide range of people from wherever is less appealing than it once was.

Add in peoples reluctance to travel (let’s face it a huge number of country clubs rely on players travelling from well outside their community along with increased fuel costs and it’s the perfect storm for the demise of many country clubs ala Quambatook

The AFL and AFL Vic have no levers to pull in this area - it is what it is

Lameroo and Pinnaroo's geography leaves them with a lot of travel which could become problematic.
Where do they go? River Murray FL? Murray Valley FNL (ex-Riverland Inependents)? Kowree-Naracoorte-Tatiara FL? There was even a suggestion of the Mid South East FL (Tantanoola-Lameroo is 3.5 hours one way, a fun proposition for the parents of the junior teams).

A sign of the times for the smaller towns into the future, especially in Victoria. I am sure than 15 years from now, you will see the smaller leagues now become a club, e.g. a Golden Rivers FC in the Central Murray league, a Millewa District FC in the Sunraysia league and an Upper Murray FC in the Tallangatta league.
In the end Lameroo & Pinnaroo merged to become the Southern Mallee Suns (and currently sit top of the RMFL ladder). Karoonda & Peake merged to become the Mallee District Storm and as mentioned previously on this thread, Border Downs Tintinara merged with Meningie to form the Coorong Cats. All playing in the now 9 team River Murray Football League.

Murrayville rebranded to the Blues from the Bulldogs and joined the newly formed Murray Valley Football Netball League, which was the old Riverland Independent League. Currently no junior teams, but apparently there are plans to have junior teams in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back