Single Entity Teams That Have Disappeared In The Last 25 Years.

The Toecutter

All Australian
Feb 25, 2007
wodonga
AFL Club
Essendon
Border-North East has had a number fold/go into recess in the last 20 years.

Corowa/Rutherglen (O and M)
Federal (Upper Murray)
Border/Walwa (UM)
Glenrowan (O and K)
Devenish (Benalla and District)
Tatong (BDFL)
Swampool (BDFL)

With Wahgunyah on the brink of collapse. A ray of hope for the Upper Murray would be if Baranduda established a club (facilities being constructed now) joined alongside Wodonga Saints and Murray Magpies. None of these clubs have under 17’s and all 3 have a good population to draw numbers from. Very left field but has possibilities.

Old Kenny

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2007
up there
AFL Club
Sydney
It’s an option but it still does nothing for junior footy in the upper Murray. While families have to travel for anything that resembles a “real” game of football for anything over under 12 footy I can’t see it working. Also I don’t think it would be too long and you would see the Albury/wodonga teams completely dominating the comp.

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
Border-North East has had a number fold/go into recess in the last 20 years.

Corowa/Rutherglen (O and M)
Federal (Upper Murray)
Border/Walwa (UM)

Glenrowan (O and K)
Devenish (Benalla and District)
Tatong (BDFL)
Swampool (BDFL)

You can add the rest of the UMFNL clubs to this list in the next year or two. Bullioh is the only one trying to create a future for itself with its sounding out of some other TDFL clubs for chances of admission in 2024.

Last edited:

GranyaGoat

Draftee
May 22, 2023
AFL Club
Melbourne
You can add the rest of the UMFNL clubs to this list in the next year or two. Bullioh is the only one trying to create a future for itself with its sounding out of some other TDFL clubs for chances of admission in 2024.
No chance Bullioh will be admitted to TDFL. Majority of clubs are still against this. Especially Mitta Tallangatta and the Western clubs in the league.
Bullioh is all coconut and all lamington.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
I've recently read that CKS Swifts, based in Stawell, and Navarre from the Maryborough Castlemaine league are investgating a merger. Which is sad but I guess is the state of play in a post covid world for rural teams.

Anyone in a non metro area, I would urge you to find your local club and go along for a game. Clubs that have meant a lot to their communities over the years could be gone forever, and the AFL don't really seem to give a toss.

Wild Thing

Team Captain
Jan 27, 2022
AFL Club
Essendon
I've recently read that CKS Swifts, based in Stawell, and Navarre from the Maryborough Castlemaine league are investgating a merger. Which is sad but I guess is the state of play in a post covid world for rural teams.

Anyone in a non metro area, I would urge you to find your local club and go along for a game. Clubs that have meant a lot to their communities over the years could be gone forever, and the AFL don't really seem to give a toss.
What does CKS stand for before Swifts? I’m assuming the S is Stawell but what are the others?

It used to be Stawell Swifts but I'm not sure if they went straight to CKS Swifts or were just Swifts for a period of time.
I think Swifts and Warriors spent yonks not really attaching Stawell to the name (despite being for sure Stawell clubs) back in the SWFL days and a bit of ADFA. Warriors merged with the major league WFL's Stawell Redlegs which is where the current Stawell Warriors comes from. Swifts remained as is and I honestly never really thought about whether they were technically Stawell Swifts or solely Swifts.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back