Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Club Legend
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It looks like they are having games at Suncorp with some games at Redcliffe. I wonder if Redcliffe will continue in the QLD cup?
That’s going to be interesting. They will need somewhere to place their players not playing First Grade on any given week.
I have the answer. The Redcliffe bid team confirmed earlier in the week that they will continue to compete in the QRL as the Redcliffe Dolphins and their QRL team (presumably their reserves) will continue to wear their traditional red and white strip. However, the Dolphins' NRL team will drop 'Redcliffe' from their name to become something along the lines of 'North Brisbane' and will also ditch the red and white for new colours due to clashes with existing NRL teams like St George. It's a very similar set up to Port Adelaide where their SANFL/reserves team continues to wear their traditional prison bar strip and are the Magpies where as their AFL team wears the black, white and teal and are the Power.

Expect Wayne Bennett to be announced as the inaugural coach of the Dolphins soon. They are also targeting some of the biggest players in the game like Munster and Ponga so this is a serious competitor that is going to give every other professional sporting team in Queensland a run for its money. The NRL confirmed this morning that part of the conditions laid out for the Dolphins to enter the NRL was a commitment to invest $2 million per year into participation and development pathways in their region. This is going to seriously shake things up in the Queensland turf war.

I just hope the AFL is ready to combat this by providing more support to us and the Lions.

The Victorian

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I have the answer. The Redcliffe bid team confirmed earlier in the week that they will continue to compete in the QRL as the Redcliffe Dolphins and their QRL team (presumably their reserves) will continue to wear their traditional red and white strip. However, the Dolphins' NRL team will drop 'Redcliffe' from their name to become something along the lines of 'North Brisbane' and will also ditch the red and white for new colours due to clashes with existing NRL teams like St George. It's a very similar set up to Port Adelaide where their SANFL/reserves team continues to wear their traditional prison bar strip and are the Magpies where as their AFL team wears the black, white and teal and are the Power.

Expect Wayne Bennett to be announced as the inaugural coach of the Dolphins soon. They are also targeting some of the biggest players in the game like Munster and Ponga so this is a serious competitor that is going to give every other professional sporting team in Queensland a run for its money. The NRL confirmed this morning that part of the conditions laid out for the Dolphins to enter the NRL was a commitment to invest $2 million per year into participation and development pathways in their region. This is going to seriously shake things up in the Queensland turf war.

I just hope the AFL is ready to combat this by providing more support to us and the Lions.
They just said at the press conference they would play 7 blockbusters at Suncorp Stadium, up to 4 games at Redcliffe (plans include a redevelopment, press facilities, moving the club to the corner to allow more seating/grandstand) and some games at Sunshine Coast Stadium as well.

Name will be the Dolphins although no decision what will be before that. Colours will be red and white with an additional colour. So could be similar to Port. They added silver and teal to the Magpies black and white. The plan on announcing their brand next week.

Last edited:

Mr Bods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They just said at the press conference they would play 7 blockbusters at Suncorp Stadium, up to 4 games at Redcliffe (plans include a redevelopment, press facilities, moving the club to the corner to allow more seating/grandstand) and some games at Sunshine Coast Stadium as well.

Name will be the Dolphins although no decision what will be before that. Colours will be red and white with an additional colour. So could be similar to Port. They added silver and teal to the Magpies black and white. The plan on announcing their brand next week.
Not sure if what to make of this “The Dolphins” thing.

GC2015

Club Legend
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I just heard they are seriously considering the name 'Sunshine State Dolphins' so their name doesn't serve as a reason to ostracise supporters in the areas that don't appear in the name. Similar to the North Queensland Cowboys who could easily be the Townsville Cowboys but were smart enough to realise that their reach will be far greater by naming themselves North Queensland. There are successful overseas examples of this too with the Golden State Warriors representing two very different neighbouring cities in San Francisco and Oakland.

We always knew Suncorp Stadium would be used more than any other ground for economic reasons but four games in Redcliffe surprises me. I assume the Sunshine Coast will get one game each year as well. Suncorp will definitely be their finals venue when the time comes for them to host a final. It's not a bad model and reminds me of GWS's relationship with Canberra where they play three home games each year and the majority of their 30k membership base happens to come from Canberra.

Mr Bods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad