Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

4734473c-302c-4f6f-a0cb-e39edd736af4_text.gif

And...? we still won. Best play ever in the last minute of the game.
Best play ever in the last minute of a game is a huge call! I can think of lots of example of better plays in the last minute of a game from all kinds of sports (Ray Allen hitting a game tying three pointer with five seconds to go in game 6 when Miami were down 3-2 and they go on to win the Championship is one example) but if we're just talking about the NRL then I don't know how you could possibly go past the 2015 NRL Grand Final when the Cowboys were trailing the Broncos 16-12 and literally got the possession back with 64 seconds to go, they manage to score a game equalising try in the corner AFTER the siren, Thurston then hits the upright on the conversion attempt which forces extra time, then Hunt drops the kick off to give the ball back to the Cowboys and Thurston kicks the field goal to win North Queensland's first ever NRL Premiership!

A win is a win, though. If we beat GWS by a single point tomorrow then I'll be happy.

North Melbourne only managed 14,204 at Marvel
And North had 46k members last year which was a club record! What does that say about a membership base of 46k if they can only attract a crowd of 14k to a home game? You couldn't even argue that morale was low due to a long year or losing or that they played really poorly the week before. If you remove the away/neutral fans, about a quarter of North Melbourne's membership base showed up to their home game last week...

And if you remove the away/neutral fans from our home game against the premiers last round...what was our %.....:think:

people in glass houses and all that....
Fair enough. I'm pretty sure more than 2k (25%) were Gold Coast supporters at the Demons game but I take your point. I just thought it was interesting that more than 30k North supporters were willing to pay for membership, but not willing to attend their first home game of the season.

If anyone is curious, the Titans pulled a crowd of 8,774 to their Thursday night home game against the Wests Tigers.

14,349 in attendance for our game at Metricon today. I believe that's the biggest crowd for either Gold Coast team in 2022 so far.

Strangely enough, both Gold Coast teams are currently in 9th place on their respective ladders.

Biggest Metricon crowd since 2019 and the biggest crowd against the Blues since 2013. A good result!

Not sure if anyone on here is aware but the Titans fell to the bottom of the NRL ladder yesterday. They made the finals last year so this is a pretty dramatic drop off from them and their decline just so happens to coincide our push up the ladder. We have a big opportunity right now to win over the Gold Coast public if we can keep winning games and keep pushing towards becoming a regular finals participant. I'm sure everyone at the Suns and the AFL is well aware of this but we as fans are also apart of the community shift towards Aussie rules. We're currently experiencing a massive population boom and there are thousands of new people moving to the Gold Coast who probably know very little of our past struggles and we all know nothing brings in fans like winning. The market is there for the taking if we're good enough!

That'd be cool. Do you think there'd be a chance of a Suns ownership of an NBL team? Similar to GWS and Collingwood in the netball?

They'd already play right nextdoor to Metricon, and it'd give the Suns year-round media coverage, and could make Carrara a real Suns district. And the colour scheme isn't taken yet.

That'd be cool. Do you think there'd be a chance of a Suns ownership of an NBL team? Similar to GWS and Collingwood in the netball?

They'd already play right nextdoor to Metricon, and it'd give the Suns year-round media coverage, and could make Carrara a real Suns district. And the colour scheme isn't taken yet.
In the 90s, Townsville's team was called the Suns. They got threatened with a lawsuit by the NBA's Phoenix Suns, so they changed their name to the Crocodiles. Not sure if the Phoenix Suns would again attempt to enforce their IP.

In the 90s, Townsville's team was called the Suns. They got threatened with a lawsuit by the NBA's Phoenix Suns, so they changed their name to the Crocodiles. Not sure if the Phoenix Suns would again attempt to enforce their IP.

Interesting. I had seen that Townsville had that name but didn't realise why they'd change it.

I wonder if Pheonix has since calmed down, the AFL negotiated for the GC name, or whether it was okay in a different sport.

The only other (semi-)pro "Suns" I could find were the Tshwane Suns, who do play basketball, but I guess South African basketball isn't a threat to Phoenix (not that Townsville would've been either).

How good! GC Rollers win the NBL1 North this season. For anyone that's not aware, the NBL1 North includes 16 of the best semi-professional basketball teams from Queensland and the Northern Territory. This feels like the perfect launchpad for our city to make a legitimate case to re-enter the NBL in 2024 and have our own professional basketball team once again. Local basketball is a lot stronger these days than it was back in 2007-2012 when the Blaze were competing in the NBL and, importantly, we have a much more suitable venue (with much lower rent costs) as well as first class training facilities in Carrara as opposed to the money pit that was the Convention Centre in Broadbeach. Back when the Blaze were plying their trade we really only had one school that played basketball at a high level and that was TSS but these days we see schools like Varsity College, Hillcrest and King's qualifying for the 2022 state quarterfinals and Hillcrest in particular lost by just 3 points to eventual state champions Villanova. It's a very different city now to the one we knew back when the Blaze were established in 2007 and I'm very confident that a professional basketball team on the Gold Coast would be able to avoid the pitfalls that GC teams of the past fell into. Side note - Brisbane Bullets captain Jason Cadee currently leads the Rollers but a cool anecdote is that Cadee actually played for the Blaze back in 2010-12. Could he be the first to play for both the Blaze and Rollers at the professional level?

#BringBackTheRollers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how many people saw this but it looks like we're a very good chance to receive an NBL licence for the 2024/2025 season. Tom Tate and a consortium led by Billy Cross have been conducting secret meetings with the NBL majority owner Larry Kestelman to pitch the idea of relaunching a franchise on the GC and it looks like we're the frontrunners with Canberra to be granted one of the two upcoming expansion licences. They estimate it costs between $8-10 million a year to run an NBL team these days and although the Blaze fell victim to the high rent costs at the Convention Centre 10 years ago, this new team will most likely play home games at the GCSLC in Carrara (next to Heritage) where the rent will be considerably more affordable. I would think the team would also set up their training and admin facilities inside the building alongside us so it will all be under the one roof for them. Fingers crossed it gets up!

8Wr4UCE.jpg

Not sure how many people saw this but it looks like we're a very good chance to receive an NBL licence for the 2024/2025 season. Tom Tate and a consortium led by Billy Cross have been conducting secret meetings with the NBL majority owner Larry Kestelman to pitch the idea of relaunching a franchise on the GC and it looks like we're the frontrunners with Canberra to be granted one of the two upcoming expansion licences. They estimate it costs between $8-10 million a year to run an NBL team these days and although the Blaze fell victim to the high rent costs at the Convention Centre 10 years ago, this new team will most likely play home games at the GCSLC in Carrara (next to Heritage) where the rent will be considerably more affordable. I would think the team would also set up their training and admin facilities inside the building alongside us so it will all be under the one roof for them. Fingers crossed it gets up!

8Wr4UCE.jpg
Can only help spur more action for better public transport access.

3rd times a charm
What makes the bid even better is they are going to use the branding from the Flint Tropics from the comedy movie Semi-pro. Hopefully this means we'll have our very own Jackie Moon to cheer on! So who is on board to support the Gold Coast Tropics in the NBL? I get the feeling Big Red Machine is the type of guy that would be ultra excited about this...

CW4KrLd.jpg

Here is an interview with one of the backers confirming the Tropics branding:

What makes the bid even better is they are going to use the branding from the Flint Tropics from the comedy movie Semi-pro. Hopefully this means we'll have our very own Jackie Moon to cheer on! So who is on board to support the Gold Coast Tropics in the NBL? I get the feeling Big Red Machine is the type of guy that would be ultra excited about this...

CW4KrLd.jpg

Here is an interview with one of the backers confirming the Tropics branding:

Not as much as SUNS

Do the Roar still supposely owe the Suns a few 100k?
Good question. Logan City Council attempted sue the Roar for $150k worth of unpaid utility bills back in 2020 so they've got form. Now they've moved onto the Moreton Bay Council. Seems like they Roar are just skimming anyone who allows it and then leaving town when s**t hits the fan. Hopefully the new GC A-League team doesn't operate in a similar way.

Decent start to the home crowds at Heritage this year:

R1 Swans - 13,648
R3 Cats - 13,122

The Titans have only hosted one home game at CBUS so far this year but it was a pretty similar result with 14,483 showing up for their clash with Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back