Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Crowd figures for Gold Coast Titans and Gold Coast Suns in 2011:

Round 1 Titans v Dragons (Sat, 12 March, 6.30pm)
Skilled Park: 21,709

Round 3 Titans v Broncos(Fri, 25 March, 7.35pm)
Skilled Park: 20,226

Round 2 Suns v Blues (Sat, 2 April, 6.40pm)
Gabba: 27,914

Same Weekend
Round 6 Titans v Tigers (Fri, 15 April, 7.35pm)
Skilled Park: 17,221
Round 4 Suns v Demons (Sun, 17 April, 2.10pm)
Gabba: 12,111

Round 8 Titans v Roosters (Sat, 30 April, 5.30pm)
Skilled Park: 15,177

Same Weekend
Round 7 Suns v Lions (Sat, 7 May, 7.10pm)
Gabba: 25,501
Round 9 Titans v Warriors (Sun, 8 May, 2.00pm)
Skilled Park: 17,285

Round 10 Titans v Sea Eagles (Mon, 16 May, 7.00pm)
Skilled Park: 12,360

Round 10 Suns v Cats (Sat, 28 May, 7.20pm)
Metricon Stadium: 21,485

Round 13 Titans v Panthers (Sat, 4 June, 5.30pm)
Skilled Park: 12,262

Round 12 Suns v Kangaroos (Sat, 11 June, 7.10pm)
Metricon Stadium: 14,945

Head to Head
Round 14 Suns v Bulldogs (Sat, 25 June, 2.10pm)
Metricon Stadium: 16,149
Round 15 Titans v Sharks (Sat, 25 June, 5.30pm)
Skilled park: 12,997

Round 16 Suns v Swans (Sat, 9 July, 7.10 pm)
Metricon Stadium: 16,488

Head to Head
Round 20 Titans v Cowboys (Sat, 23 July, 5.30pm)
Skilled Park: 15,741
Round 18 Suns v Magpies (Sat, 23 July, 7.10pm)
Metricon Stadium: 23,302

Round 19 Suns v Saints (Sat, 30 July, 7.10pm)
Metricon Stadium: 17,482

Round 23 Titans v Storm (Sat, 13 August, 7.30pm)
Skilled Park: 11,663

Head to Head
Round 22 Suns v Crows (Sat, 20 August, 2.10pm)
Metricon Stadium: 16,168
Round 24 Titans v Raiders (Sat, 20 August, 5.30pm)
Skilled Park: 10,230

Head to Head
Round 24 Suns v Hawks (Sat, 3 September, 2.10pm)
Metricon Stadium: 19,314
Round 26 Titans v Eels (Sat, 3 September, 7.30pm)
Skilled Park: 18,265

Highest Attendance: Suns v Blues - 27,914 (Brisbane) Suns v Magpies 23,302 (Gold Coast)
Lowest Attendance: Titans v Raiders - 10,230
2011 Head to Head Weekends: 4-0 Suns
2011 Same Weekends: 1-1
2011 Suns Crowd Average: 19,169 (210,859 in 11 games)
2011 Titans Crowd Average: 15,428 (185,136 in 12 games)

2012 Crowd Figures
2013 Crowd Figures
2014 Crowd Figures

2015 Crowd Figures
2016 Crowd Figures
2017 Crowd Figures
2018 Crowd Figures
2019 Crowd Figures

Overall statistics (2011-2014)
2011-2014 Highest Attendance: Suns v Magpies 23,302 (2011)
2011-2014 Lowest Attendance: Titans v Cowboys - 9482 (2014)
2011-2014 Amount Of Years With Higher Attendance: 2-1 Titans
2011-2014 Head to Head Weekends: 5-2 Suns
2011-2014 Same Weekends: 6-3 Titans
2011-2014 Suns Crowd Average: 15,769 (567,686 in 36 games)
2011-2014 Titans Crowd Average: 14,745 (560,335 in 38 games)
(last updated 12.04.14)

Last edited:

safman

Senior List
Aug 15, 2009
labardorr
AFL Club
Gold Coast
figures dont really matter for Vs titans anymore (tempering)

only that the suns can keep improving crowd figures
a strong showing of interstate supporters at most games this year show the support for the AFL overall on the coast

in addition it draws interstate supporters who come up for a 3 day weekend to the coast to watch their team play

this is not something that the NRL cant do week in week out, most NRL supporters around the coast and South east Queensland in general barrack for the broncos or titans

so when the titans play s**t and the fans turn away they can only count on broncos fans by and large to boost crowd figures (and how many of them will turn up if the broncos arent playing?)

however as seen with geelong, Pies, Saints, and Crows theres strong backing for those teams around the area as such they will attend those games in droves. which leaves 4 game to 1 to boost crowds

whats far more interesting is that the broncos v titans drew less then lions v suns and show's the support for aussie rules in Qld isnt as shallow as some think

McCavity

All Australian
May 22, 2008
Pakenham, VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Gembrook-Cockatoo,Central Districts
figures dont really matter for Vs titans anymore (tempering)
whats far more interesting is that the broncos v titans drew less then lions v suns and show's the support for aussie rules in Qld isnt as shallow as some think

I reckon the support for Aussie Rules in Qld - particulary in SE Qld - would be stronger on a population per capita basis, than in Sydney. There are a significant number of expat Vics, Croweaters, Taswegians and Sangropers that live in that region.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I reckon the support for Aussie Rules in Qld - particulary in SE Qld - would be stronger on a population per capita basis, than in Sydney. There are a significant number of expat Vics, Croweaters, Taswegians and Sangropers that live in that region.

No offence McCavity as you are not far from the truth but I am tired of people that don't live here who seem to have expert opinions on our love of AFL or NRL. I don't know how many times this year I have had to listen to some lounge chair expert on Qld AFL that lives in Victoria.

We have had our own league up here for 100 years the club has been set up to be a success and I can't wait to start flogging teams from the self imposed football Mecca that is Victoria.

WrongUn

White Line Fever
Apr 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Yet the first 3+ pages of the Gold Coast Bulletin sports section is always rugby??? ...we are lucky to get 1 or 2 editions of a weeks worth of bulletins with AFL on the back cover. I have lived here all my life aswell and I still say we are a rugby state before Aussie Rules... AFL is certainly catching up and the Suns will speed up this process, but not there yet.

HereIam86

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
La lakers Brisbane Heat
If Gold Coast get the Commonwealth games Metricon stadium will be going from 25k capacity to 40k capacity . And when that happens I reckon the Titants will be requesting their stadium goes up in Capacity to.

Yet the first 3+ pages of the Gold Coast Bulletin sports section is always rugby??? ...we are lucky to get 1 or 2 editions of a weeks worth of bulletins with AFL on the back cover. I have lived here all my life aswell and I still say we are a rugby state before Aussie Rules... AFL is certainly catching up and the Suns will speed up this process, but not there yet.

Don't gauge popularity on the newspapers, the Courier Mail is a sponsor of the Broncos. NRL fans and the media either hate to admit it or are oblivious, but AFL is scarily close to taking over. Of course there is nothing the AFL can serve up that will overshadow State of Origin for Queenslander's, but mind you the same goes for the NRL. SoO is keeping the code alive.

At a junior level I can't say I would even know a Rugby League club in Brisbane. I could rattle off heaps of Union ones, and countless Aussie Rules. The NRL have taken the south-east QLD region for granted, and I think it won't be long until AFL's #1.

WrongUn

White Line Fever
Apr 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Don't gauge popularity on the newspapers, the Courier Mail is a sponsor of the Broncos. NRL fans and the media either hate to admit it or are oblivious, but AFL is scarily close to taking over. Of course there is nothing the AFL can serve up that will overshadow State of Origin for Queenslander's, but mind you the same goes for the NRL. SoO is keeping the code alive.

At a junior level I can't say I would even know a Rugby League club in Brisbane. I could rattle off heaps of Union ones, and countless Aussie Rules. The NRL have taken the south-east QLD region for granted, and I think it won't be long until AFL's #1.

The Bulletin is a sponsor of the Suns and we still can't break a regular back page gig. Our local Gold Coast media has a great influence with the Suns and AFL in general breaking into the local sports market and unfortunately the Titans still hold the major slice of the media pie. And until the Bulletin thinks it can sell more papers with AFL on the back page, they will keep putting the Rugby there, which is still number 1 on the Gold/Tweed coast in my opinion.

magic_johnson!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
London
AFL Club
Geelong
If Gold Coast get the Commonwealth games Metricon stadium will be going from 25k capacity to 40k capacity . And when that happens I reckon the Titants will be requesting their stadium goes up in Capacity to.
Skilled Park's capacity can't be increased, it's why Carrara was in the world cup bid even as an oval...

Not that they'd need the extra capacity, averaging crowds under half their stadium capacity.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You have to remember News Limited owns half of the NRL so it would be in the employees best interests to advertise the game their bosses own rather than a rival code. Although you guys are dead wrong, I look on the Gold Coast Bulletin and every now and again the Suns get the back page. I have lived on the Gold Coast for 12 years now and any real Gold Coaster would know at this very moment in time NRL is still number 1 but the AFL is catching up big time.

McCavity is right, there are a lot of ex-Victorians here along with smaller numbers from Tassie, SA and WA. It used to be that most of the people who moved to the Gold Coast were from NSW but the frequency is no where near as much as it used to be. I remember attended the first Suns game and on the train ride up most people who were supporting the Suns and were wearing Suns merchandise were Victorians who had adopted the Suns as their team even though they supported another current AFL team.

Skilled Park would have to be half demolished to be upgraded and the QLD Government have no reason to do it. Metricon was built to be upgraded. If anyone here has any kids in primary school on the Gold Coast you will know just how much more exposure the AFL gets than the NRL through programs like AusKick. This IMO will be the main reason Aussie Rules takes over here. I also feel the Gold Coast public are easily swayed where as Brisbane are very protective about their Broncos and will be a harder market to crack without success which is what we have seen in the last few years from the Lions.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
No offence McCavity as you are not far from the truth but I am tired of people that don't live here who seem to have expert opinions on our love of AFL or NRL. I don't know how many times this year I have had to listen to some lounge chair expert on Qld AFL that lives in Victoria.

We have had our own league up here for 100 years the club has been set up to be a success and I can't wait to start flogging teams from the self imposed football Mecca that is Victoria.

A guy trying to make a positive impact upon your board and you go off.....?

I can understand but geez everyone can have an opinion right or wrong, including yourself,

Also Victoria IS and always WILL be the Mecca of Football the comp has 10 Victorian teams

WrongUn

White Line Fever
Apr 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
A guy trying to make a positive impact upon your board and you go off.....?

I can understand but geez everyone can have an opinion right or wrong, including yourself,

Also Victoria IS and always WILL be the Mecca of Football the comp has 10 Victorian teams

Yep Victoria will always be the cultural and historical home of Aussie rules, after all our great comp was the VFL.

Doubt that, they can't fill it at it's current size. Larger the capacity the more expensive it is to run.

Billy Pilgrim

Debutant
Apr 24, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
H2H Round 26 Titans v Eels & Round 24 Suns v Hawks
Skilled Park: ????
Metricon: ????

They have gone H2H (head to head) three times so far with the Suns having a bigger crowd each time. They will go head to head one more time in two weeks time from now, can the Titans get one back? I don't think so seeing as Hawthorn are a fairly popular team that are doing well this year.

For the record, tickets for the Titans/Eels game are being sold 2 for 1 (Titanium and Gold classes) and each member is being given 2 extra tickets completely free. So this will alter the size of the crowd at Skilled Park this week.

couchy555

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2008
mount gambier
AFL Club
Geelong
I made the trip up for the Cats vs Suns game earlier this year and i loved it (the win was great of course) and i can absolutely see Melborune footy fans making this a yearly getaway to watch their team up on the Gold Coast so you should get some decent size crowds for awhile.

Plus when your team is a little more experienced and your winning more games then losing, having the local interest in your club growing as well...

I wasnt sure about a Gold Coast AFL club but now im right on board and id have to say your my second favourite team (yes your allowed to have second favourites).

You should feel very proud and optimistic of your AFL team. Well done

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well the final round figures are in. AFL wins 4-0 in the head to heads this year.

Round 24 Suns v Hawks

Round 26 Titans v Eels

Now that is a massive crowd for both clubs in respect of everything associated with the two, Titans more so than the Suns. I know for a fact during the week the Titans went around to basically every school on the Gold Coast giving out 100+ free tickets to students so that could explain the crowd figure.

Unfortunately that is not a realistic way to continually put bums on seats for the Titans so they will continue to struggle pulling a crowd without on field success. Just on a personal note I was at the Hawks game yesterday and there were lots of Victorians up for the game and the crowd was getting right into it. The Gold Coast AFL fans have now learned to 'boo' and 'aww' and 'ball' when there is something happening so that is a really good sign.

I wasn't sold on Harley Bennell until yesterday, he was amazing and is the type of player who can completely turn a game on it's head and win a match for you and almost did single handedly yesterday. The Suns have to hang on to him as long as they possibly can.

Stewies Power

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aus Cricket Team & F1 Ricciardo
Well the final round figures are in. AFL wins 4-0 in the head to heads this year.

Round 24 Suns v Hawks

Round 26 Titans v Eels

Now that is a massive crowd for both clubs in respect of everything associated with the two, Titans more so than the Suns. I know for a fact during the week the Titans went around to basically every school on the Gold Coast giving out 100+ free tickets to students so that could explain the crowd figure.

Unfortunately that is not a realistic way to continually put bums on seats for the Titans so they will continue to struggle pulling a crowd without on field success. Just on a personal note I was at the Hawks game yesterday and there were lots of Victorians up for the game and the crowd was getting right into it. The Gold Coast AFL fans have now learned to 'boo' and 'aww' and 'ball' when there is something happening so that is a really good sign.

I wasn't sold on Harley Bennell until yesterday, he was amazing and is the type of player who can completely turn a game on it's head and win a match for you and almost did single handedly yesterday. The Suns have to hang on to him as long as they possibly can.

HA! Titans got owned every week that they clashed with the Suns.

CoastBhoy

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa

Round 24 Suns v Hawks

Round 26 Titans v Eels

I went to both games , Titans were giving 2 for 1` deals in that last game , so really good effort from the sunnies.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well the 2012 NRL draw has been released and it would seem as if the NRL did not listen to the Titans request to not go head-to-head with the Suns. The NRL have not released which day each game will be played on over weekends but it would seem round 1 for the Suns is going to definitely clash. The following are games that might clash -

Round 1 & Round 5
Suns v Crows
Titans v Bulldogs

Round 6 & Round 9
Suns v Fremantle
Titans v Tigers

Round 12 & Round 15
Suns v Kangaroos
Titans v Panthers

Round 15 & Round 18
Suns v Cats
Titans v Warriors

It looks like round one will be the only game that is actually played on the same day as the Titans look to have a few Sunday games next year. What do we think about this? Will it result in high attendances at Suns games next season?

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Sounds like Titans are close to going bust? anyone have a better idea about that?

would be great for the suns if they did

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sounds like Titans are close to going bust? anyone have a better idea about that?

would be great for the suns if they did

News to me..and no-one I know wants one of our local sporting teams to fail
For a club going bankrupt they've been signing up some major talent over the past couple of weeks..but they've always seemed to be on a financial knife-edge

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Proof Journalists read Bigfooty

I have undeniable proof that Journos read Bigfooty and it happened right here in this forum. I posted this yesterday:

Well the 2012 NRL draw has been released and it would seem as if the NRL did not listen to the Titans request to not go head-to-head with the Suns. The NRL have not released which day each game will be played on over weekends but it would seem round 1 for the Suns is going to definitely clash. The following are games that might clash -

Round 1 & Round 5
Suns v Crows
Titans v Bulldogs

Round 6 & Round 9
Suns v Fremantle
Titans v Tigers

Round 12 & Round 15
Suns v Kangaroos
Titans v Panthers

Round 15 & Round 18
Suns v Cats
Titans v Warriors

It looks like round one will be the only game that is actually played on the same day as the Titans look to have a few Sunday games next year. What do we think about this? Will it result in high attendances at Suns games next season?

Now look what popped up this morning:

Titans, Suns could clash four times
Travis Meyn | November 7th, 2011

THE battle for bums on seats looks set to continue next year with the Titans and Suns facing four potential clashes on the Gold Coast in 2012.

The NRL released next season's draw over the weekend and the Gold Coast's premier teams are set to play at home on the same weekend four times.

Under the current broadcasting deal, the NRL only releases its round schedules six weeks before the round.

The Titans and Suns had clashing matches three times this year with the AFL team winning the crowd figures battle each time.

THE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Four of first six matches at home
- Two byes and matches against Cronulla, Newcastle, Penrith and New Zealand during Origin periods
- Four potential clashes with Gold Coast Suns home matches
- Play the Broncos and Cowboys twice each
- St George Illawarra, Cronulla and Newcastle won't play at Skilled Park
- No away matches against Wests, Parramatta and South Sydney

Titans managing director Michael Searle said the club had asked the NRL to minimise the number of potential clashes.

"There are probably some fans that go to both but the NRL can't build a draw around our games," he said.

"The complexities of the draw are massive.

"I'd prefer, for infrastructure, not to have clashes. It just can't be avoided though.

"We won't know if there are clashes until a few weeks before because of the broadcasters.''

The first potential clash could be a huge weekend for Gold Coast sport with Titans' star signing Jamal Idris set to come up against his former side Canterbury in Round 5. It is also the first round of the AFL, where the Suns will host Adelaide on a Saturday afternoon.

Three of the potential clashes could occur on a Saturday afternoon with the fourth a Sunday, when AFL premiers Geelong and NRL runner-up New Zealand are in town.

Maybe I should become a journalist? haha.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Re: Proof Journalists read Bigfooty

Unlike inside info like rumours posted on bigfooty, this is one of the topics that could have been written about without knowledge coming from bigfooty. Although, there's still a possiblity they read the thread, I guess.

Back