Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was saying all week this referee has serious issues with our club and community. Our record under him is abysmal. The entire Roosters team were offside at that last play of the match and the Sydney Referee Adam Gee doesn't penalise it. Remember the name he’s a cheat.

Rough way to end the season for the Titans. Watching that last minute I was absolutely convinced they were going to score a try and win it. Corey Thompson had every right to be furious because it was the hesitation to pass (and perhaps desire to score and become the hero) from Patrick Herbert that cost the Titans a finals win last night. Such a shame to get that close and make a costly mistake.

The stat that surprised me the most when I found out last night was that the Titans have played six finals in their history and have only won one final to date:

2009 Qualifying Final: 40-32 loss to Brisbane @ Robina Stadium
2009 Semi Final: 27-2 loss to Parramatta @ Sydney Football Stadium

2010 Qualifying Final: 28-16 win over New Zealand @ Robina Stadium

2010 Preliminary Final: 32-6 loss to Sydney @ Suncorp Stadium
2016 Elimination Final: 44-28 loss to Brisbane @ Suncorp Stadium
2021 Elimination Final: 25-24 loss to Sydney @ Townsville Stadium

Reminds me of the Brisbane Lions' recent finals record where they were only able to muster up one win but played plenty of finals in Queensland. Poor finals records can come back to haunt you in the big moments if they continue to grow and perhaps that's what happened to the Titans last night.

Rough way to end the season for the Titans. Watching that last minute I was absolutely convinced they were going to score a try and win it. Corey Thompson had every right to be furious because it was the hesitation to pass (and perhaps desire to score and become the hero) from Patrick Herbert that cost the Titans a finals win last night. Such a shame to get that close and make a costly mistake.

The stat that surprised me the most when I found out last night was that the Titans have played six finals in their history and have only won one final to date:

2009 Qualifying Final: 40-32 loss to Brisbane @ Robina Stadium
2009 Semi Final: 27-2 loss to Parramatta @ Sydney Football Stadium

2010 Qualifying Final: 28-16 win over New Zealand @ Robina Stadium

2010 Preliminary Final: 32-6 loss to Sydney @ Suncorp Stadium
2016 Elimination Final: 44-28 loss to Brisbane @ Suncorp Stadium
2021 Elimination Final: 25-24 loss to Sydney @ Townsville Stadium

Reminds me of the Brisbane Lions' recent finals record where they were only able to muster up one win but played plenty of finals in Queensland. Poor finals records can come back to haunt you in the big moments if they continue to grow and perhaps that's what happened to the Titans last night.

This made me look at the other GC sporting teams in finals too. Across the board it isn't too good at all...

Gold Coast Suns AFLW
2020 Semi Final: 80-10 loss to Fremantle @ Fremantle Oval

Gold Coast United A-League
2009/10 4v5 Semi Final: 0-0 (5-6 penalties) loss to Newcastle @ Robina Stadium
2010/11 4v5 Semi Final: 1-0 win to Melbourne Victory @ Robina Stadium
2010/11 Minor Semi Final: 3-2 win to Adelaide @ Hindmarsh Stadium

2010/11 Preliminary Final: 1-0 loss to Central Coast @ Gosford Stadium

Gold Coast Blaze NBL
2007/08 Elimination Final: 97-89 loss to Townsville @ Townsville Entertainment Centre
2009/10 Semi Final Leg 1: 89-68 loss to Perth @ Perth Superdome
2009/10 Semi Final Leg 2: 82-78 loss to Perth @ Gold Coast Convention Centre

2011/12 Semi Final Leg 1: 85-70 loss to Perth @ Perth Superdome
2011/12 Semi Final Leg 2: 72-70 win to Perth @ Gold Coast Convention Centre
2011/12 Semi Final Leg 3: 88-67 loss to Perth @ Perth Superdome

This made me look at the other GC sporting teams in finals too. Across the board it isn't too good at all...

Gold Coast Suns AFLW
2020 Semi Final: 80-10 loss to Fremantle @ Fremantle Oval

Gold Coast United A-League
2009/10 4v5 Semi Final: 0-0 (5-6 penalties) loss to Newcastle @ Robina Stadium
2010/11 4v5 Semi Final: 1-0 win to Melbourne Victory @ Robina Stadium
2010/11 Minor Semi Final: 3-2 win to Adelaide @ Hindmarsh Stadium

2010/11 Preliminary Final: 1-0 loss to Central Coast @ Gosford Stadium

Gold Coast Blaze NBL
2007/08 Elimination Final: 97-89 loss to Townsville @ Townsville Entertainment Centre
2009/10 Semi Final Leg 1: 89-68 loss to Perth @ Perth Superdome
2009/10 Semi Final Leg 2: 82-78 loss to Perth @ Gold Coast Convention Centre

2011/12 Semi Final Leg 1: 85-70 loss to Perth @ Perth Superdome
2011/12 Semi Final Leg 2: 72-70 win to Perth @ Gold Coast Convention Centre
2011/12 Semi Final Leg 3: 88-67 loss to Perth @ Perth Superdome
Doesn't look great, does it? That's an overall finals record of 4 wins and 13 losses for the professional Gold Coast sports teams in the last 15 years. Interestingly, all three of the male teams listed above were one game shy of a Grand Final appearance at one point - Titans (2010), United (2011) and the Blaze (2012). How different things could be if any one of those teams claimed a national championship... but, alas, here we are in 2021 and we don't look any closer to a national championship in any sport.

This is why some people believe the city is cursed when it comes to professional sport.

What happened with the Titans last saturday sucked but we'll be back stronger for it.

As for what's on next in the GC sports scene - FFA cup game tonight with the Gold Coast Knights taking on Edge Hill United in Cairns. I personally don't follow NPL very strongly (and I suppose if I had to pick a team it would be Gold Coast United in hopes of them being re-elevated to the A-League) but I'll still be watching on tonight cheering on a community club. There will be a stream on 10play.com.au for the game which starts 7:30.

What happened with the Titans last saturday sucked but we'll be back stronger for it.

As for what's on next in the GC sports scene - FFA cup game tonight with the Gold Coast Knights taking on Edge Hill United in Cairns. I personally don't follow NPL very strongly (and I suppose if I had to pick a team it would be Gold Coast United in hopes of them being re-elevated to the A-League) but I'll still be watching on tonight cheering on a community club. There will be a stream on 10play.com.au for the game which starts 7:30.

Good work. Like you I’m with GCU too but good luck to the Knights.

I’m not a big follower of the NRL but don’t they play the winner of NSW Cup v winner of QLD Cup before the GF?

Not this year because of Covid. The NSW Cup has ground to a halt.
The Q Cup GF is in 2 weeks.
There are still 6 clubs in contention for the QCup.

For the record I’m a Tweed man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redcliffe looks nice in winter

Redcliffe are entering in 2023. How does this affect us and/or the Titans?

I know the Titans practically begged the NRL to not let in another team from south east Queensland because they felt they would lose fans but the NRL have gone ahead and done it anyway.

Redcliffe are entering in 2023. How does this affect us and/or the Titans?

I know the Titans practically begged the NRL to not let in another team from south east Queensland because they felt they would lose fans but the NRL have gone ahead and done it anyway.
The NRL should've done what the AFL did and EXPAND INTO NEW AREAS. If it HAD to be a Qld team it should've been the Sunshine Coast or regional Queensland NOT another Brisbane team. Perth, Adelaide, Tasmania and Darwin all don't have teams and would be ideal locations especially WA/SA. It also had a chance to capitalise on the AFL's lack of urgency to get a Tasmanian team in. The purpose of expansion is grow the game and that is what can happen by entering new markets but the NRL are not choosing to do that in this situation which is sad. It is the NRL but it truly doesn't reflect national when there are teams only in 3 states/1 territory.

The NRL should've done what the AFL did and EXPAND INTO NEW AREAS. If it HAD to be a Qld team it should've been the Sunshine Coast or regional Queensland NOT another Brisbane team. Perth, Adelaide, Tasmania and Darwin all don't have teams and would be ideal locations especially WA/SA. It also had a chance to capitalise on the AFL's lack of urgency to get a Tasmanian team in. The purpose of expansion is grow the game and that is what can happen by entering new markets but the NRL are not choosing to do that in this situation which is sad. It is the NRL but it truly doesn't reflect national when there are teams only in 3 states/1 territory.
Just for clarity, this expansion team will be based in Redcliffe which is in a city called Moreton Bay located between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast. It would appear they are intending to engage the entire northern market which includes the Sunshine Coast. I'm sure the majority of their games will be at Suncorp Stadium for economic reasons but I believe they will also play smaller home games on the Sunshine Coast and potentially Redcliffe as well.

I'm not sure how much you know about rugby league's history with expansion but the ARL expanded into Perth in 1995 with the Reds and the club folded just three years later with $10 million debt. The Super League started a team in Adelaide in 1997 and the Rams folded just a year later after News Limited determined that they weren't financial viable. Finances, low crowds and poor on field results really hurt both clubs.

Would it be different now? Perhaps. I don't think it's a coincidence that the NRL took their showpiece game (State of Origin) to Perth and Adelaide in 2019/20 before announcing their next expansion team in Brisbane in 2021. In my mind, they were testing the Perth and Adelaide markets in 2019/20 to see if they could drum up enough interest to justify starting expansion teams there but weren't satisfied with what they found and decided to go with the safe option of Brisbane instead. They are already talking about potentially starting an 18th side in western Brisbane as well so it would appear the NRL is well and truly not interested in Perth, Adelaide or any other city you've listed.

The NRL know we, the AFL and the Lions are making significant inroads in Queensland. That would definitely be a big factor behind this expansion decision. We're also experiencing a big population boom in south east Queensland. There are lots of ways you can justify expanding into Queensland and it may even get to the point soon that the AFL has to start taking the Sunshine Coast seriously as a future expansion city.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back