Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It looks like they are having games at Suncorp with some games at Redcliffe. I wonder if Redcliffe will continue in the QLD cup?
That’s going to be interesting. They will need somewhere to place their players not playing First Grade on any given week.
I have the answer. The Redcliffe bid team confirmed earlier in the week that they will continue to compete in the QRL as the Redcliffe Dolphins and their QRL team (presumably their reserves) will continue to wear their traditional red and white strip. However, the Dolphins' NRL team will drop 'Redcliffe' from their name to become something along the lines of 'North Brisbane' and will also ditch the red and white for new colours due to clashes with existing NRL teams like St George. It's a very similar set up to Port Adelaide where their SANFL/reserves team continues to wear their traditional prison bar strip and are the Magpies where as their AFL team wears the black, white and teal and are the Power.

Expect Wayne Bennett to be announced as the inaugural coach of the Dolphins soon. They are also targeting some of the biggest players in the game like Munster and Ponga so this is a serious competitor that is going to give every other professional sporting team in Queensland a run for its money. The NRL confirmed this morning that part of the conditions laid out for the Dolphins to enter the NRL was a commitment to invest $2 million per year into participation and development pathways in their region. This is going to seriously shake things up in the Queensland turf war.

I just hope the AFL is ready to combat this by providing more support to us and the Lions.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I have the answer. The Redcliffe bid team confirmed earlier in the week that they will continue to compete in the QRL as the Redcliffe Dolphins and their QRL team (presumably their reserves) will continue to wear their traditional red and white strip. However, the Dolphins' NRL team will drop 'Redcliffe' from their name to become something along the lines of 'North Brisbane' and will also ditch the red and white for new colours due to clashes with existing NRL teams like St George. It's a very similar set up to Port Adelaide where their SANFL/reserves team continues to wear their traditional prison bar strip and are the Magpies where as their AFL team wears the black, white and teal and are the Power.

Expect Wayne Bennett to be announced as the inaugural coach of the Dolphins soon. They are also targeting some of the biggest players in the game like Munster and Ponga so this is a serious competitor that is going to give every other professional sporting team in Queensland a run for its money. The NRL confirmed this morning that part of the conditions laid out for the Dolphins to enter the NRL was a commitment to invest $2 million per year into participation and development pathways in their region. This is going to seriously shake things up in the Queensland turf war.

I just hope the AFL is ready to combat this by providing more support to us and the Lions.
They just said at the press conference they would play 7 blockbusters at Suncorp Stadium, up to 4 games at Redcliffe (plans include a redevelopment, press facilities, moving the club to the corner to allow more seating/grandstand) and some games at Sunshine Coast Stadium as well.

Name will be the Dolphins although no decision what will be before that. Colours will be red and white with an additional colour. So could be similar to Port. They added silver and teal to the Magpies black and white. The plan on announcing their brand next week.

Last edited:

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They just said at the press conference they would play 7 blockbusters at Suncorp Stadium, up to 4 games at Redcliffe (plans include a redevelopment, press facilities, moving the club to the corner to allow more seating/grandstand) and some games at Sunshine Coast Stadium as well.

Name will be the Dolphins although no decision what will be before that. Colours will be red and white with an additional colour. So could be similar to Port. They added silver and teal to the Magpies black and white. The plan on announcing their brand next week.

Not sure if what to make of this “The Dolphins” thing.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I just heard they are seriously considering the name 'Sunshine State Dolphins' so their name doesn't serve as a reason to ostracise supporters in the areas that don't appear in the name. Similar to the North Queensland Cowboys who could easily be the Townsville Cowboys but were smart enough to realise that their reach will be far greater by naming themselves North Queensland. There are successful overseas examples of this too with the Golden State Warriors representing two very different neighbouring cities in San Francisco and Oakland.

We always knew Suncorp Stadium would be used more than any other ground for economic reasons but four games in Redcliffe surprises me. I assume the Sunshine Coast will get one game each year as well. Suncorp will definitely be their finals venue when the time comes for them to host a final. It's not a bad model and reminds me of GWS's relationship with Canberra where they play three home games each year and the majority of their 30k membership base happens to come from Canberra.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Suns supporters are desperate for logo and jersey changes and yet over at the Titans they change the logo/jersey regularly.
In terms of the guernsey, NRL clubs change them most years but AFL tradition has been to keep a similar kit each year. Since 2011 these are the changes made for AFL kits. Clash kits do change but no home

AFL
Adelaide- Same kit every year (minor changes such as side panels etc)
Brisbane- 1 change (new lion)
Carlton- 1 change (reverting to traditional logo)
Collingwood- Same kit every year
Essendon- Same kit every year
Fremantle- Same kit every year
Geelong- Same kit every year
Gold Coast- Same kit every year (minor change such as number colour, brightness of colours)
GWS Giants- 1 change
Hawthorn- 1 change (removal of white number panel box)
Melbourne- Same kit every year
North Melbourne- 2 changes (inverse changed to home then pinstripes)
Port Adelaide- 1 change (addition of white number panel)
Richmond- Same kit every year (minor changes such as brightness of yellow)
Sydney- Same kit every year
St Kilda- 1 change (change of cuffs/collar from black to white)
West Coast- 2 changes
Western Bulldogs- 1 change

Looking at the Titans to compare, they have changed theirs 8 times

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure how many people know this but the Gold Coast Knights were supposed to play the Melbourne Victory at their Carrara ground tonight (just up the road from Metricon) for the spot in the FFA Cup quarterfinals but the game was postponed due to COVID concerns. The Knights are coached by former Socceroo Scott McDonald these days and have a few notable players in their squad like another former Socceroo and local junior Mitch Nichols.

Funnily enough, just down the road the Brisbane Roar have been training at our Metricon facilities and their FFA Cup match against Sydney FC was scheduled for tonight as well but has also been delayed.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The word is that Liam Jones has signed for Palm Beach....

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Looks like expansion is potentially back on the cards for the Big Bash League and the Herald Sun is claiming Geelong and the Gold Coast are the favourites if Cricket Australia elects to go down the that route. Apparently Brisbane Heat star Chris Lynn has also indicated that he believes the Gold Coast should be a candidate for expansion. The Big Bash boss has flagged major changes for next season and they are reportedly considering expansion, shortened seasons, shortened games, rule tweaks etc.

We know our club has already been in contact with Cricket Australia about us being given our own BBL licence so here's hoping that plan comes to fruition this off season. I'm sure Cricket Australia will be looking for an increased presence in Queensland with the mass amount of people who have moved here in the last two years (as well as those who are predicted to move here over the next few years) AND the NRL also electing to expand into south east Queensland later this year. It'd be great to have another local professional sports team to support over the summer months and I'd like to see Metricon used more over the Dec-Jan period.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Looks like expansion is potentially back on the cards for the Big Bash League and the Herald Sun is claiming Geelong and the Gold Coast are the favourites if Cricket Australia elects to go down the that route. Apparently Brisbane Heat star Chris Lynn has also indicated that he believes the Gold Coast should be a candidate for expansion. The Big Bash boss has flagged major changes for next season and they are reportedly considering expansion, shortened seasons, shortened games, rule tweaks etc.

We know our club has already been in contact with Cricket Australia about us being given our own BBL licence so here's hoping that plan comes to fruition this off season. I'm sure Cricket Australia will be looking for an increased presence in Queensland with the mass amount of people who have moved here in the last two years (as well as those who are predicted to move here over the next few years) AND the NRL also electing to expand into south east Queensland later this year. It'd be great to have another local professional sports team to support over the summer months and I'd like to see Metricon used more over the Dec-Jan period.
Only trouble is with the AFLW season starting November next season, we will be on the road for quite a few weeks or having to play out at the Sharks

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Only trouble is with the AFLW season starting November next season, we will be on the road for quite a few weeks or having to play out at the Sharks
Don't forget there's currently a push to build a 5k seated stadium on the outside of Metricon to cater for our women's and academy matches. I suspect confirmation of a BBL team on the Gold Coast will kick start that project and the girls will still be able to play home games in Carrara during the December-January period. Southport and Mackay remain options for us but I believe the club will want to continue to play at Carrara for the most part.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Don't forget there's currently a push to build a 5k seated stadium on the outside of Metricon to cater for our women's and academy matches. I suspect confirmation of a BBL team on the Gold Coast will kick start that project and the girls will still be able to play home games in Carrara during the December-January period. Southport and Mackay remain options for us but I believe the club will want to continue to play at Carrara for the most part.

Would that be 5000 seated but with standing room, hill/grass areas? That could almost be perfect for cricket

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would that be 5000 seated but with standing room, hill/grass areas? That could almost be perfect for cricket
Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins/Bulls began playing there once it's built. The Dolphins current ground in Robina doesn't really allow for many spectators so I think they'd be open to moving back to Carrara. I know the Allan Border Field in Brisbane has a capacity of just over 6k so if we build a 5k ground on the outside of Metricon then we could definitely start hosting a lot more cricket matches.

The push for cricket at the Olympics could also factor into the decision. They could play simultaneous games at the 25k Metricon Stadium and this 5k outside stadium depending on demand for tickets and keep all the Olympic cricket matches entirely within the Carrara precinct. It'd would also add to the spectator experience to walk from one game to anotherif you feel like it, just like they do with tennis tournaments.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
A 5k stadium would be perfect for our AFLW team. Imagine the atmosphere of a packed or half packed ground as opposed to 1k in a 25,000 stadium.

Expansion won’t happen until the next broadcast deal 2023/24 so there is time to build our facility. In the Metricon stadium precinct, I’d think that would be the next thing on the to do list following the childcare which is currently under construction. Apart from the article where Cochrane hinted it, we have heard nothing so maybe it was just a vision that hasn’t really taken off?

Back