Singleton sacks Waterhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had a blue at the races today, good vision of it too, apparently Singo said, 'Gai I own the ******* horse among' other things, apparently she ran it injured, unbeknown to Singo. Vision is on the Adelaide now news site.

Interview of Singo by fathead on Racing Review tomorrow @ 9:30am TVN. Will be interesting to see.

The fallout from this is going to be big.

The Waterhouses are a family of crooks in my opinion and this incident is no surprise to me. Tom apparently knew the horse was not fit and it has been alleged he told some people unbeknown to Singo causing his outrage after the race and i would of been the same had i owned it as well.

The whole thing stinks of corruptness and whatta ya know the Waterhouse name is at the center of it!! Massive conflicts of interests with Gai and the whole family. Good move by Singo to rip all his horses out of her stable and i hope the stewards take her to the cleaners.

Racing retro and the weekend wrap up shows are going to be worth watching this morning!!

It is suprising that it has taken this long for the conflict of Gai & Tom to blow up in some way. That said nothing will come of this, aside from Singo moving his horses to another stable.

Tom Waterhouse saying he backed MJ now on TVN live. Funny thing to do when you go around telling everyone else the horse can't win and it has issues. :rolleyes:

The only reason he is saying this is so that when questioned by Stewards etc he has a trump card to play and an out with the stock standard reply " Why would i want to say the horse can't win and it had issues when i backed it also to win as i thought it would " .......

Stewards will not fall the that or you would not think so anyway.

I have now counted 5 times Tom has stated he backed MJ and he has denied the claims by Singo that he told people the horse can't win. :rolleyes:

Tom was also asked when he placed the bets on MJ and he said he put it on when the race before the MJ race finished. Not hard to put 2 & 2 together and see through the reason why he backed it as i am sure he collected more with MJ losing which would of easily covered the losing winning bet he placed.

Singo is not going to pull out 7 high class horses from a trainer in which he has had a 40yr relationship with if the information he was told was anything less than credible and the run that MJ put in confirmed his suspicions about the whole saga.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they write the entire $150k off as a "marketing" expense or by refunding/voiding/nullifying the $150k in BACK BETS do they then dodge paying the relevant turnover tax fee to RNSW?

That's a good move from Sportsbet and well done to them. :thumbsu:

Tom Waterhouse was asked if he going to follow this lead and he dodged the question talking about other bonus bets etc and eventually said no!! No surprise there!! lol

To be honest, Sportsbet's move isn't surprising, and I'm surprised more bookies haven't done it - they aren't doing it for "justice", they're taking a swipe at Tom "I don't know how they... give me a bookie's license" Waterhouse.

So, what will Racing NSW stewards do now?

Do they throw the book at John Singleton, Gai and Tom Waterhouse, or go easy on them and think this is all good PR for racing?

And how would racing authorities in other countries like ie England, or Hong Kong, or Dubai had handled this problem?

Lot of waffle in this thread.

More Joyous had heat in her neck and was given anti-biotics by vet John Peatfield - Who is Singleton's private vet - That's right Singleton's private vet. Peatfield along with Leanne Begg who is Waterhouse's vet, passed More Joyous fit to run. No conspiracy there ! Of course there are occasions when horses are passed fit to run, and dont perform up to expectations.

And if Singleton had heard any scuttlebut, isn't it incumbent on him to contact Waterhouse or his vet John Peatfield. You don't go on National TV to make wild accusations and then confront your trainer in the mounting yard - shouting " I have fired you " - Singleton is a drama queen ! He has sacked trainers, fallen out with good friends and had about 25 wives.

Singleton has brought racing into disrepute.

So, what will Racing NSW stewards do now?

Do they throw the book at John Singleton, Gai and Tom Waterhouse, or go easy on them and think this is all good PR for racing?

And how would racing authorities in other countries like ie England, or Hong Kong, or Dubai had handled this problem?

I won't guess how overseas countries would handle it - but unless Singo is prepared to front up at the inquiry with his "trusted mate" (Andrew Johns) and present sworn testimony as to what Tom Waterhouse told Joey, it's going nowhere. Waterhouse reckons his books will show that he was on MJ, which flies in the face of him thinking that MJ can't win.

If Singo does provide such evidence? It'll be the biggest shitstorm in racing since Fine Cotton (given how they swept Oliver betting against his own ride under the carpet as much as they could). Gai's training career is in danger if she's found to have divulged information to a bookie (because her relationship with him is completely irrelevant), and Tom's bookies license - which I still can't believe he has in the first place - is in danger if he's sharing this information, and if he's shaping his book around that information.

There's no way this is good for racing, because at the end of the day there's a great horse in the middle of this who, even running down the straight, didn't look like she should've been in the race. I'm not saying she was obviously unwell - but she's had a poor campaign, and at worst she didn't have the form to be racing against those horses. Given the way that race was run, and how late before ATH kicked on, MJ would've brained every one of them a year ago.

And Singo? I don't think you have to be licensed to be an owner - I don't think they have a lot of jurisdiction over him. The Waterhouses can sue him if they've been defamed.

Interested to see the timing of Tom's bets on More Joyous, considering he himself said that the value was with Epaulette.

Will be an interesting hearing on Friday, as to why Gai didn't inform stewards of the treatment, considering it was only 48 hours before the race, and she's been given antibiotics.

Nobby

All owners are licensed people.

The two big issues are that More Joyous was passed fit to run by Leanne Begg who is Waterhouse's VET, and more importantly John Peatfield who is Singleton's private VET. It's a fact that horses have setbacks, are passed fit by VETS and sometimes run poorly. And secondly that Singleton has to divulge names. I have full confidence in Ray Murrihy as the chief Stipe. And in NSW you are punished for any breach of rules, not like the feather duster applied in Victoria.

The minor issues, -are Gai's failure to notify the stewards of More Joyous' problem in the lead-up to the race,- and the betting patterns on the race. The gambling issue will only be significant if there are unusual betting patterns, and at this stage, that doesn't appear to be the case.

this is gonna be bad for racing no matter what.

i'm not a massive fan of singo, although he does add a bit of colour, but i really hope the blame lays at the foot of the waterhouse's, in particular tom. just can't stand that smarmy prick.

as someone said it's hard to believe, even despite singo's legendary temper, that he'd fire his trainer of many decades unless the information he had was reliable. that being said, i'm sure tom waterhouse has made plenty of enemies in his short time and someone is just setting him up. i'm hoping not though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back