Sir Douglas Nicholls Round, acknowledging the GOAT Umpire of All Time.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
In today's footy where the umpies are bigger than the game, where the AFL controls the game so much that the umpires have no feel for the game, where a player gets fined for dacking a player, where talking back is considered dissent by the softies, where an umpire 40M away can over-rule the umpire in control at the coal face etc

I could go on about the control and officiating of the game but this bloke was and is the GOAT.

Lets hope we see more Indigenous Umpires into the future, this bloke is a dead-set Legend.

Bless you Glenn James, the GOAT.

Glen James was a very good umpire, but he wasn't the best umpire of his era.

That would be Ian Robinson. He gets my vote as the GOAT. He took charge of 9 Grand Finals (Only 1 field umpire prior to 1976, and then 2 umpires 1976-1993). My old man used to go crook at the umpires, paying out on them regularly in his big, booming voice. Ian Robinson was the one umpire he never questioned. He spoke of him in the same reverential tone as he would for Robert Flower, Leigh Matthews, Barry Cable and Gary Dempsey.

Brett Allen was also a universally-respected gun umpire in later years.

Glen James was super cool though. An aboriginal icon. He commanded respect. He took no crap from anyone and kept players in line. Lou Richards used to call him "Jesse James, fastest book in the west" because of the way he always had his notebook out in the blink of an eye and reported anyone who went the biff.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back