Sirengate - Question....

Remove this Banner Ad

jonesy233

Debutant
May 24, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have a question regarding the final stages of this controversial game.

After the siren sounded and Stephen Baker then kicked a point, which resulted in the game being tied, does anyone else recall the umpire then asking Stephen Baker whether he wanted to take another kick for goal?

This was my memory but I can’t find footage of this and would be interested whether anyone else can confirm that he was given the option of taking a second kick?

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Plenty of vision of it. Baker had a kick that was a point, then got a 2nd shot and kicked a point again.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
We have had a couple of doozies havent we? ha ha.
Remember this one??

That was the worst decision in the history of sport.

We're also the only team I know of who've had an umpire jump in to intercept a mark in front of one of their players and then call a ball up.

Btw, it was very considerate of the AFL to schedule the umpire we embarrassed during the Sirengate affair to umpire our maiden GF. No wonder he umpired like it was a non-contact AFL 9's game instead of letting the minor stuff go like you usually see in a big final.

Last edited:

Westerberg

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm still bitter about Brian Lake beheading Sonny in the GF after he'd taken the mark. 4 weeks for his troubles but no 50 metre penalty paid of course, all the umpires didn't notice the blatantly obvious somehow. :mad:

Kicked the goal anyway, but can't help but wonder how things would have gone if the 50 was paid.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
I'm still bitter about Brian Lake beheading Sonny in the GF after he'd taken the mark. 4 weeks for his troubles but no 50 metre penalty paid of course, all the umpires didn't notice the blatantly obvious somehow. :mad:

Kicked the goal anyway, but can't help but wonder how things would have gone if the 50 was paid.

And the Buddy 50 he got when McPharlin didn't actually step over the mark? Our skills killed us, sure - but so did the umpires. Should have won that day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great call by Clinton Grybas though.
Yeah of all the what-ifs and 'jesus christ...' moments in this thread, this one is the biggest.

The taking of a life aside, the fact we're now stuck with: Basil, Luke Darcy, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson who's just a blabbering idiot now, McLachlan as genuine commentators now is a sad, sad thought. Grybas would have been a great commentator by now and doing every opening game, Friday and Saturday night, Anzac Day, Grand Final...

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
I have a question regarding the final stages of this controversial game.

After the siren sounded and Stephen Baker then kicked a point, which resulted in the game being tied, does anyone else recall the umpire then asking Stephen Baker whether he wanted to take another kick for goal?

This was my memory but I can’t find footage of this and would be interested whether anyone else can confirm that he was given the option of taking a second kick?

That is correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back