Site outage 19th/20th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, our apologies for this outage.

All major catastrophes are usually as a result of multiple points of unlikely failure, and this catastrophe is no exception.

Rest assured there was no mischief, hacking, data breach or anything like that so your data is still safe.

Just one small error being missed at one point. The symptoms of the resulting, seemingly unrelated issue are fixed but the wrong cause is blamed.

That causes another issue. Then finally the whole things closes up shop for the holidays.

I think at one point we had four people working on it until one person said “let me try something”. This was followed by facepalms all around. Then you wait for someone on the other side of the world to read their email, and then you start fixing it so it never happens again.

Will we ever go offline again in the future? Of course. But this particular risk is now being managed to within an inch of its life.

So just sit back and wait for the next highly unlikely series of failures that nobody saw coming. :D

* And read Taleb on managing risk. It will make you feel better.

Rest assured there was no mischief, hacking, data breach or anything like that so your data is still safe.

I thought we were in the midst of a hostile takeover by Sooz. Good to hear it was just a regular “feature”

• Admin
Didn't pay the server bill?
Not this time but that’s another thing that could go wrong - bloody bank blocks the transaction every month until we manually approve it. We’ve only been paying the same monthly bill for about 6 years now. :mad:

Not this time but that’s another thing that could go wrong - bloody bank blocks the transaction every month until we manually approve it. We’ve only been paying the same monthly bill for about 6 years now. :mad:
Which bank?

All major catastrophes are usually as a result of multiple points of unlikely failure, and this catastrophe is no exception.

Just one small error being missed at one point. The symptoms of the resulting, seemingly unrelated issue are fixed but the wrong cause is blamed.

That causes another issue. Then finally the whole things closes up shop for the holidays.

I think at one point we had four people working on it until one person said “let me try something”. This was followed by facepalms all around. Then you wait for someone on the other side of the world to read their email, and then you start fixing it so it never happens again.

Will we ever go offline again in the future? Of course. But this particular risk is now being managed to within an inch of its life.

So just sit back and wait for the next highly unlikely series of failures that nobody saw coming. :D

Glad you explained. I was beginning to wonder if this was your "Ivan the Terrible" moment. A taste of life without BF followed by a sharp increase in revenue raising.

Not that I'm complaining $20 is is a pittance for the use I get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for everything you and the crew do for us mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back