Opinion Six $1m players in the AFL in 2019 - GWS with potentially 3 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just a personal opinion there; AFL is a bit unique among major sporting codes in that players don't actually earn enough to set themselves up for life the way NFL or EPL players do. So long term security becomes very important whereas with the NFL you've got rookies on ~ USD$480,000 and a median wage for active senior players of ~ USD$860,000. Also a much larger talent pool from which to draw from.

It's a different set of circumstances.

But yes, I agree that you can end up hamstrung by them, there's a risk on both parties with long term deals. The player might be leaving significant amounts of money on the table, the club might end up having quality depth squeezed out (or lose a budding star).

GWS appear to have invested heavily in retaining their top end, but have shed talented guys like Treloar, Adams and Shiel to accomodate it.

I think the fact that the bulk of these long term deals have gone to players (Whitfield, Coniglio, Kelly, Greene, Buddy) at the Sydney
teams may also say their clubs feel they have to offer them to keep these players, more so than the Melbourne teams do with
their existing top players. Yet another example of the unequal playing field the Sydney teams are up against in a comp where footy
is a long way from being the dominant code in the city or the state.
As for a player possibly leaving money on the table by signing a long term deal, there doesn't seem to be much of an appetite by
broadcasters to pay increasing amounts of money for broadcast rights at the moment (look at the mess Foxtel is in) so it's hard to imagine the
TPP will be bounding ahead much in the near future. Maybe for Whitfield, Coniglio and co a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
Likewise for Buddy. He has three years to go at an average salary of $1.1M a year. Would anyone be signing Buddy now on $3.3M/3 year
deal? Likely not. He made the right call money wise way back after the 2013 season when he signed on for 9 years.

Last edited:
Wow North fans have passed on the "going to soon" gene.
You are seriously comparing anything North to Richmond ?
Kid is a mad Tigers supporter and even though he was part of your academy and knew he would be drafted by GWS watched the GF with Tiger colours barracking for Richmond.

The timing of our big $$$ players like Cotchin,Rance,Riewoldt,Edwards all at the last minute of their careers in 2-3 years is perfect for an offer to Green to come 'Home' with an offer to good for GWS to match

Look after him well for us

Kid is a mad Tigers supporter and even though he was part of your academy and knew he would be drafted by GWS watched the GF with Tiger colours barracking for Richmond.

The timing of our big $$$ players like Cotchin,Rance,Riewoldt,Edwards all at the last minute of their careers in 2-3 years is perfect for an offer to Green to come 'Home' with an offer to good for GWS to match

We shall see.

Why is the burden of proof on me? You and the others in this thread are insistent that GWS are rorting the cap without any factual evidence behind it. Anyone can fudge numbers to portray what they want.

It's classic conspiracy theory.

I'm still waiting for someone to give me a breakdown of the GWS salary cap in 2014, 2015, 2016... seeing as everyone is expert on its current position.

In 2015 they had a list of 48 and $1m above the cap. By 2017 it was 44 and nothing and from 2019 it was AFL standard and nothing.

I mean Jeremy Cameron signed a "multi million dollar, long term deal" (sez afl.com.au) in early 2015. Shiel, Smith and Coniglio all signed around that time and Treloar was traded to Collingwood for picks at the end of that season.

It's a crazy notion but guys like Cameron and Green and Smith were signed up before GWS came good. Given that they had a small handful of experienced players on good contracts and a whole heap of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th year players the salary cap breakdown would not have looked like that of a regular list. You can't pay a whole bunch of 3rd and 4th year players low wages and then pay them all $500k-$1m a few years later. It just isn't practical in the AFL system.

If you put away the tin foil hat for a minute and think about how what strategy you would adopt it makes sense that you would pay a few players who want to stay long term early in their footballing careers. Under normal circumstances a 3rd year Jeremy Cameron doesn't get paid $1m a year (think Jack Darling after 2012, but Cameron was better). But at GWS in 2015 (start of his 4th year) why not? Same for Smith, Shiel, whoever. It's quite believable to think that some players signed on around 2014/15 knowing that their biggest contract would be their second one after their mandatory two years and that when they were in their 6-8 year prime that there would be a choice between taking less money or moving clubs. Not without risk, and inevitably some players will take say $800k when they are really worth $600k and once they are worth $800k take it elsewhere.

Alternatively, maybe players sign for much less than is reported because, I don't know, they actually like being there.

GWS already have Cameron believed to be on $1m. Josh Kelly signed a not inconsiderable deal, rejecting overtures from North Melbourne. Toby Greene is known to have signed a hefty deal as well.

This year, Lachie Whitfield joins Stephen Coniglio as the newest highly paid, long tenured players on the list.

With the contracts of Cameron, Greene, Kelly, Whitfield and Coniglio, it would not be a stretch to assume that at least 2 and potentially 3 of those players are pulling in 7 figures.

This begs the question - is this suspicious considering the quality of players and the huge amount of money involved? Is there any way to alleviate the concerns of the multitude of other clubs, save for making player payments public?

Massive extrapolation to assume that way.

He may be a bit of a nutcase onfield but Greene's played for half price this year and has backended his deal. it's a 6 year / 750k deal according to article. Same article says Kelly is on about $800k for 2 years. This is before Kelly signed his bigger deal.

Instead of letting speculation linger all year, Whitfield settled real quick which indicate it's an amicable conversation. Comparing other players with similar role across half-back and wing, Polec signed a 5 year/700k free agency and Brad hill apparently got a 6 year/900k (which was termed as extreme).. I'd place whitfield somewhere closer to Polec $. Good for GWS.

Coniglio and Cameron may be the 2 pushing the million dollar salary, rest would be in high paid brackets but considerably less. You may hate the fact that players are staying together by taking less, but may be the club is doing something right and has got the players buy-in.

While GWS doing something dodgy and keeping all $1M players together sounds the better gossip, reality would be far from it.

Home? Tom Green literally lived down the street from me in Canberra you clown. Unless the AFL brings a new team here in the next ten years, he won't be going "home".

Home? Tom Green literally lived down the street from me in Canberra you clown. Unless the AFL brings a new team here in the next ten years, he won't be going "home".
Looks like we need to simplify things .................. Home is where your heart is not where you live
Home to his club

But you are from Canberra so i will excuse you

I'm still waiting for someone to give me a breakdown of the GWS salary cap in 2014, 2015, 2016... seeing as everyone is expert on its current position.

In 2015 they had a list of 48 and $1m above the cap. By 2017 it was 44 and nothing and from 2019 it was AFL standard and nothing.

I mean Jeremy Cameron signed a "multi million dollar, long term deal" (sez afl.com.au) in early 2015. Shiel, Smith and Coniglio all signed around that time and Treloar was traded to Collingwood for picks at the end of that season.

It's a crazy notion but guys like Cameron and Green and Smith were signed up before GWS came good. Given that they had a small handful of experienced players on good contracts and a whole heap of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th year players the salary cap breakdown would not have looked like that of a regular list. You can't pay a whole bunch of 3rd and 4th year players low wages and then pay them all $500k-$1m a few years later. It just isn't practical in the AFL system.

If you put away the tin foil hat for a minute and think about how what strategy you would adopt it makes sense that you would pay a few players who want to stay long term early in their footballing careers. Under normal circumstances a 3rd year Jeremy Cameron doesn't get paid $1m a year (think Jack Darling after 2012, but Cameron was better). But at GWS in 2015 (start of his 4th year) why not? Same for Smith, Shiel, whoever. It's quite believable to think that some players signed on around 2014/15 knowing that their biggest contract would be their second one after their mandatory two years and that when they were in their 6-8 year prime that there would be a choice between taking less money or moving clubs. Not without risk, and inevitably some players will take say $800k when they are really worth $600k and once they are worth $800k take it elsewhere.

Alternatively, maybe players sign for much less than is reported because, I don't know, they actually like being there.

You're getting warmer, but this notion will largely be ignored by most posting on these type of threads as it's counter productive to such discussions - despite it being one the worst kept secrets in the industry...

Goes to show the severe disadvantage the Northern teams are at where even if you are in a premiership window, you must pay considerably more to retain decent players.

But, but, but, Gil? Gil hates Victoria? And what about the academies? Won't somebody think of the academies?
Thread is literally full of posts suggesting they took unders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really why I made it, but sure. A club signing two players who have the potential to earn $1m a season for 7 year deals is interesting enough for a thread, and the only conclusion from this thread so far is "no one besides those involved actually know what the contracts are worth" - this is precisely the problem.

look after tim for us as well..with cameron,whitfield,coniglio on super coin over the next 6-7 years i hope you guys can afford to pay him what he'll be worth
in 2-3 years time

Look after Tim for us? I don't think I understand?

Not sure whether he's talking aboutt Tim Taranto or Tom Green. He was talking about Green. But his name isn't Tim. So maybe it's Taranto.

Hard to be sure really. I guess Richmond will just take both because everyone wants to play for Richmond. Especially if they supported them. Even though they grew up in Canberra and nowhere near Richmond.

Not sure whether he's talking aboutt Tim Taranto or Tom Green. He was talking about Green. But his name isn't Tim. So maybe it's Taranto.

Hard to be sure really. I guess Richmond will just take both because everyone wants to play for Richmond. Especially if they supported them. Even though they grew up in Canberra and nowhere near Richmond.
or GWS will keep them all because everyone want to play for GWS for unders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back