Opinion Six $1m players in the AFL in 2019 - GWS with potentially 3 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

or GWS will keep them all because everyone want to play for GWS for unders

Haha, why so jealous. They'll keep whom they want to keep. Hateley, Caldwell, Green are all similar types. They'll keep one and trade out the rest for multiple future picks. Good business for them.

Haha, why so jealous. They'll keep whom they want to keep. Hateley, Caldwell, Green are all similar types. They'll keep one and trade out the rest for multiple future picks. Good business for them.

That'll even out now. There won't be multiple picks given up for blokes who can't even get a look in.

That'll even out now. There won't be multiple picks given up for blokes who can't even get a look in.

It all depends on whose buying and what the market is willing to pay, along with where player wants to go.

Giants only glaring misstep was Cam McCarthy where they held the cards for too long. Apart from that one instance, they've either salary dumped or traded for good future picks very effectively.

It all depends on whose buying and what the market is willing to pay, along with where player wants to go.

Giants only glaring misstep was Cam McCarthy where they held the cards for too long. Apart from that one instance, they've either salary dumped or traded for good future picks very effectively.

They have up to this point, but that was purely because of the sheer amount of players they had at that age bracket. More recently they've been getting less and less as their more recent draftees have had less time to prove themselves. The players who left for unders such as Hoskin-Elliott, Marchbank, Smith, Wilson, Scully and Patton have been masked by players they've gotten a good return on; Shiel, Treloar, Lobb and such.

Cam McCarthy, who we traded for pick 3, which we turned into pick 2 and got this year's best & fairest winner Tim Taranto with? that Cam McCarthy?

might have been a bit ugly at the time but I reckon we came out ahead on that one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really relevant to million dollar contracts but trading 18-21 year olds from a glut of 18-21 year olds is different to trading players at or approaching free agency.

GWS traded Dom Tyson (pick 3 in 2011) + pick 9 + pick 53 for pick 2 + pick 20 + pick 72 two years later. On paper that seems like a fair enough trade at the time but Josh Kelly (pick 2, 2013) vs Dom Tyson is not even close a few years later. But then Josh Bruce with no real exposed form or high draft pedigree went for pick 48 in the same trade period and has been a pretty solid player. They tend to get unders/nothing for fringe and most unproven players (even if high draft picks) and good returns on those that have showed a lot at AFL level.

I would be willing to bet my life that Whitfield would have gotten more at Hawthorn (or any other vic club) than what he will now earn at GWS

The issue for me is why should all clubs, especially the bottom 4 teams be forced to use up/spend all the same cap space as other clubs, esp in the top 4, there must be an extraordinarily amount of overpaid players in the league right now, compared to talent.

The cap is wrongly structured for equalisation measures, but only in terms of say Gold Coast being forced to use their full cap like Richmond has this season.

The Giants cannot be faulted for having good accountants and a culture that lets their big guns stay, it’s more the fact that other clubs are not allowed to have a rolling/flexible salary cap, especially during their rebuilding seasons, that is the main headache the AFL have created.

I would be willing to bet my life that Whitfield would have gotten more at Hawthorn (or any other vic club) than what he will now earn at GWS

The issue for me is why should all clubs, especially the bottom 4 teams be forced to use up/spend all the same cap space as other clubs, esp in the top 4, there must be an extraordinarily amount of overpaid players in the league right now, compared to talent.

The cap is wrongly structured for equalisation measures, but only in terms of say Gold Coast being forced to use their full cap like Richmond has this season.

The Giants cannot be faulted for having good accountants and a culture that lets their big guns stay, it’s more the fact that other clubs are not allowed to have a rolling/flexible salary cap, especially during their rebuilding seasons, that is the main headache the AFL have created.
Yeah salary floor should be lower than 95% IMO

Cam McCarthy, who we traded for pick 3, which we turned into pick 2 and got this year's best & fairest winner Tim Taranto with? that Cam McCarthy?

might have been a bit ugly at the time but I reckon we came out ahead on that one

No, you can't just part quote the trade to suit your argument. "The Dockers have handed over pick No.3 in return for McCarthy and picks seven, 34 and 72 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft."

Instead, it could've been a much bigger trade offer if it was done on 2015. So yes, you guys did miss a trick there.

Were Freo really offering pick 22 + their 2016 first round pick?

Probably looked like average at the time given they were the minor premier.

I think it came down to Freo being in finals window and still not finding a forward to pair with Pavlich. They were desperate and did go after Cloke, Dixon etc. Cam McCarthy kicked 30 odd goals and looked every bit ready to breakout following season. Freo may have paid whatever to get the flag.

No, you can't just part quote the trade to suit your argument. "The Dockers have handed over pick No.3 in return for McCarthy and picks seven, 34 and 72 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft."

Instead, it could've been a much bigger trade offer if it was done on 2015. So yes, you guys did miss a trick there.

What were Freo going to trade? They’d already (really early in the trade period) traded their first round pick for Harley Bennell and categorically ruled out trading any players of worth to get more picks. There was no trade going to happen in 2015 after Freo traded the only thing of real value for Bennell (how’d that work out, remind me?)

Not only did we not want to let him go, Freo had nothing to give us that was worth what McCarthy was worth.

We would have happily had him play for us, as he was contracted to do, in 2016 but he chose not to. When the next trade period rolled round and McCarthy still had another year on his contract, we traded him for something that got us Taranto.

Win for us. It wouldn’t have been in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back