Opinion Six $1m players in the AFL in 2019 - GWS with potentially 3 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

The tigers have 4 solid stars that would get paid what 8 gws players would be getting plus there’s no go home factor for them to have to pay overs

There is no way they are on less than 750k and more likely the argument is are they on a mil or 800k

Really? Why?
They've won 2 flags shouldn't those stars be on big contracts?

There's no way? Really?

You went the whole players can stay at clubs but not franchises route.
Pretty straight forward really.
Well that’s a point I think would be widely accepted
The franchise clubs interstate will have more issues retaining players wanting to go home

Goes without saying

Given that journos report offers to players from opposition clubs that never happened, I take their reporting of salaries with a grain of salt.

Come on mate, it's no stretch of the imagination to think they're all at least 850k+. That's in the realm of a million and all adds up pretty quick. You really think they'd stay for less than that? Getting paid less than what they would elsewhere is one thing, but they're still not staying for peanuts. You think Whitfield, for example, is going to lock himself into 7 years for only ~700k? Plenty of players stay for the love of the club, but they generally still get paid at least close to what they're worth.
Jake Niall reported months after the initial reports (that said 1 mil plus) that Greene is on 750k - and only on 300k this year

The others I’d imagine have a much stronger argument for 1 mil contracts.

Just dojt think you can believe these reports that state salaries like they are fact. The journos clearly don’t really know.

Jake Niall reported months after the initial reports (that said 1 mil plus) that Greene is on 750k - and only on 300k this year

The others I’d imagine have a much stronger argument for 1 mil contracts.

Just dojt think you can believe these reports that state salaries like they are fact. The journos clearly don’t really know.
So Devils advocate whose to say Jake Nialls reports are more factual then the others

So Devils advocate whose to say Jake Nialls reports are more factual then the others
no way to know from our end
The fact that Nialls report was a few months later also that he had more detail (i.e.. to 300k for 2019) would suggest that it is closer to the mark than those claiming a mil per at the time of announcement.
It's all just guess work though.

Rather than saying one is right and one is wrong I'm making the point that there is such variance in reports contracts that we can't really take any of it as gospel.

no way to know from our end
The fact that Nialls report was a few months later also that he had more detail (i.e.. to 300k for 2019) would suggest that it is closer to the mark than those claiming a mil per at the time of announcement.
It's all just guess work though.

Rather than saying one is right and one is wrong I'm making the point that there is such variance in reports contracts that we can't really take any of it as gospel.
And this is why all players salaries or at least the top 10 players per club should be made public

no random guess work reports. Players from other clubs knowing what opposition players are on could even lead to more evenness as other players chase money when they realise they are getting paid well unders

With Whitfield re-signing being great news for the club on another reported 'mega deal' of 7 years and Cameron reportedly close on a similar deal it would leave the following deals in the last few years.

The questions have to be asked, how much 'ambassadorial' money is flowing into these contracts?

Toby Green - reported 6 years @ $1m a season
Josh Kelly - reported 10 years @ $1m+ a season
Stephen Coniglio - reported 7 years @ $1m a season
Lachie Whitield - reported 7 years @ $1m a season

Tim Taranto - Extended for 2 years in 2019 in a year he went on to win the B&F? $600-$800k estimate.
Jeremy Cameron - Circa $1m deal incoming...

Then there's Hopper, Davis, Shaw, Williams, Himmelberg

The above 6 consume around 50% of the salary cap, with around $170k on average remaining to pay the remainder of the 80% of the playing list.

They've certainly lost a few players along the way, but I don't think there's been a club with more $1m+ deals fit under a single cap than this current Giant's side....

What about the afl handouts for ambassadors roles etc
Player may be getting 1m but only 50% is actually paid for in the cap the rest through the afl slush funds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about the afl handouts for ambassadors roles etc
Player may be getting 1m but only 50% is actually paid for in the cap the rest through the afl slush funds
The same “slush” fund available at the same levels to every single AFL club including yours? That one?

Your club (along with EVERY OTHER CLUB IN THE LEAGUE) has access to $1,159,763 for 2020 under Additional Service Agreements - which can be paid outside the cap. Your club. Who’s getting that money at your club?

This bulls#*t about ambassador payments to Giants players - and only Giants players - has got to f#*ing stop.

Every club - same amount.

No other club has this amount of talent on the big $$$ and these players would not sign for 50% of what they would get from a club 'Back Home' so they are on very good coin. Whitfield,Cameron,Greene,Coniglio,Kelly would all be well in the $1 mil bracket then you have the following players like
Ward,Davies,Toranto,Hopper,Himmelberg,Williams who would all have to be in the $500k range

Not leaving alot for players like Taylor,Green,Hately,Caldwell in a few years time

But players will slip out its just a matter of which ones and can GWS snag a flag or 2 in that time, Its all about the NOW for GWS

Remember players regularly take a hair cut for a flag.

Managing a list is better handled by some clubs, that alone pays for Balmey at the Tiges, others not so high profile of the ex Subi prodigy.

Guess these days of 1mil contracts are Over for awhile

The likely lowering of salary cap I think will hurt the 2 expansion clubs the most for different reasons
Gws cos they have a lot of high end talent on big money and a cap decrease will make life difficult to fit everyone under

Gc have 52 players on their list they will need to cull like crazy to get under

Guess these days of 1mil contracts are Over for awhile

The likely lowering of salary cap I think will hurt the 2 expansion clubs the most for different reasons
Gws cos they have a lot of high end talent on big money and a cap decrease will make life difficult to fit everyone under

Gc have 52 players on their list they will need to cull like crazy to get under
You know all clubs pay 95% of the cap yeah?

Links please
If you need a link to show why some teams would struggle with a cap squeeze more than others than there’s no point discussing

Teams with more players in their list like gc or more stars on their list On big money like gws will struggle plain and simple

Blues going 105% of the cap is interesting also and will see if that backfires

If you need a link to show why some teams would struggle with a cap squeeze more than others than there’s no point discussing

Teams with more players in their list like gc or more stars on their list On big money like gws will struggle plain and simple

Blues going 105% of the cap is interesting also and will see if that backfires
Oh.

So you don't have any actual evidence.

Hmm, so GWS have potentially 3 players on 1 million dollars but you believe they back ended? Seems more like they front ended. Same as Carlton who are paying more this year.

But front ending is good isn't it? Or is it only good if North, with zero evidence provided, do it?

Honestly next time you wanna try and take a cheap shot at other clubs put some thought into it.

I say that knowing with your track record there is zero chance you'll listen.

Honestly next time you wanna try and take a cheap shot at other clubs put some thought into it.

I say that knowing with your track record there is zero chance you'll listen.
If I wanted to take a cheap shot I’d bump the Essendon drug saga and how your players have now missed 2 whole seasons recently and the affects of that holistically on their list

But I won’t cos I don’t take cheap shots

If I wanted to take a cheap shot I’d bump the Essendon drug saga and how your players have now missed 2 whole seasons recently and the affects of that holistically on their list

But I won’t cos I don’t take cheap shots
Go ahead. It'd be in line with your usual stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back