Current Six children killed, two others still in critical condition after school party incident in Devonport

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
coming from a mining industry backgrounds a risk matrix takes 2 to 3 months to develop with the entire teams input and safety mitigation strategies flowing into procedures. This is presented to the board for further assessment and "acceptance" or "rejection" of activities where risk remains high.

You'd suggest given the number of "explosions" and "wind take off" of these blow up toys, that the products don't have built in solutions. ie if the wind exceeds 25km a wind alert immediately starts to deflate the equipment in a controlled manner after a 60 second alarm. Similar automated controls on the anchor points and anti explosion protection.

It would increase costs but at the end of the day, you kill kids if things go wrong........and they do go wrong.
Would help if wind not gusting.

Sudden gusts can come out of nowhere and as another poster suggested wind direction change likely culprit, often gusts happen when wind changes.

Anchoring should be able to cope with a sudden gust. If pickets, totally unacceptable IMO.

Tragedies happen but this was avoidable which makes it all the worse.

Lions777

Debutant
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would help if wind not gusting.

Sudden gusts can come out of nowhere and as another poster suggested wind direction change likely culprit, often gusts happen when wind changes.

Anchoring should be able to cope with a sudden gust. If pickets, totally unacceptable IMO.

Tragedies happen but this was avoidable which makes it all the worse.
I quite agree. As I said before, keep ‘em indoors. Saves people from having to stress about the weather etc. mitigates most of the risk from the elements.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I quite agree. As I said before, keep ‘em indoors. Saves people from having to stress about the weather etc. mitigates most of the risk from the elements.
Might be the end of them alltogether. Agree, indoors could work, most schools/towns have access to a big hall.

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Speaking of wind gusts- anyone notice the one yesterday? Was so sudden felt like it came out of nowhere- was unbelievably loud and everything was shaking. Was just crazy, lasted maybe 3-4minutes?
Yes yesterdays northerly wind here was awful. But it depends where you are, what area are you talking ?
Northerlies are very bad where i live due to the lay of the land & have a pet hate for fresh north wind, its brutal and exposed.
Yes it was a bastardly northerly type change that flipped the jumping castle.
Looking at the map i see the nor-east quadrant is exposed more than other sides. From the south wind it looks protected & thats why all was fine until the ~ 10am change of direction to nor-east - north.
Planning things without checking weather forecasts is an age old mistake.
my opinion only.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Yes yesterdays northerly wind here was awful. But it depends where you are, what area are you talking ?
Northerlies are very bad where i live due to the lay of the land & have a pet hate for fresh north wind, its brutal and exposed.
Yes it was a bastardly northerly type change that flipped the jumping castle.
Looking at the map i see the nor-east quadrant is exposed more than other sides. From the south wind it looks protected & thats why all was fine until the ~ 10am change of direction to nor-east - north.
Planning things without checking weather forecasts is an age old mistake.
my opinion only.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk
Metropolitan melbourne. West side. Was like a freight train

Jul 24, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Indoors is a great idea.

Last month my grandkids attended a West Coast Eagles kids event - it was all indoors due to inclement weather and there was a bouncy castle. I guess it would have been outdoors if not for the weather. It was great inside - after this tragedy I will never let the kids go on an outdoor one again.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely tragic event. My heart goes out to the family and school community.

Whilst it will be investigated, it seems that there has been inadequate or no anchoring of the jumping castle. Combine that with some wind gusts and that chain of events has led to such melancholic misfortune.

OH&S & safety legislation is often lambasted but when you get seemingly preventable tragedy like this, one can appreciate it more.

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I saw one of these yesterday in my town, it was chained to a truck, to show potential customers there was no chance of it blowing away. Although it was only tethered with 4 pretty thin looking chains, I would have thought the chains would be the weak points if the wind got strong enough

Anyway there was plenty of kids on there unbelievably enough, was quite windy too.. they should be banned imo

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I saw one of these yesterday in my town, it was chained to a truck, to show potential customers there was no chance of it blowing away. Although it was only tethered with 4 pretty thin looking chains, I would have thought the chains would be the weak points if the wind got strong enough

Anyway there was plenty of kids on there unbelievably enough, was quite windy too.. they should be banned imo
The weak points would be where the loops attach to the castle.
Material will tear before chains break.

Back