Injury SJOGHCIU 2021

Opinion of an ex-player who has shown a willingness to speak his mind since retirement

Are you suggesting Schoey’s opinion means more than a Bigfooty poster who’s been to a physio before?

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Opinion of an ex-player who has shown a willingness to speak his mind since retirement

So what's his opinion of injuries last year and this year? All teams are in same situation with less staff. It must be horrific luck if they are as good as he says.....at some point it can't just be bad luck

So what's his opinion of injuries last year and this year? All teams are in same situation with less staff. It must be horrific luck if they are as good as he says.....at some point it can't just be bad luck

I haven’t seen any actual stats, but it seems like injury numbers are right up all across the league.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
The majority of our players are also late 20s or early 30s so these soft tissue injuries and strains are to be expected (and will probably continue to get worse). From memory I don't think our injury list has been that bad since 2015 in terms of hammies, calves, groins etc, we've mostly had contact injuries and unlucky s**t (a fair bit to do with the Optus turf too, no doubt Ryan's injury is as a result of that). I think were just getting old.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I haven’t seen any actual stats, but it seems like injury numbers are right up all across the league.
Who would've thought that if you speed the game up (new mark/stand rule) and lower the rotations, you end up with more injuries. Oh, and a shorter pre-season with less coaches and medical staff on top of that.

Mattman93

high ceiling
Jun 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast

I appreciate it as a piece of evidence, but why would Schofield have any idea really? I suspect that what is most operational here is the tacit belief probably ingrained in any player who arrived at WCE in the mid-2000s that any of their resources/facilities are the 'best in the business'.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
There is a record amount
I appreciate it as a piece of evidence, but why would Schofield have any idea really? I suspect that what is most operational here is the tacit belief probably ingrained in any player who arrived at WCE in the mid-2000s that any of their resources/facilities are the 'best in the business'.

He would know more than any of us here.

Also we have had players from other clubs come to ours so maybe he asked them at some point?

Also we have had players from other clubs come to ours so maybe he asked them at some point?

Pretty sure he was also one of our AFLPA delegates, so he’d be aware about complaints/concerns around the league about medical depts.

Schoey flagged a year of high injuries almost two months ago. It's on his Twitter.

Yep
- shorter than usual preseason
- return to normal length quarters after they’d been shortened the season before
- reduced rotations
- new rules to speed up the game and reduce stoppages
- less football staff, in particular strength and conditioning due to cost cutbacks

You reap what you sow I guess

Anyone able to read that and see who the missing players are?

Forgot that Cripps finished the game looking like he’d spent 2 hours moonlighting as a piñata

Back