Employment Skilled jobs that don't pay well

Remove this Banner Ad

I received an email from Seek a little while ago that listed the trending / high demand jobs, state by state.

In Victoria, one of the occupations was that of a boilermaker. Avg wage it said was around the $45-50k mark.

The boilermaker that works here on site laughed when I told him, said he wouldn't even bother getting out of bed for it. He's on a $120k base with $20k site allowance doing a 7 day on / 7 day off roster.

I received an email from Seek a little while ago that listed the trending / high demand jobs, state by state.

In Victoria, one of the occupations was that of a boilermaker. Avg wage it said was around the $45-50k mark.

The boilermaker that works here on site laughed when I told him, said he wouldn't even bother getting out of bed for it. He's on a $120k base with $20k site allowance doing a 7 day on / 7 day off roster.
Wow

I know a boiler-maker (now not rubbishing it, it's a ******* s**t job but he was an absolute dumbass) who left school at 16, left to work in port headland and has just came back from basically working in northern W.A., purchased 5 bedroom house for 1m+, a Mustang out-right and has a kid and decided to take two years off to help his partner raise a child for a couple of years. He's decided also to finish year 11/12 and give uni a "crack" and working part time at a Dan Murphys 2 shifts a week because he loves working around beers and boredom

I ******* wish i went the path he went, all power to him because it would of ******* sucked spending 10 years of your life working 12-14 hour days in a jumpsuit in 50 degree heat but yeah he was on 140k+ a year.

Wow

I know a boiler-maker (now not rubbishing it, it's a ******* s**t job but he was an absolute dumbass) who left school at 16, left to work in port headland and has just came back from basically working in northern W.A., purchased 5 bedroom house for 1m+, a Mustang out-right and has a kid and decided to take two years off to help his partner raise a child for a couple of years. He's decided also to finish year 11/12 and give uni a "crack" and working part time at a Dan Murphys 2 shifts a week because he loves working around beers and boredom

I ******* wish i went the path he went, all power to him because it would of ******* sucked spending 10 years of your life working 12-14 hour days in a jumpsuit in 50 degree heat but yeah he was on 140k+ a year.

I work in all sorts of temperature. Presently it's bloody cold and in summer we've had days of 50. You work 12 hours shifts but the days go quick because you're so busy. I've worked jobs with 8 hour shifts that seem to go for an eternity. I like the work and I love the rosters. (current roster is s**t but I'm working on changing that at the end of the year)

7 days on / 7 days off, add in your annual leave and you're working for 5 months of the year. Use 84 hours leave and take a 7 day swing off and you get a 21 day break.

Nurses and schoolteachers don't get paid badly. You can argue they should get paid more given the nature of the work, but their incomes are respectable.

When I read this question I think about jobs requiring qualifications that are a terrible return on investment. e.g. social workers get paid terribly for a job that requires a bachelor degree.

school teachers don't get paid poorly, but thats dependant on if you're in the public or private system. I work for a private school and the kids are unreal, the pressure is high as they are all bloody high achievers and many are getting all band 6 grades, but theres little to no behaviour management. its turn up, teach your class, answer questions via email if they have any extras, and i get paid just under $100k.

having said that, the 60k that graduate teachers are earning for working in the outer suburbs where theres * all support, you're getting chairs thrown at you and kids telling you to * off is not worth a minute of my time. i couldn't do it and full power to them.

i guess im lucky that I've got a school that treats its students as almost university kids. having said that, the amount of s**t you see these days (depression, anxiety, eating disorders, social media addiction) compared to when I Was at school makes it bloody difficult at times.

Teachers are an interesting one.

Some are terrific for not only actual education but the improvement of people socially and mentally while others are useless and are basically eaten alive by the kids. If you don't have decent enough control then your actual teaching skills are invalid.

Those don't seem underpaid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nurses and schoolteachers don't get paid badly. You can argue they should get paid more given the nature of the work, but their incomes are respectable.

When I read this question I think about jobs requiring qualifications that are a terrible return on investment. e.g. social workers get paid terribly for a job that requires a bachelor degree.
Disagree.

I went back and did nursing as a mature aged student with two young children, a working partner, and a small mortgage (house bought 12-15 years ago). Every fortnight I worked on the wards I ended in more debt (and that was including penalties). The nurse unit manager of the ward with 25 years experience, a staff of 60+ and responsibility for dealing with the situation if one of the grad nurses makes a serious medication error was on the same money as my partner 2 years after she'd done a town planning degree. My situation wasn't helped by the fact that I was on a rolling shift and I'd only find out what I was working a couple of weeks in advance making it hard for my partner to do much. I might still be doing the job if I could pay my bills doing it.

PS. I don't disagree with your about Social Workers. What they get paid is a total disgrace.

People don't care about nurses or social workers unless they or a loved one needs their help. And if you need a nurse or a social worker you've got bigger things to worry about that how much the person helping you is getting paid.

Rant over.

Mechanic, in comparison to other trades.

I guess as a mechanic you are a bit more limited in what you can do in the hours you are open that people can drop off and pick up their cars.

Plumbers and sparkies going house to house would do plenty of quick jobs and plenty of jobs for cash. As a plumber you could concievably pocket a few hundred in an hour just by getting a couple of jobs that don't require any work. 'I dropped my iphone behind the toilet'. Cut silicon, pull toilet out, retrieve phone, re-silicon. 10 minutes work and you pocket at least he call out fee and bail to the next one.

Pharmacists.

A bit like teaching I think the job has been devalued over the years to the point of most people seeing pharmacists as glorified retail staff, but the qualification itself isn't easy.
Always wondered about this one.

Is the job itself actually more than glorified retail? Maybe I'm naive but is any of the stuff they learn at uni regularly used at work?

Always wondered about this one.

Is the job itself actually more than glorified retail? Maybe I'm naive but is any of the stuff they learn at uni regularly used at work?

Depends on the role. Some pharmacies do compounding, others just sell stuff.

They're kind of a check and balance, and if someone gets a script from a Dr for drug A and are already on drug B which is the same or can't be taken together the pharmacist is supposed to pick that up.

But yeah they just sell nappies and jelly beans a lot of the time.

Depends on the role. Some pharmacies do compounding, others just sell stuff.

They're kind of a check and balance, and if someone gets a script from a Dr for drug A and are already on drug B which is the same or can't be taken together the pharmacist is supposed to pick that up.

But yeah they just sell nappies and jelly beans a lot of the time.
Woosha doesn't like this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back