Skills under pressure

Remove this Banner Ad

May 17, 2005
fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
i think the coaching staff need to develop better drills over preseason where players are constantly being assessed and coached on decision making and skill execution under pressure. Too much emphasis was placed on extra running on Saturdays whereas maybe we should have concentrated on skills under pressure.

Lets face it of few yrs ago the egirls were terrible by foot. In comes Simpson after 4 Yrs at Hawks where elite kicking skills is the norm within two yrs he has turned it around amongst other things to have them in in a GF.

who are our elite kickers? Sonny Stevie h Mundy johnno pav maybe tommy there are too few. Too many soldiers not enough artists in the side

You see, I think the skills started going astray when Ross tried to tinker with his game plan at the start of 2014, ostensibly to boost our scoring power.

This led to an adoption of a "handball shuffle" and "always play on" policy which has led us into trouble time and time again ever since. It worked for a while - particularly when Fyfe was winning 90% of the clearances - but once Richmond worked out how to counteract that and everyone else copied them we have been sunk.

It's not just the kicks which don't quite hit targets...it's the incredible amount of dithering that now occurs across half back and half forward, as the players try desperately to keep the play going as per the game plan but panic when they can't see a clear target, so handball to someone 2 metres away or otherwise run frantically sideways for 15 metres before hacking it forwards.

All this has been magnified by the complete collapse of that manic pressure on the ball carrier from 2013. Perhaps the old bodies in the team just can't do it anymore; but instead, the whole side concertinas up to prevent clean inside 50s for the opposition, resulting in no pressure in our forward half at all but likewise nothing to kick at when we successfully force a turnover and a (probably well founded) total lack of faith in anyone other than Fyfe or Sandi to take a contested mark.

It's been going on for ages now. I think our structure around the ground needs a revamp, and you might find a la WCE that the atrocious skills actually correct themselves somewhat.

Skills under pressure? We have players who don't have skills period. In fact we have quite a few of them

You can add all the tall timber you want in the forward line but as long as you have role players with poor disposal we'll get done.

Yep.

Why the hell do we do a loopy handball 20 metres to an opponent who is then placed under pressure instead of just kicking it to them which when they mark the ball leaves them under no pressure? We don't have to copy Hawthorn but ffs we could do it occasionally.

Oh hold on I remember... cause then we drop the effing ball and Cyril swoops on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back