Sky Bet Championship 16/17

Remove this Banner Ad

The A League isn't comparable to the championship to most.
Winston Reid?

There's some guy in the Eredivisie too i think that's doing ok. Wood just seems like a Championship striker. Cant see him doing much for Leeds if they go up
Most fans get more excited with a striker banging in goals rather than a defender stopping them. Reid's alright but nothing special. If Wood can replicate this season, he'll become huge in NZ I would have thought.

The A League isn't comparable to the championship to most.

Most fans get more excited with a striker banging in goals rather than a defender stopping them. Reid's alright but nothing special. If Wood can replicate this season, he'll become huge in NZ I would have thought.
Most nz fans love him though. He was in Europe recently too. They call him the kiwi Messi so clearly there's a lot of hype around him. Sorry, was just suggesting another player other than wood they get excited about.

Rojas is 25. Couldn't get a game in the Bundesliga and was just ok at FC Thun. Chris Wood's achievements before this season have him covered let alone now

Was Mooy before this season?

Just pointing out the Kiwis love Rojas, that's all mate.
Oh I thought you were rating him as a player. Yeah they love him but that's because he is their only flashy player of note. Personally I don't see him ever being more than a good A-League player. Mooy you could see had something to his game that was different and could mix it with Europe's best. Rojas is a dime a dozen sort of pacy/tricky AM/ST

Oh I thought you were rating him as a player. Yeah they love him but that's because he is their only flashy player of note. Personally I don't see him ever being more than a good A-League player. Mooy you could see had something to his game that was different and could mix it with Europe's best. Rojas is a dime a dozen sort of pacy/tricky AM/ST

Yeah was just responding to Jatz saying Wood is the only player NZ get excited about, think they get pretty excited by Rojas because he's flashy. I agree he won't make it in a bigger league but still getting a return NZ would be excited by in the A-League.

Yeah was just responding to Jatz saying Wood is the only player NZ get excited about, think they get pretty excited by Rojas because he's flashy. I agree he won't make it in a bigger league but still getting a return NZ would be excited by in the A-League.
I still think what Wood does means more to them. The support for the A-League is unfortunately quite poor and fickle in NZ

He has 12 goals and 11 assists in 20 appearances. Think he's a bit better than good.

Looks like he did quite well in Europe when fit but a broken foot stuffed up his chance a fair bit so he decided to come back. May well try and make the move again later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ninkovic is killing it as well. They're bossing a fairly mediocre league.

You've fallen right off it haha few years back you loved WSW.

For the record the league is getting better year on year. A player who was 'bossing it' has moved to the Championship and is similarly bossing it there this season, so I don't think there's a vast difference in quality.

You've fallen right off it haha few years back you loved WSW.

For the record the league is getting better year on year. A player who was 'bossing it' has moved to the Championship and is similarly bossing it there this season, so I don't think there's a vast difference in quality.
I did but I genuinely struggle to watch the A League these days. There is quality in there but it's so few and far between I really struggle to be engaged for a whole game.

That means to me that he was too good for the A League, rather than the quality of both leagues being similar. As JD pointed out, Rojas has already moved to Europe and failed. Some will make it, the vast majority wouldn't.

I did but I genuinely struggle to watch the A League these days. There is quality in there but it's so few and far between I really struggle to be engaged for a whole game.

That means to me that he was too good for the A League, rather than the quality of both leagues being similar. As JD pointed out, Rojas has already moved to Europe and failed. Some will make it, the vast majority wouldn't.

Really? I find it easier to watch than ever before. Melb City, Brisbane, Perth, Melb Victory, Sydney, Adelaide all play brilliant football to watch, only teams I really struggle to get excited by are CCM and Jets and even they have great pace down the wings that can lead to end to end football.

As I've also pointed out, he broke his foot after scoring on debut for Stuttgart.

Really? I find it easier to watch than ever before. Melb City, Brisbane, Perth, Melb Victory, Sydney, Adelaide all play brilliant football to watch, only teams I really struggle to get excited by are CCM and Jets and even they have great pace down the wings that can lead to end to end football.

As I've also pointed out, he broke his foot after scoring on debut for Stuttgart.
Fair enough. I just really can't get interested in that level of football.

So he scored a goal. That doesn't change the fact he had to come back to the A League to get regular game time.

It's a fact. He never played a competitive game for Stuttgart's first team iirc

"On 10 July 2013, Marco started his first game for Die Schwaben in a pre-season friendly match against the local Hohenlohe-Selection at the Schönebürgstadion, Crailsheim. Marco scored his first goal for his new club in this game to give VfB a 4–0 lead just before half time, VfB went on to win the match 5–0.[25]

On 17 July 2013, Marco suffered an injury setback during training that sidelined the Kiwi international for between four and six weeks."

So he scored a goal. That doesn't change the fact he had to come back to the A League to get regular game time.
He played a bit for Greuther Fürth in the 3rd div. And then pretty regularly at FC Thun.

Rightly or wrongly the Swiss Super League isn't looked at as a step up from the Championship or A-League for Australian/Kiwi fans which is my point about Wood making bigger waves than Rojas

It's a fact. He never played a competitive game for Stuttgart's first team iirc

"On 10 July 2013, Marco started his first game for Die Schwaben in a pre-season friendly match against the local Hohenlohe-Selection at the Schönebürgstadion, Crailsheim. Marco scored his first goal for his new club in this game to give VfB a 4–0 lead just before half time, VfB went on to win the match 5–0.[25]

On 17 July 2013, Marco suffered an injury setback during training that sidelined the Kiwi international for between four and six weeks."

I'm not saying it's not a fact mate, I'm saying I really can't be bothered arguing with you about Rojas. It's also a fact he broke his foot which stuffed his chance.

Fair enough. I just really can't get interested in that level of football.

He had regular game time.. there are plenty of reasons players come back. :drunk:

He played a bit for Greuther Fürth in the 3rd div. And then pretty regularly at FC Thun.

Rightly or wrongly the Swiss Super League isn't looked at as a step up from the Championship or A-League for Australian/Kiwi fans which is my point about Wood making bigger waves than Rojas

I didn't realise that was the point, thought the point was Wood was the only player the Kiwis were excited by.

I'm not saying it's not a fact mate, I'm saying I really can't be bothered arguing with you about Rojas. It's also a fact he broke his foot which stuffed his chance.
You were saying he scored a goal on his Stuttgart debut which to those who don't know might think that was in the actual Bundesliga when it was actually against a 3rd or 4th tier side in a friendly. He never played in the Bundesliga & saw game time in Switzerland. But like Vidosic didn't see the need to stay there with a pretty good domestic comp to come back to which he knows very well that he is a star in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back