Sky Bet Championship 16/17

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading missed 10 of 18 penalties this season before the playoffs. Not sure they have a good contender haha.

Sure haha but he seems to have a mare whenever I watch him play.

Commentators predicting a fast return

Went OK against Newcastle and brighton

In 1 game. I seem to remember the return fixture being more favourable for us. ;)

But in all seriousness, congrats! I was not too fussed who won - probably leaned towards Huddersfield for Mooy. Seeing Sir Patrick Stewart sweating it out in the shootout really made me hope you guys won in the end.

Wagner has to be considered a bit of a genius for what he's achieved with the resources available to him. Gave Brighton and us an almighty push for those automatic promotion places. Believe I read he's the first foreign manager to win the playoff final too.

-2 GD in the season regular and then gets promoted without scoring a goal all play-offs.

No team ever has had such a charmed season. Jammy bastards.

Pretty crazy stat isn't it. Quite the anomaly. Not sure we'll see something like that again soon.

Reading not being able to sell out their allocation at Wembley for the play off to get back in the top division shows why it's not a bad thing they're not going back up.

Well done to the Terriers. Would have preferred Wednesday going up but more Yorkshire teams the merrier.

Reading not being able to sell out their allocation at Wembley for the play off to get back in the top division shows why it's not a bad thing they're not going back up.

Well done to the Terriers. Would have preferred Wednesday going up but more Yorkshire teams the merrier.
Why? Their stadium capacity wouldn't be anywhere close to that and they don't need that many for away days. They'd still sell out most PL games had they made it, I think.

Reading are a weird one. They are similar to Hull in a way, having made it to the top tier in recent times, yet because of their recent attempts, and their solid tier 2 status, and the fact that their novelty has disappeared, people seem to have some 'meh' feeling about them.

The big major difference being... well... they are the most vanilla club in the top 2 tiers. Heck, even their team introduction was as vanillas as they come.

You remember that we had a discussion about what attracts people to a club. What attracts people to follow Reading outside of living in Berkshire anyway?

What a silly way to determine if a club deserves to go up.

Reading are a weird one. They are similar to Hull in a way, having made it to the top tier in recent times, yet because of their recent attempts, and their solid tier 2 status, and the fact that their novelty has disappeared, people seem to have some 'meh' feeling about them.

The big major difference being... well... they are the most vanilla club in the top 2 tiers. Heck, even their team introduction was as vanillas as they come.

You remember that we had a discussion about what attracts people to a club. What attracts people to follow Reading outside of living in Berkshire anyway?

That's pretty much my reasoning and it is superficial I'll admit. West Brom could be classed as 'vanilla' in some regards but has some history and bigger support behind them. Reading is a beautiful part of the world and very historic but they're team is largely tier 2 and forgettable.

That's pretty much my reasoning and it is superficial I'll admit. West Brom could be classed as 'vanilla' in some regards but has some history and bigger support behind them. Reading is a beautiful part of the world and very historic but they're team is largely tier 2 and forgettable.

That's the thing. West Brom are vanilla even with Pulis. It's funny because Stoke are still seen in that very light (the cold wet Tuesday night). I thought Jeff Astle day could shed further light on them, but, nope, nothing. Pulis is the only thing going for West Brom, and even then, Stoke did it better.

Reading on the other hand...
reading%20history%201953.gif

upload_2017-5-30_12-41-52.png
Reading_FC_crest_%281987-96%29.svg

These used to be their crests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading need Slough to become a football league club just so they can appear less vanilla

That's a good shout.

I'm not as familiar with my Reading stereotypes as I am with slough, but how do Reading people carry themselves, especially in comparison to Slough? Are they more snobby, or are they somewhat similar to Slough?

It's weird because their only major rivals are... Aldershot Town... yeah, kinda like Watford and Luton, this.

That's a good shout.

I'm not as familiar with my Reading stereotypes as I am with slough, but how do Reading people carry themselves, especially in comparison to Slough? Are they more snobby, or are they somewhat similar to Slough?

It's weird because their only major rivals are... Aldershot Town... yeah, kinda like Watford and Luton, this.

Wouldn't even see we have one, we have a few that are equal measures I guess - Scunny, Grimsby, Leeds I guess.

That's a good shout.

All those Bedfordshire/Berkshire towns are a bit samey to me. Bojangles called it earlier - nice countryside, but the towns lack something in character. If people are influenced by their surroundings then you get the gist of what they'd be like. Milton Keynes is another place to avoid.

Wouldn't even see we have one, we have a few that are equal measures I guess - Scunny, Grimsby, Leeds I guess.

Ah yes, the Humber Derby. Well, as close as you can get to one. You guys have barely been in the same division together.

What about Sheffield United? I heard there was a thing between those two teams.

At least as a Yorkshire team in the top two tiers, you're going to be surrounded by a lot of fellow Yorkies.

All those Bedfordshire/Berkshire towns are a bit samey to me. Bojangles called it earlier - nice countryside, but the towns lack something in character. If people are influenced by their surroundings then you get the gist of what they'd be like. Milton Keynes is another place to avoid.

Fair enough. I though there could be some Snob v Slob thing going on there. Guess they are birds of a feather.

MK's a tough one. It's a new town, but experimental in a way. I know it's famous for its roundabouts and concrete style. I also heard that it's in that awkward area for being 'too rural to be urban' but 'too urban to be rural'?

It's like it doesn't know what exactly it is?

Ah yes, the Humber Derby. Well, as close as you can get to one. You guys have barely been in the same division together.

At least as a Yorkshire team in the top two tiers, you're going to be surrounded by a lot of fellow Yorkies.

Yeah, Sheff United and Sheff Wednesday, as well as Hudd Town are other teams you could throw in.

Fair enough. I though there could be some Snob v Slob thing going on there. Guess they are birds of a feather.

MK's a tough one. It's a new town, but experimental in a way. I know it's famous for its roundabouts and concrete style. I also heard that it's in that awkward area for being 'too rural to be urban' but 'too urban to be rural'?

A bit like Canberra without the parliament?

There's definitely a West and East Yorkshire divide primarily between Leeds and Sheffield. The famous 'war of the monster trucks' incident has always been one of my favourite stories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Monster_Trucks

I think a lot arced up at the (90 pounds for good seats) prices , whereas its total novelty in Hudds. Plus the feeling that despite leeds and bradford being cities, historically town fans think it always should have been them.
I do wonder about those German guys having given up cosmoplitan german cities for the delights of huddersfield

MK's concrete cows. Very iconic!

I stayed there for a conference once and have passed through there a few times. These newly built towns do seem to have a bit of a problem getting it right. The little towns and villages found throughout England that have architecture from various centuries are what I find appealing.

I remember going to Grimsby in the Anglo-Italian Cup about 25 years ago. The game was so dire, we ended up counting the crowd (996 if you're interested). The town really lives up to its name, one of the grimmest places I've been. The highlight of that night was heading back over the Humber for a few real ales in town with my Hull mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back