Sky Bet Championship 16/17

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha saw it last night on facebook - think it was Burnley of all clubs? I guess that's our local derby for next season. :p

Funny that it's Burnley, and not new boys Huddersfield. Geography can be very interesting. Nearly 200km away for your 'Derby' Day.

Must be a long time since Newcastle was this isolated.

Leicester weren't tipped to go down were they? From memory most thought they'd do pretty well.

Everyone was raving about QPR and their Prem Experience and 'Arry. Most had us as one of the three relegation spots alongside Burnley. I think we were tipped to go down by nearly all of the Telegraph experts (I remember Henry Winter being the only one to suggest that we'd do much better).

Huddersfield obviously, and desperately tbh, need to improve the quality and depth of their options in the attacking third.

I like their defence. In Smith and Lowe they have fullbacks who are competent in both defence and going forward. Schindler is a very good defender and Hefele has that passion and intense fighting spirit that will serve him and the team well in the relegation scrap. I suspect they'll try to retain Ward who seems a decent keeper.

You would think that they'll try to keep Mooy and if they're successful in him and Hogg they'll have a good combination of grit, tenacity, nous and quality. They definitely need depth in this area though and a creative deep midfielder if Mooy goes elsewhere.

But their forward/attacking midfielders were mediocre even by Championship standards and it remains to be seen if two of their better options in this area of the park, in Brown and Palmer, will even be their next season. I like Wells; he's industrious, a willing runner and times his runs and uses his body well. From what I've seen Kachunga looks a good Champ player but probably isn't good enough for the step up. Van La Parra is a horrendous footballer; a Yannick Bolasie-lite. Looks brilliant taking players on, but slows their play while he does his step overs and his end product is beyond garbage. While that Quaner looks an honest trier and a physical specimen but it doesn't seem like he has a lot of quality about him.

Depending on what Mooy does they probably need a couple of defenders and midfielders for depth (more if he doesn't come back) and at least 3 or 4 attacking signings, and maybe even more if Brown and Palmer don't return. I get that they have to keep a similar core and remain heavily reliant on that promotion bounce and their good defence but I think Middlesbrough showed this season that it's not quite enough if you don't have the attacking quality to capitalise, and at this stage they definitely don't have that quality in their forward players.

Their biggest strength seems to be the manager though. He looks a goodun and the type that will extract every little bit of what they players have to give in their first season in the PL.

Direct train connection to
Huddersfield obviously, and desperately tbh, need to improve the quality and depth of their options in the attacking third.

I like their defence. In Smith and Lowe they have fullbacks who are competent in both defence and going forward. Schindler is a very good defender and Hefele has that passion and intense fighting spirit that will serve him and the team well in the relegation scrap. I suspect they'll try to retain Ward who seems a decent keeper.

You would think that they'll try to keep Mooy and if they're successful in him and Hogg they'll have a good combination of grit, tenacity, nous and quality. They definitely need depth in this area though and a creative deep midfielder if Mooy goes elsewhere.

But their forward/attacking midfielders were mediocre even by Championship standards and it remains to be seen if two of their better options in this area of the park, in Brown and Palmer, will even be their next season. I like Wells; he's industrious, a willing runner and times his runs and uses his body well. From what I've seen Kachunga looks a good Champ player but probably isn't good enough for the step up. Van La Parra is a horrendous footballer; a Yannick Bolasie-lite. Looks brilliant taking players on, but slows their play while he does his step overs and his end product is beyond garbage. While that Quaner looks an honest trier and a physical specimen but it doesn't seem like he has a lot of quality about him.

Depending on what Mooy does they probably need a couple of defenders and midfielders for depth (more if he doesn't come back) and at least 3 or 4 attacking signings, and maybe even more if Brown and Palmer don't return. I get that they have to keep a similar core and remain heavily reliant on that promotion bounce and their good defence but I think Middlesbrough showed this season that it's not quite enough if you don't have the attacking quality to capitalise, and at this stage they definitely don't have that quality in their forward players.

Their biggest strength seems to be the manager though. He looks a goodun and the type that will extract every little bit of what they players have to give in their first season in the PL.

Yeah from what I've seen there's a good measure of chances created but not taken as well as they could. Chances will be harder to come by in EPL

Funny that it's Burnley, and not new boys Huddersfield. Geography can be very interesting. Nearly 200km away for your 'Derby' Day.

Must be a long time since Newcastle was this isolated.

We'll teach those silly clarets a lesson and assert our (extended) local dominance! :D

Given our track record in derbies during the Ashley years, I can honestly say I won't miss them next season. Heck, I think I could go a while without one so long as it means our lesser neighbours are wallowing in mediocrity for a while. :p

There's a stat out there, something a long the lines of; Mooy created 105 chances for the season, he finished with around 6 assists.

They butchered him for most of the season.

Abraham would be a good option for them, Chelsea would want to see how he goes in the Prem.

Cracking player. Didn't get a proper chance with us under Bruce. Started the season well then was out for the season with a bad injury (from a ******* cup game against Doncaster), and was farmed out on loan when we got promoted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bet Newcastle will get at least one Monday night away on the south coast. Premier League couldnt give a toss.

Well, three of them on the south coast. You just know it's gonna happen. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Brighton V Newcastle.

Can see it now on sky. Promos pumping up Monday night football!

Toon vs Brighton billed as the Championship title fight rematch to drum up interest!

or.

Toon vs Soton - a more likeable mob in red and white stripes. North vs South etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back