Politics Sky News Australia is a global hub for climate misinformation, report says

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

I prefer to get a variety of viewpoints, as always the truth is somewhere in the middle.

That’s a middle ground fallacy.

An objective truth doesn’t always lie halfway between two arguments, it can lie completely on one side.

Climate change science truth is only on one side of the discussion. 2020 US election fraud truth is only on one side of the discussion.

Sure by watching Sky News you’ll be getting viewpoints you don’t always hear elsewhere but usually that viewpoint is rubbish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An objective truth doesn’t always lie halfway between two arguments, it can lie completely on one side.

Climate change science truth is only on one side of the discussion. 2020 US election fraud truth is only on one side of the discussion.

Sure by watching Sky News you’ll be getting viewpoints you don’t always hear elsewhere but usually that viewpoint is rubbish

You might be right, but wherever those arguments lie on the "truth spectrum" it's always interesting to hear what others think, for me anyway.

Be like listening to Goebels and the Jews in the 1930s and going “well they both make good points”

Probably not, I mean that is not what I said of course. Listening to other views doesn’t mean you have to believe them (I feel this should be self evident)
I agree somewhat, but I think the waters are muddied once lobbying and vested interests get involved, because then you end up listening to someone saying something as though it is for one reason, but they are obscuring that they are saying it for some reason.

Still interesting to listen to, but important to not just take stuff at face value when often people adopt opinions and personas for unstated reasons.

As always have to shout out Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent" as required reading.

I agree somewhat, but I think the waters are muddied once lobbying and vested interests get involved, because then you end up listening to someone saying something as though it is for one reason, but they are obscuring that they are saying it for some reason.

Still interesting to listen to, but important to not just take stuff at face value when often people adopt opinions and personas for unstated reasons.

As always have to shout out Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent" as required reading.

Yeah well discerning opinion from reporting is difficult for anyone sometimes I think, feels like the lines are even more blurred these days.

I've heard of Chomsky but never read any of his stuff, I'll check it out.

Yes but Sky News aren’t part of this viewpoint BS.

It’s blatant lies and propaganda.

This.

I remember Media Watch once called them out on presenting some untruths/opinion as truth/news. The Sky producer actually responded to Media Watch, more or less saying something along the lines of "there are plenty of other news sources for that (bland factual reporting), we choose to cater for viewers wanting a different kind of experience"

Soz I don't have a link, but I do remember they unashamedly admitted to peddling BS because that's what their viewers want.

You might be right, but wherever those arguments lie on the "truth spectrum" it's always interesting to hear what others think, for me anyway.
Indeed, but do yourself a favour and give Sky a miss - unless you want to understand the ignorant fringes of society (and I guess there is some value in that).

I'm progressively inclined but am a pretty regular reader of The Australian for example if I want to get a conservative view on something. I might disagree with them (not always) but it's generally more respectable and based on fact and argument as opposed to outrage and bullshit.

Indeed, but do yourself a favour and give Sky a miss - unless you want to understand the ignorant fringes of society (and I guess there is some value in that).

I'm progressively inclined but am a pretty regular reader of The Australian for example if I want to get a conservative view on something. I might disagree with them (not always) but it's generally more respectable and based on fact and argument as opposed to outrage and bullshit.

Well I certainly enjoy that part of it no doubt (which is why this board is fun too if I’m being honest)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back