Sky News is trash. Tests the waters with spot for Nazi Cottrell, immediately regrets it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Cottrell

Westpac is closing his account down

Disagree with his views, but I don't think Australian citizens should have their personal bank accounts shut down either due to being unpopular outcasts, they're still people and need a place to store money so they can access that money and survive, everyone who earns an income should be afforded that right

Just opening a can of worms here

Sky News has some very big problems to solve, and one of them is who's going to replace David Speers as the chief political editor when Speers goes to the ABC to do the 'Insiders' program in 2020?

On DRA-L01 using BigFooty.com mobile app
PETA CREDLIN. The most astute political commentator in the country.

Just on Cottrell

Westpac is closing his account down

Disagree with his views, but I don't think Australian citizens should have their personal bank accounts shut down either due to being unpopular outcasts, they're still people and need a place to store money so they can access that money and survive, everyone who earns an income should be afforded that right

Just opening a can of worms here
This is just the media spin.

They are really closing it because he abused/threatened a staff member.

If so then fair enough and hopefully not political reasons then
No, I'm not sure if that was Cotterell's fault or the media.

But allegedly he went off at a staff member, who complained and the bank decided to cut its losses. I doubt they even knew who he was initially.

If he was using the account for dubious fundraising related to potentially illegal activity, or if the account was simply inactive, they probably just compiled a series of ToS violations and decided it would be simpler cut their losses and not have to deal with him or bad press in the future.

Receiving a letter from your bank saying they’ll be closing your account is hardly a laughing matter. But when far-right nationalist Blair Cottrell received that very letter, apparently the first thing he did was ‘laugh out loud’. “Lol, world-communism in effect,” he posted to his profile on Gab, one of the few social media platforms he hasn’t been banned from. Sharing a photo of the letter he received from Westpac Banking Corporation, Cottrell told his followers it was due to “international ethnic-genocide of white people”. “They’re closing my bank accounts now too and won’t even tell me why,” he said.

The letter doesn’t elaborate on what these ‘commercial imperatives’ are, leaving Cottrell’s followers to rant about discrimination in the comments section. “I’d leave a cent in it so they have to mail you a cheque,” commented one Gab user. “That is absolutely disgraceful. Is that even legal?” queried another. “I don’t see how it can be legal to terminate a contract without supplying a reason for doing it,” commented another user. “‘Commercial imperatives’ is not a reason. Unless all similar accounts are being closed as well, you have a good case for discrimination. Their claim not to have to give a reason is invalid.”

This isn’t the first time Cottrell has been banned by a corporation. Late last year, he was booted off PayPal — which he had been using to fundraise for an appeal of his conviction under Victoria’s Racial and Religious Tolerance Act for participating in the mock Islamic beheading by the United Patriots Front in Bendigo in 2015.

After PayPal pulled the plug, Cottrell told his supporters they could donate to support his appeal by directly depositing money into his bank account. That could have played a role in Westpac’s decision.

Convinced the bank’s move was intended to distance itself from his controversial views, Cottrell pointed out that he’s not the first to be de-platformed by a major bank for personal views or reputation. “It’s interesting to note that in 2015, Julie Hoskins of a local community group in Bendigo, Victoria had her Bendigo Bank account closed while challenging the local government’s planned Islamic Mosque, school & housing development at court,” he wrote. “I am currently engaged in a legal battle against the State and it’s (sic) Attorney-General for ‘intent to incite ridicule of Muslims on Facebook’ and my bank just closed my account as well. Also considering the slander coming from the mainstream media, is financial/social terrorism a government response to any individual who stands up to it?”

When news.com.au contacted Westpac for comment, a spokesperson said: “We are unable to comment on individual customer matters due to our customer privacy and confidentiality obligations.” Westpac has given Cottrell a month to make alternative banking arrangements before his account is closed on July 25th. [\QUOTE]

Here's another article worth reading

Here's another article worth reading

If the bank were suspicious the money wasn't going where intended, that he wasn't paying the correct tax, that there may have been an element of fraud involved etc. these could all have caused them to pull the trigger. Hypothetically. Which I guessed was a possibility.

But, allegedly the account was nearly empty and he had had a verbal altercation with a staff member. Which would be a simple explanation for the ToS violation.

He was my god. But this Charmers and Keanaly are bad news.

He needs to go back to campaigning for economic equality. No one gives a crap about this pc rubbish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul’s honesty is a bit annoying to some people, others don’t mind it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back