SkyBet Championship 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Anything can happen in the Championship.

It's never as clear cut as it looks.

Exactly.

I think at the moment the top 10 look a little clearer of the field, both from a points and GD perspective, and I'd expect the teams coming up come from that bunch (Norwich, Leeds, Sheffield, Boro, Derby, WBA, Forest, Villa, Brum, Stoke)

As to who it is though, no idea

Most will disagree but I would like to see Leeds and Forest promoted. I think it'll be good for the league to have two traditionally big clubs back in the top division, certainly better than nothing clubs WBA who don't really offer anything. It's just unfortunate that Wednesday are really struggling atm.

Most will disagree but I would like to see Leeds and Forest promoted. I think it'll be good for the league to have two traditionally big clubs back in the top division, certainly better than nothing clubs WBA who don't really offer anything. It's just unfortunate that Wednesday are really struggling atm.

WBA have spent most of their existence in the top flight though. :think:

It's easy to confuse a mediocre, unattractive playing style such as WBA under Pulis with a club's 'importance'. Remember they finished 8th quite recently and played pretty attractive football.

I’m watching as much of the Championship than I am the PL this season. It’s so competitive. Leeds have had a s**t load of injuries and remained right up there, so it looks good for them when they get all their players back (which should mean they won’t burn out either having not played 46+ games). I think if there’s one team Norwich and Leeds might be looking at though is Aston Villa. They’ve started to get their s**t together since they got rid of Bruce. Whether they can make up a ten point gap though is questionable

Leeds, Villa and Wednesday are probably the three biggest teams in the Championship, historically anyway. WBA aren’t a “nothing” club either. There are probably half a dozen more “nothing” clubs currently playing in the Prem than West Brom

I’m watching as much of the Championship than I am the PL this season. It’s so competitive. Leeds have had a s**t load of injuries and remained right up there, so it looks good for them when they get all their players back (which should mean they won’t burn out either having not played 46+ games). I think if there’s one team Norwich and Leeds might be looking at though is Aston Villa. They’ve started to get their s**t together since they got rid of Bruce. Whether they can make up a ten point gap though is questionable

They got their s**t together under him when they got rid of RDM and made the Play Off Final last year. The club just perennially has issues. If they don't go up this season they'll go through the cycle again next year.

They got their s**t together under him when they got rid of RDM and made the Play Off Final last year. The club just perennially has issues. If they don't go up this season they'll go through the cycle again next year.
Not convinced. Pretty sure most Villa fans wanted Bruce out. Think they were chanting for him to be removed by the end

Not convinced. Pretty sure most Villa fans wanted Bruce out. Think they were chanting for him to be removed by the end

Yeah they also wanted him out six months before he took them to the Play Off Final. They're reactionary idiots.

Leeds, Villa and Wednesday are probably the three biggest teams in the Championship, historically anyway. WBA aren’t a “nothing” club either. There are probably half a dozen more “nothing” clubs currently playing in the Prem than West Brom

Probably need to include Forest in that group

This has been a very good sign. Last few seasons one injury and we've dropped our bundle.

Wednesday number 1 keeper and Ireland international Kieren Westwood is set to join Leeds on a free in January. Such an outrage. Has been dropped for our 1st team and banished from the club because he has one more game until his contract signing clause means we have to resign him on more money. Instead we're playing a 20 year kid who's had about 1-2 cleansheets all season. Crazy :(

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/12/...eld-wednesdays-keiren-westwood-is-set-to-joi/

Wednesday number 1 keeper and Ireland international Kieren Westwood is set to join Leeds on a free in January. Such an outrage. Has been dropped for our 1st team and banished from the club because he has one more game until his contract signing clause means we have to resign him on more money. Instead we're playing a 20 year kid who's had about 1-2 cleansheets all season. Crazy :(

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/12/...eld-wednesdays-keiren-westwood-is-set-to-joi/

I seem to remember us chasing him maybe last year?

Makes sense for us to sign a keeper with Blackman breaking a leg, though Peacock-Farrell has been great so far this season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seem to remember us chasing him maybe last year?

Makes sense for us to sign a keeper with Blackman breaking a leg, though Peacock-Farrell has been great so far this season

Apparantly Cardiff offered us 4 million for him earlier this year too, and we knocked it back. Hasn't played a game all year, and now will walk for a free. Great keeper, great team-player and onfield leader, he would be an absolute steal. His only setback is high wages but that could be justified for you guys with a promotion push . Hope if he does go, he does well for you and gets a few games!

Leeds go top thanks to a Bamford winner with his first touch after a 3 month lay off. Losing Saiz back to Spain due to personal reasons is a massive blow especially with our injury list. Izzy Brown isn’t far away and can play his position but would be surprised if we don’t bolster the midfield in January.

It would be interesting to see an old rival (Leeds) promoted.

As for Nottingham Forest, I can't even remember them playing in the PL. It's been a long time out for such a storied club.

Leeds
WBA
Swansea
Forest
Boro
Sheff Utd
Derby
Norwich

I'd have them all ahead of Aston. Hard to rank those 8 but Leeds have certainly looked dominant able to get wins in tricky situations.

I think WBA has been next best. Scoring enough away goals to maintain a place near the top.

Norwich has fought hard but I'm not sure they'll hold out Derby or Sheff Utd for very long.

Forest has been awesome but the top is too good for them to get promoted this season. Boro looked amazing early but just isn't scoring enough goals, stopping power only takes you so for without getting on the scoreboard.

Swansea are the enigma. Look brilliant in patches, looks dreadful at times too.

Villa is just too leaky.

Derby fans have been quite positive about Lampard/Morris' influence and the football they're playing, but I'm not convinced that they'll win promotion.

It would be interesting to see an old rival (Leeds) promoted.

As for Nottingham Forest, I can't even remember them playing in the PL. It's been a long time out for such a storied club.
Having a big name doesn’t mean anything now. Without decent owners any club coming up is just going to hang around the bottom five or six and eventually go down. You need a model like Wolves have and perhaps like Leeds and Villa now have to come up and stay up.

4 last games for Leeds were 3 1-0 wins and a 2-1. I haven't seen any of the games, so not sure if that's a good or a bad sign for what's to come.

4 last games for Leeds were 3 1-0 wins and a 2-1. I haven't seen any of the games, so not sure if that's a good or a bad sign for what's to come.

We did not play well on Saturday, though the game was played in an absolute downpour so I don't know how much of a reflection that is of the weather. One moment of class from Hernandez (nutmeg through the centre hafl to set up Bamford) was enough, and really one of the game's few highlights.

However, keeping clean sheets with essentially a second string backline (Kalvin Phillips - a midfielder - is playing centre back at the moment) is encouraging.

Big game away to Villa this weekend, would take a draw.

Sidebar - 5 wins in a row for the first time in ... 9 years?

Massive game on Sunday, which happily for Aussie viewers, has moved to a timeslot where Bein Sports can telecast it on Foxteln Aston Villa v Leeds United at Villa park. I would say if Leeds win, you can lock them in as one of the auto promotion teams, Pablo Hernandez has been the best player in the championship for the last 6 weeks or so . I can see Norwich having a post Christmas drop off, so i think it will be down to Leeds and West Brom as to who will go up as champions.

Massive game on Sunday, which happily for Aussie viewers, has moved to a timeslot where Bein Sports can telecast it on Foxteln Aston Villa v Leeds United at Villa park. I would say if Leeds win, you can lock them in as one of the auto promotion teams, Pablo Hernandez has been the best player in the championship for the last 6 weeks or so . I can see Norwich having a post Christmas drop off, so i think it will be down to Leeds and West Brom as to who will go up as champions.
Whilst I obviously hope so, still pretty early call. We have a tough run after New Years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back