Slashing the half time break to 10 minutes

Half time break should be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure either way about this....if it is deemed that it has no adverse impact on players (or even has a positive impact) then I am all for it

...I do find it ridiculous how common the idea that strategic decision making should be based on whether "people are asking for it". Mindless nonsense

pregame, so 30 mins before the game - in front of half the crowd - just dumb.

Presumably it would be just before the game...it would be in between the pre game warm ups and the actual match.....It certainly isn't "just dumb" FFS

Are you guys playing in geelong this year? How about hawthorn or collingwood? F*** this cartel sucks.

Seems to be only Geelong people speaking in support of something no-one asked for, much like Hocking's "It was one of the call-outs from the fans" re the "three challenges" proposition.

Totally interrupts the time-honoured dynamic of a day at the footy. Players may as well not leave the ground. One quarter will blur into the next.

Literally nobody was calling for a change to half time. Can only assume it's so someone can say "I did this" when they apply for a pay rise.

Seems to be only Geelong people speaking in support of something no-one asked for, much like Hocking's "It was one of the call-outs from the fans" re the "three challenges" proposition.

Totally interrupts the time-honoured dynamic of a day at the footy. Players may as well not leave the ground. One quarter will blur into the next.

Literally nobody was calling for a change to half time. Can only assume it's so someone can say "I did this" when they apply for a pay rise.

AFL driven (for whatever reason - my opinion to eventually shorten the quarters - use this as a test)

They leak this s**t to ******** reporters to leak to the public and gauge reaction - then act accordingly based on reaction.

One good thing would be half the time of loud music and having to listen to the idiots over the PA system, less gambling ads and inane bullshit like kiss cam.
Actually ive convinced myself. Lets do this.
I do find the half-time break can be long when at the ground. But its not a major issue, and depends who I'm there with. If its better for the players to go shorter, then fine. Otherwise, it seems a fairly pointless change.
But, yes, the relentless PA noise and faux-fun needs to be scrapped. Leave that for basketball and T20.

Short enough games to fit two back to back on Friday night NRL style would be a great incentive to keep the next tv rights deal going up. West Coast to become the new Broncos playing all their home games on Friday as the second leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFL driven (for whatever reason - my opinion to eventually shorten the quarters - use this as a test)

They're already considering it to complement the shorter break.

I don't think the AFL will be happy until they've chased all their fans onto TV.

Why did they make 45 seconds between goals two years ago? At the ground there is 25 seconds of nothing, sometimes with yobbos yelling out “bounce the bloody footy!” Just dead time. Happy with less time in breaks. But not less footy like Dangerfield was saying last year.

Why did they make 45 seconds between goals two years ago? At the ground there is 25 seconds of nothing, sometimes with yobbos yelling out “bounce the bloody footy!” Just dead time. Happy with less time in breaks. But not less footy like Dangerfield was saying last year.
Its so the tv network can fit an advert in.

Before the umps had earpeices with a chime there was a flashing light in the stands to tell the umpire to resume the game

To be fair, this isn't really a "mess with the game" type change. It's more of an admin change, likely 10 minutes is a bit short but 15 is probably fine.

In terms of "rest" it's actually more beneficial for the players to keep moving at a very light intensity, that's why they walk around or often slowly cycle or whatnot, 10 minutes would still give time to recover aerobically although 15 would probably be better.

I think 15 is the best fit for player and spectator.

It’s been fine for over 100 years. When i think of issues with the game which need resolving, this isn’t a priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goal review?

I still thought it was 30secs?

But if they have probably because of goal reviews and now the new 6/6/6 rule?

s**t like this is why the game gets longer - as usual new rules bring in new consequences

I heard Jeff Kennett moaning that players being able to challenge umpire decisions will slow the game down, well Jeff, the AFL has cut 10 minutes by reducing the half time break!

I'm indifferent to 1/2 time being 10 minutes. A 20 minute break is ok if you're at home watching the game on TV. You can do other things, but if I'm at the game I find 20 minutes a bit too long.

I for one am eagerly waiting for the AFL to introduce three 5 minute quarters, with the last quarter being replaced by a rousing round of kiss-chasey. The result of the game will be decided by a "goals-to-kisses" matrix.

Seriously just leave the game alone for 5 god damn minutes. We don't need a new rule/ feature every season.

I for one am eagerly waiting for the AFL to introduce three 5 minute quarters, with the last quarter being replaced by a rousing round of kiss-chasey. The result of the game will be decided by a "goals-to-kisses" matrix.

Seriously just leave the game alone for 5 god damn minutes. We don't need a new rule/ feature every season.

But the people want change (according to the AFL)

Do you have trouble distinguishing between the first and second qtr? Cos you comment clearly suggests you do.

Back