Slashing the half time break to 10 minutes

Half time break should be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

10 minutes is too short imo. I think the length half time break is good for the game. It gives tb ee players a reasonable rest before the 3rd qtr and gives the coaches time to make alterations to their stretegy.

I don't know if it's just me or not, but it appears to me it is often the 3rd qtr where the tide of the game changes the most. Changing the momentum of the game doesn't happen as much in the 2nd or 3rd qtrs.

I think it's mainly because half time gives the teams to evaluate their strategy.

10 minutes is too short imo. I think the length half time break is good for the game. It gives tb ee players a reasonable rest before the 3rd qtr and gives the coaches time to make alterations to their stretegy.

I don't know if it's just me or not, but it appears to me it is often the 3rd qtr where the tide of the game changes the most. Changing the momentum of the game doesn't happen as much in the 2nd or 3rd qtrs.

I think it's mainly because half time gives the teams to evaluate their strategy.
Coaches have said it will not change the time they have to make changes if players stay out on the ground for the break.

Coaches have said it will not change the time they have to make changes if players stay out on the ground for the break.

but players will eventually complain they are too tired from short rest - afl will then shorten the game time, getting what they are sowing the seed for right now

count on it (5 years)

It’s been fine for over 100 years. When i think of issues with the game which need resolving, this isn’t a priority.
I agree it's perfectly fine as is, but I think 15 minutes would be fine too, and possibly even better for the continuity of the game and slight shortening of the peripheral stuff for the broadcast. There seems to be an exorbitant level of outrage for a change that doesn't affect the game on field, although to be fair 10 minutes isn't great for fan experience at the game.

This is obviously the AFL trying to soften us up, so when they cut it back to 15 then it doesnt seem so bad. I agree 20 minutes is too long and unnecessary..To avoid injuries players have to come out and do a full warm up again. In soccer half time is 15 minutes and players run straight from the sheds and into position.

I also agree that the game goes for far too long, iMO the easiest way to address this is to only have time on for the last 5 minutes of a quarter.

The afl is obssessed with shortening the game because boomers are entering their twilight years and now complaining about games being too long so they can go to bed early (see sheedy and walls comments).

Would we rather they appease them by shortening the game or the breaks? I vote for breaks.

I think you will find it has nothing to do with boomers, and everything to do with parents and wanting the night games to finish earlier so the kids can actually watch the game. Even myself in my late 30s have usually dozed off on the Friday night games which dont finish until almost 11.

Past generations the bulk of games were played Saturday or Sunday arvo, plenty of footy for kids to watch.. Now they will move to Thurs, Friday & Saturday nights hosting all the blockbusters. If the kids cant watch the games they will lose marketshare in coming generations.

I think you will find it has nothing to do with boomers, and everything to do with parents and wanting the night games to finish earlier so the kids can actually watch the game. Even myself in my late 30s have usually dozed off on the Friday night games which dont finish until almost 11.

Past generations the bulk of games were played Saturday or Sunday arvo, plenty of footy for kids to watch.. Now they will move to Thurs, Friday & Saturday nights hosting all the blockbusters. If the kids cant watch the games they will lose marketshare in coming generations.
Then why is it boomers leading the charge. Most kids go to bed before 8:30. Halving the length of game still isnt going to enable them to watch all of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve heard the arguments for and against.

Seems like a no-brainer. Except for the Auskickers. Will no-one think of the children? We’ve taken away their future climate, now we want to take away their 10 mins of fame.

Move start times for night games to 710pm

Do you have trouble distinguishing between the first and second qtr? Cos you comment clearly suggests you do.

I don't like the idea at all but haven't seen fit to criticise other opinions.

Going to the game is all about routine/ritual. The half time break is used by attendees for many different things. Can honestly say I've never noticed people twiddling their thumbs, bored shitless, waiting for the match to restart.

Of course if you're sitting at home, you can look out the window.

Just get rid of the breaks all together, siren goes, 30 secs to get in position for next quarter. 2 hours straight play, no interchange either.

And the proposed new rule to allow players to appeal a goal umpire's decision: You only have to watch how Geelong players appeal against every goal scored against them to know where this latest bit of Hocking nonsense has come from.

Was being tongue-in-cheek about Geelong, since the first two people to speak in support were Hocking and Dangerfield.

Hocking claimed the ability for players to challenge goal umpiring decisions “was one of the call-outs from the fans”. Really? Via which channel?

I'll admit to general skepticism about anything the AFL does without an obvious need or plausible explanation.

The AFL has forever had the leading argument that 'people' think the game takes too long. 'People', really meaning broadcasters of course. The AFL puts it out there to soften the blow when they bring it in.

I have no idea whether it's a good or bad thing. But this is all the broadcaster, maybe to offset the time taken for score reviews.

I don't care, but by the same token - I don't care. So hard to see how this is a pressing change, like most AFL changes. They are walking wasted incomes at a corporate not for profit looking for an excuse to exist IMO.

Back