Slashing the half time break to 10 minutes

Half time break should be?

• Total voters
Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just leave the game alone. Please.

This is clearly a talking point to throw up in the off-season, to garner more interest and attention.

The problem is, some of these bullshit ideas actually get traction, and become a genuine consideration.

As you say, just leave it alone - too many changes, too quickly.

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
the southern end of the minyip swamp
AFL Club
Geelong
This is clearly a talking point to throw up in the off-season, to garner more interest and attention.

The problem is, some of these bullshit ideas actually get traction, and become a genuine consideration.

you beat me to it.happens every year in the off season, throw up controversial s**t and the media run with it. Fooking mclachaln has to go

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
well, at least this 10 minute shorter proposal has an actual effect on the viewing experience. they've tinkered with the game under the guise of it being too long before, and reduced the tiring and bloated spectacle of AFL by an incredible 1 or 2 minutes. it has so transparently never been anything to do with the good of the game.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
Short enough games to fit two back to back on Friday night NRL style would be a great incentive to keep the next tv rights deal going up. West Coast to become the new Broncos playing all their home games on Friday as the second leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May work if we had a third WA side (Perth United "Royal Falcons") to share the Friday Night load

There’s far more pressing issues to resolve in the game than stuff like this. Umps, MRP, Goal reviews, footy at grass roots level etc, all more important to discuss than a halftime break. That’s my pov anyway.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
How are the smokers meant to get outside, finish breathing smoke into their lungs and get back to their seats in ten minutes?

Bluey Shelton

Debutant
Nov 12, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Tom Browne is reporting (so may not actually have been suggested) that the AFL is considering slashing the half time break to just 10 minutes. Thoughts

The current break is too long for players as they have to find ways to keep their bodies from cooling down and risking injury eg stationary bikes, walking around etc. 12 minutes would be better.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The current break is too long for players as they have to find ways to keep their bodies from cooling down and risking injury eg stationary bikes, walking around etc. 12 minutes would be better.

Yeah, I like the idea of 12 minutes

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
The reality is that the AFL could change to a round ball and be totally non contact and you will all keep attending and watching, the AFL know that their supporters are sheep, brainwashed to thinking if I don’t attend or watch you might harm your club you love.
The only thing these muppets at head office will ever listen to is lower income so if you are not happy where they are taking the sport then stop funding them to keep making unnecessary changes. Don’t go, don’t watch and especially don’t be members or financial supporters.
So many people seem disgruntled with the game but year after year they just keep pumping their hard earned into the sport.
Make a stand, hand in your membership and stop attending.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
10 minutes is too short imo. I think the length half time break is good for the game. It gives tb ee players a reasonable rest before the 3rd qtr and gives the coaches time to make alterations to their stretegy.

I don't know if it's just me or not, but it appears to me it is often the 3rd qtr where the tide of the game changes the most. Changing the momentum of the game doesn't happen as much in the 2nd or 3rd qtrs.

I think it's mainly because half time gives the teams to evaluate their strategy.

Reminds me of Chris Rock's issues with a half hour lunch break.

A team would spend about 6 minutes of those 10 minutes in total getting to the change rooms and then back on the ground after running themselves into the ground for an hour. It should be what they need, not us slobs in the crowd/on the couch complaing about halftime dragging on a bit.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
15 mins is plenty, 10mins is nuts! They may as well stay out on the ground? Qtr time breaks are 6 mins as it is. Just reduce the Qtr length to 18mins plus time on...? All this changing of the rules does my head in, obviously Gil and his mad geniuses are working on some master plan to bugger up the game in 2020?

Back